Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resident Evil CODE: Veronica, outstanding title or overrated average game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Bianca View Post
      Low blow, man!

Alfred, Alexia, Steve (even Rodrigo!) will always have a special place in my gamer heart.
      Agreed on the Rodrigo part-- one of the biggest travesty's of Veronica, like several of the other titles, is what could have been. Forget the creepy 'sibling' angle, Wesker's High School wedgie antics with Chris...it's Rodrigo, man- the dude came off as freaking cool in a very short span of time, aided in part by a very good voice actor. Hold off playing as Chris until longer for all I could care, cut down his play time ect, I just wanted to see Rodrigo Juan Raval somehow claw his way out of that prison only to meet a tragic end, not simply bear witness to it's conclusion.

And the guy got spat out by a giant slug. Only to then hear Chris blurt out, "Hold on!" lol.
      The horror is alive, the horror is expanding; living with the horror, can be demanding

Comment

I hated Steve but I loved Alfred. Maybe I'm just a fan of ridiculously zany villains...

Alfred and Alexia had a Team Rocket vibe going on, but a bit less mature than Jessie and James.
        Last edited by Enigmatism415; 11-13-2014, 10:44 PM.

Comment

I'm still adamant that, for some Resident Evil fans, they disliked Steve because his personality hit too close to home. In real life, many young males would behave very similarly to Steve. Steve acts overconfident and too cool to be scared, and his attempts to impress the lone survivor (who happens to be a hot female) are all behaviors young males would exhibit if they found themselves in a zombie apocalypse. Steve was a teenager and was probably an outcast at school who spent his time playing video games and watching action films; so, he behaved like he was in one of those games or movies. Imagine a lonely teenage boy who recently played Resident Evil 4 and suddenly found himself facing a real apocalypse... They'd probably emulate Leon and act like the situation was one big video game.

Comment

Originally posted by Burt Mustin View Post
            Agreed on the Rodrigo part-- one of the biggest travesty's of Veronica, like several of the other titles, is what could have been. Forget the creepy 'sibling' angle, Wesker's High School wedgie antics with Chris...it's Rodrigo, man- the dude came off as freaking cool in a very short span of time, aided in part by a very good voice actor. Hold off playing as Chris until longer for all I could care, cut down his play time ect, I just wanted to see Rodrigo Juan Raval somehow claw his way out of that prison only to meet a tragic end, not simply bear witness to it's conclusion.

And the guy got spat out by a giant slug. Only to then hear Chris blurt out, "Hold on!" lol.
            I could be wrong but i think the battle game was originally going to be a mini side story that took place in Rodrigo's village.

Comment

Originally posted by OfficerRedfield View Post
              I could be wrong but i think the battle game was originally going to be a mini side story that took place in Rodrigo's village.
              It wasn't a battle game. It was supposed to be a part of the main story and explained more about the island prior to the Ashford family's takeover, more about Rodrigo and his family, and so forth as I recall.

Comment

The game hasn't aged gracefully but I love it for nostalgic reasons.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm still annoyed that the story was incredibly censored. The Nazi angle would've been fantastic, and it was censored so late that there are still some leftovers from it. Heck, the fact that Umbrella is based in Germany is still there considering they didn't change the fact that it's a konzern (German conglomerate).
                  PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

would you please expand on this or point me to the direction where i can read about it? tahnk you!

Comment

Those Hitler youth drapes really tied the manor hall together, man. This thread was helpful from last year: http://projectumbrella.net/forum/Umb...man-Connection
                      The horror is alive, the horror is expanding; living with the horror, can be demanding

Comment

Originally posted by Burt Mustin View Post
                        Those Hitler youth drapes really tied the manor hall together, man. This thread was helpful from last year: http://projectumbrella.net/forum/Umb...man-Connection
                        Wow that was really interesting, amazing how easy it is to not notice such things despite playing the series religiously for so long..
                        4 Itchy Tasty.

Comment

Rockfort Island was initially meant to be an island taken over by the Kruger family shortly after the Battle of Berlin in WWII. The family and its associates escaped Germany via submarine and settled on the island, where they drove out the natives and constructed a concentration camp.

The Antarctic and South American settings were chosen because of their connection to escaped Nazis in other common lore and conspiracy theories. In the final game they're just "there." The physical Aryan appearance of Alfred and Alexia was also used due to the Nazi presence. Naturally the goal of the Umbrella founders to create an evolved human race also tied into the Nazi ideology.

It's a little awkward now because of the remnants of the Nazi side of the story. Undoubtedly the Ashford family still has a lot of German influence, so it's probable that Veronica was German or at least married a German.
                          Last edited by News Bot; 11-16-2014, 11:11 AM.
                          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by Bianca View Post
                            I've spent far too much time on these forums, defending CODE: Veronica and its characters, so I won't waste too much time doing it for the 200th time; but, I still believe, thoroughly, that this game is one of the most impressive feats within the series. This game did a lot for the series in terms of storyline, and I always felt it was the pinnacle of the original plotline. There are certainly flaws with the mechanics and gameplay of the game, but nothing I've ever found intolerable in the 10+ years I've played and replayed this game.
                            Couldn't agree more, some find the plot ridiculous, but it's sinister in the extreme, the environments are some of the most unnerving in the series, and I'll take the quirkiness & eccentricity of Code: Veronica's plot over the spectacular OTT dross of Resident Evil 6 any day. What the game does also do superior to Resident Evil 6 is take the series to an expanded game-play arena with a new but contextually right narrative, independently strong in its on right but still of a theme & atmosphere that feels right with its predecessors. I'm sure someone could find something in CVX as stupidly ridiculous as Simmons's horse mutation, but whilst that feels like a scene from a Carry On film, anything in CVX that may creep in that direction is always going to feel more Hammer House of Horror.

Comment

I insist, I enjoy Resident Evil CODE: Veronica as much as any other Resident Evil game in the series, but I am convinced that it could have been much, much better.

I made a mistake in my first post, there were four features from Resident Evil 3 Nemesis that were present in CODE: Veronica, not three. I skipped the possibility of cancelling the real time cutscenes, which is something really hated from Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2. Having to sit through the terrible dialogs and crappy voice acting at the time.

I had stopped coming to Resident Evil boards since 2006. What I like about this kind of topics is the diversity of opinion, despite that they are vey debate-like and there are some passionate reactions, some even end up in forum wars and thus have to be deleted or closed, hehe. Good thing I didn't make this topic rant-like.

Comment

I always thought CV to be dull, boring and many steps backwards from RE3.
                                Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Working...
                                X