Let the throwdown begin! Original vs. REmake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the throwdown begin! Original vs. REmake

Yup you heard that right. Lets slam those votes and see what the most hardcore fans prefer! I'm gonna have to go for the remake but that's just me.
    Resident Evil (1996)
    44.68%
    Resident Evil (2002)
    55.32%
    They both suck ALL HAIL SILENT HILL!
    0.00%

Can't vote, there's no choice n°4 : "they both rock".

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
      Can't vote, there's no choice n°4 : "they both rock".
      Yup.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Ah man, I know I'm going to be in the minority in favouring the original (even if the REMake looks lovely).
        "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

I chose remake, but I agree with what Wesker said a long, long time ago: I miss the clean aspect of the manor from the original game. It felt like people really lived in it until recently. Can't find that same feeling in rebirth.

Comment

They are equals for me-- in fact, love that both work on their own so well, because care was taken to not make the latter a clone, so it never resulted in dreaded sameness.
            Unsurprising that either game is adored by so many people.

Also, concerning the 'aged' arguments-- it's getting to the point where the only games that are not getting accused of this are 2-D ones. Apparently they are seemingly exempt. And while 1 visually is nowhere near Remake or Zero, it still has this unique atmosphere, or 'vibe' that no game before or since captured.

Now that the poll mentions it, that first SH was pretty groundbreaking too ;P
            Last edited by Burt Mustin; 11-26-2014, 08:50 AM.
            The horror is alive, the horror is expanding; living with the horror, can be demanding

Comment

I love them both, but I'd choose the original over the remake.

It's more fun to play than the remake, not just the original but also the Arrange/Advanced mode of Director's Cut.

Sure the Crimson Heads thing was super cool in the remake, yet it added a LOT of backtracking to the game. Now you don't just go back to the item boxes but also to the rooms with the oil drums. Having to carry the fuel canteen takes away even more inventory space, specially when playing as Jill, at least they finally allowed Chris to have a special item because of it (the lighter). The new section of the underground, Lisa Trevor's lair, was pretty dramatic yet incredibly tedious to play, specially the part where you have to lay down a flamethrower to unlock a door. The music of the gamewasfor themost part (in my opinion) in a very low volume, they should have made it a little more loud. In the mansion it is almost completely lost to the footstep, monster, weapon and lightning sounds. The Hunters were a lot weaker and easier to beat and their section didn't work as well as the original due to the possibility of the Crimson Heads coming back to life. I think the third floor of the mansion waqs a great addition, yet the removal of the two library sections and the lack of view of the heliport were the exact opposite.

Jill's tazer and Chris's hand grenades were a superb addition. It was great to see the a more profound storyline with the inclusion of George Trevor side of the story. I appreciate the fact that Capcom kept aspects from Resident Evil Director's Cut such as zombie Forest Speyer and the handgun blowing zombie heads at random. It's great they remade all the puzzles in the game, making it feel entirely new.

Silent Hill rules as much as Resident Evil and so does Alone in the Dark.

Comment

I used to prefer the original, but now it is so dated.

I really don't know, I'm not a huge fan of REmake and its exaggerated vintage and dirty backgrounds. The Hunters in that game are much less intimidating and the gameplay is too slow paced.

Comment

Original. I could complete it with my eyes closed (if I had sound... "sounds" like a challenge actually), but I still love the old thing.

And while I enjoyed the Crimson Heads from REmake, I always thought it was strange you couldn't just head stomp them to stop them coming back. Any sane person would do that in such a situation..

Comment

Where's that fourth option that says I adore them both? I like them for what they are and they are still good games in their own merits.
                    If you have Twitter, follow me!. =P

Comment

Love the classic for it's sound effects can't beat those classic re1 foot step sound effects and I always love the ps1 graphics.
                      Love the remake for it's extra editions like Lisa , under water Neptune part, extra rooms , Re3 Jill outfit.

Comment

Both are awesome. Sure, Remake introduced some new things in the series, but only did so because of the lack of capabilities on PS1. Besides, if RE1 wasn't good enough and didn't sell well, we would never have a Remake. So, where's the "Both are awesome" option?

Comment

Whilst the PSOne's hardware capabilities were used to explain why stuff was cut from the original RE1, I don't think anything in the REMake was technically impossible on that machine. I suspect the initial engine and time constraints were the main reasons.

If you look at the REMake the big additions were:

Crimson Heads
                          Dynamic Shadows
                          More Rooms & new puzzles in the mansion
                          New bosses / characters such as Trevor
                          Tazer / Knives / Grenades.

If the backgrounds had decent compression (see RE:BTM, AITD: ANK & ED: HTTK) then that could easily free up more than enough memory to track zombie corpses and turn them into crimson heads. The only thing that would be an issue would be having all the doors rendered in polys so CHs could enter on-camera, but having them enter off camera wouldn't have been a major issue. You may have issues with onscreen enemy counts but from the work done on the sequels it's clear that you could get more characters on screen and in a room from the PSOne hardware.

AITD:ANK showed that you could dynamic lighting / shadows on a PSOne by having 2 versions of each background in memory and switching between them. Ok, if we did this with RE1 on the PSOne, it wouldn't have the quality / shadow definition near that of the REMake, but you could definitely take the quality of the RE1 backgrounds up a few notches with it.

And I don't see anything about the new rooms, items, puzzles, bosses or the taser / grenade / knife in the head machanic that wouldn't be possible on a PS1 either. Even the hanging corpse on the 2F could have been done on the PS1.

Obviously you're not going to have something that looks like the REMake but at 256x320, but you could do alot more than Capcom did on that machine. REDeMake for the PSOne anyone ;-)
                          "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

Both are great in their own ways, but I think what really helps the original get up to par with REmake is the nostalgia factor.

Although I played the PSX original first and Director's Cut, Deadly Silence etc., the Sega Saturn version is still my absolute favourite version (controls/battle mode/ticks).

Comment

It's a false dilemma. They're both great in their own way and I like them both.
                              Seibu teh geimu?
                              ---

Comment

Working...
                              X