Let the throwdown begin! Original vs. REmake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
    Entirely subjective. Personally to me TTS is a downgrade. The acting is certainly worse due to limited budget, unclear direction, and character choices. The cutscenes - while entertaining on their own merits - are so over the top compared to the original that I just can't sit there and say they're better, and the gameplay elements lifted wholesale from MGS2 often break the game because the environments are 1:1 pologon maps from the PS original and weren't designed with those elements in mind.

It certainly looks nice, and there are also some other smaller positives throughout, but if I tried to say TTS was anything like the quality of improvements of the Remake over the PS original I'd be kidding myself. I don't think I'd be the only one around here to think this either.
    For sure. Don't get me wrong "taking the gameplay to new levels" definitely doesn't mean the gameplay was better or more enjoyable, but the hardware gave them the opportunity to do new things with the old game which perhaps might not have been so viable before hand. I just find it interesting that the GameCube was the console of choice in both cases as opposed to the Playstation 2, and I think it succeeded in setting its self apart in what it was capable of doing graphically over its competitors, it was an excellent choice of hardware even for their future projects such as BIO4. As for MGS, just like BIO1 the original would be my favourite also, but as a fan of both MGS2 and MGS3 I can appreciate what they tried to do in TTS as well.

Comment

It's just the Miyamoto effect. Both developers were strongly influenced by and large general fans of him and his work. It just so happened at the time he was so heavily involved himself in marketing the GC as a platform to Japanese developers at the time that both Kojima and Mikami were convinced it was the right move.

Kojima was seemingly more cautious based on his team having little GC knowledge and thats why SK were involved and TTS was just about casting a wider net with the MG franchise. But Mikami got so swept up into the powerful force at Nintendo early on that he convinced Capcom management the GC was the place to be even though the sales were obviously looking better for the PS2. Other than idea of remaking games for the Nintendo crowd who wouldn't have played the earlier PS bound versions, I really think at the end of it Miyamoto was the real main catalyst for this. It's all there really is.

Comment

You should listen to Denis Dyack interviews on Ign, explains the whole gamecube era:-)
        Last edited by Mikhail; 11-30-2014, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
          It's just the Miyamoto effect. Both developers were strongly influenced by and large general fans of him and his work. It just so happened at the time he was so heavily involved himself in marketing the GC as a platform to Japanese developers at the time that both Kojima and Mikami were convinced it was the right move.

Kojima was seemingly more cautious based on his team having little GC knowledge and thats why SK were involved and TTS was just about casting a wider net with the MG franchise. But Mikami got so swept up into the powerful force at Nintendo early on that he convinced Capcom management the GC was the place to be even though the sales were obviously looking better for the PS2. Other than idea of remaking games for the Nintendo crowd who wouldn't have played the earlier PS bound versions, I really think at the end of it Miyamoto was the real main catalyst for this. It's all there really is.
          I think it has more to do with Mikami himself. He loathed the PlayStation 2 and a meeting with Microsoft about the Xbox didn't go very well at all. The only other choice was the GameCube. I'm sure Miyamoto's sweet-talking during discussions helped, but it was predominately because Mikami didn't like the only other options.
          Last edited by News Bot; 11-30-2014, 10:36 AM.
          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

@Mikhail - Dyack's a bit of a mad man. But I have seen that recent talk on IGN. You're talking about Nintendo's angle/pressure to make sure the game if it's going to be remade offers something different than it's original? I mean both remakes in this topic certainly do it, just personally one succeeded at it much better than the other. Otherwise he says exactly what I discussed before, that he was approached for SK to work on TTS with Kojima. Simply because they wanted an established team who had worked on the GC because Kojima's team were too busy working on MGS3 to be able to take on and learn for another project. The only other think I can think of is compared to what he says, they certainly didn't have the time to go through every area and make sure the MGS2 gameplay worked because as I said there are certain areas which are basically broken by the additions.

If you're talking about the discussion about near the end of the GC era, then that's about expected. Under a lack of 3rd party sales, Nintendo looked entirely at making successful party and smaller games - often by it's own studios. But that's not relevant to the early stages of the generation when the company was trying to get as many people to make as many games on the platform as possible.

@NB - Yeah I have seen discussion about the disastrous Xbox meeting with Mikami of course, but I honestly think Miyamoto's willingness to assist Mikami and Capcom really did have a bigger influence on the end result, although just my thoughts on it personally. It's just I'm still surprised at the fact that management at Capcom never heavily pushed back until much later given the sales of Capcom titles on the PS2 in it's first couple of years (Onimusha, DMC, CVX, etc.). All prior to Mikami's real push for GC title exclusivity with Remake, Zero and the "Capcom 5"... and I really feel that probably would not have happened without Miyamoto's involvement with Mikami.
            Last edited by Rombie; 11-30-2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I'm one of the few that actually doesn't like Remake at all. I prefer the original or Director's Cut.

I didn't like how the Remake changed how you went about in the mansion, and the cheap lightning effects that did absolutely nothing for me. Not making the cerberus crash through the window the first time you enter the hallway was another mistake, since it was ridiculousy obvious that it would happen the next time you went back into that hallway. It should have remained the same as in the original, despite the fact that the player may have been expecting it by playing the original.

Also, I like the original mansion better. As someone else mentioned, it actually feels like a real mansion that people lived in recently. All of the charm that was present in the original is completely lacking in the Remake. Also, Remake didn't have all of the timed-events that the original had, where the amount of time you took and little decisions you made affected how your partners would interact with you.

Lisa Trevor was a useless enemy to add to the game. I didn't care for her. I didn't care for the death masks or crimson head zombies either.

Originally posted by Grem View Post
              The Hunters in that game are much less intimidating
              Yes, the hunters in Remake are not as creepy as the ones in the original. The ones in the original scare the hell out of me everytime.

I don't why so many people like Remake, but I guess that's just me. I feel the original is better in every detail.
              Last edited by RetroRain; 11-30-2014, 12:34 PM.
              My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
              ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

The original RE has just fell victim of the age, its awful voice acting and early PSX graphics are the main reasons which made it dated. Aside those, the game is just as great as its remake but a little shorter.

Still I've seen there are some people who prefer the original because of the campy B-movie tone it has whereas the remake and almost every other RE (not RE4 of course) has tried to go with a more serious-dramatic approach. I'm with the second group.
                The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Originally posted by RetroRain View Post
                  I'm one of the few that actually doesn't like Remake at all. I prefer the original or Director's Cut.

I didn't like how the Remake changed how you went about in the mansion, and the cheap lightning effects that did absolutely nothing for me. Not making the cerberus crash through the window the first time you enter the hallway was another mistake, since it was ridiculousy obvious that it would happen the next time you went back into that hallway. It should have remained the same as in the original, despite the fact that the player may have been expecting it by playing the original.

Also, I like the original mansion better. As someone else mentioned, it actually feels like a real mansion that people lived in recently. All of the charm that was present in the original is completely lacking in the Remake. Also, Remake didn't have all of the timed-events that the original had, where the amount of time you took and little decisions you made affected how your partners would interact with you.

Lisa Trevor was a useless enemy to add to the game. I didn't care for her. I didn't care for the death masks or crimson head zombies either.

Yes, the hunters in Remake are not as creepy as the ones in the original. The ones in the original scare the hell out of me everytime.

I don't why so many people like Remake, but I guess that's just me. I feel the original is better in every detail.
                  I felt quite similar after completing the REmake for the first time. It almost felt like I was playing it to complete it the first time. And now it's just been so long since then, its easy to grow more fond of it as it does have some good moments and a few good music tracks.. It doesn't have the pick up and play feeling of the original for me - but maybe that will change with the remaster!

Comment

@RetroRain - I think you totally miss the point.

The mansion in RE1 looked wrong - not the one in the remake.. The idea was that the Mansion has been sitting empty for 2 to 3 months or so - after the initial outbreak in May 1998..
                    Problem was, in RE1 everything was too clean and tidy, not a spot of dust or dirt (which, when I was little, I assumed the outbreak had just happened a few days before or something)

Now, in the REmake.. everything looks like it should - abandoned and dirty.. I love how the floorboards kicked up dust as you ran, and the entire atmosphere..

I do however, as you say, miss the things you could alter (some are there, some aren't) I would have loved to see that alternate scene meeting Rebecca in the save room with Chris being maced with bug spray remade LOL
                    "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

I think you can argue that neither really looked "wrong", as it pertains to details of upkeep that aren't known, and even somewhat trivial. When people talk of RE1 brightness, it's usually that 1st and 2nd floor main hall that instantly spring to mind. Other areas of course are well lit, but that part is lit to the nines in such a way that you have to consider perhaps they had "The Shining" in mind for several of these areas. And when one talks of detail added, it's natural that such additions would arise out of the context of a mansion that appeared as though it had been poorly maintained for some years, not only months. This is why I feel they had somewhat different goals visually from original to remake, not only that finally they could add many times more detail.

Neither you or Retro are far off the mark imo, as I believe both preferences are valid, and that both are mostly that-- preference (subjective).
                      The horror is alive, the horror is expanding; living with the horror, can be demanding

Comment

I just completed Chris's scenario in the original Playstation Resident Evil for the first time in my life (I could only beat Jill's scenario when I was a kid).

Just when I thought the dialogue couldn't get any more pitiful, the final scene between Wesker and Chris provoked uncontrolled hilarity.

Wesker [proudly]: "This is the ultimate life-form: Tyrant!"
                        Chris: "...hohohahaha"
                        Wesker: "Chris?"
                        Chris: "hahahahahahaha..."
                        Wesker [bashfully]: "stop it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
                          I just completed Chris's scenario in the original Playstation Resident Evil for the first time in my life (I could only beat Jill's scenario when I was a kid).

Just when I thought the dialogue couldn't get any more pitiful, the final scene between Wesker and Chris provoked uncontrolled hilarity.

Wesker [proudly]: "This is the ultimate life-form: Tyrant!"
                          Chris: "...hohohahaha"
                          Wesker: "Chris?"
                          Chris: "hahahahahahaha..."
                          Wesker [bashfully]: "stop it!"
                          You're just making me think of Sir Sly's Resident [G]igalo audio clip now :p

Comment

Oh yeah-- great piece of dialogue there.

"Wesker...this failure, is your saviour?"

A lot of media attempts to create camp, but more often than not it seems contrived. But it just worked with 1.
                            The horror is alive, the horror is expanding; living with the horror, can be demanding

Comment

Completing Chris' scenario is still on my to do list, the difficulty gap is one thing I liked about he oiginal Biohazard.

Comment

I really miss Rebecca's gory decapitation scene in REmake. That was really shocking and unexpected in the original I felt. In Remake it just cuts away to her blood splashing on the door behind her. Fucking lame.

Comment

Working...
                                X