Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An article for Gemini, SonicBlue, News Bot, Mark Grass, and other creative forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An article for Gemini, SonicBlue, News Bot, Mark Grass, and other creative forces

Do fan projects deserve payment?

I think you folks will find this interesting.

IGAS, I hope you're reading this too.

Donations at best, in my case.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
      Donations at best, in my case.
      Yep, its what most people do. Down right just asking to be paid is kind of rude IMO - this way, people who want to donate, can and normally will quite happily when not forced to
      "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

if i not make agreement for money or have purpose of making money i think i have no right for pay.

Comment

Do they deserve to be paid? Yes.
          Should they? No.

As soon as money enters the equation, any sort of fan creation merely becomes another form of marketing. Like developers paying youtube streamers etc. Fan creations should either be done as a stepping stone for another project or just for fun.

The only exception should be for huge projects like SWG Emu, which actually is registered as a non-profit organisation (after receiving permission from the developer SoE), though even this project is a little up in the air after the transfer of the Star Wars rights to Disney. But anyways, that's how I would do a fan project like a remake, just set up a NPO and ask permission from TPTB.

Also what's interesting is that I bet Gemini and IGAS have no interest in receiving profit or working for CAPCOM, as they would just lose all creative control from their small teams and be stuck texturing AAA grade feet or pipes or something. Such corporate jobs are way overrated IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Scream View Post
            Also what's interesting is that I bet Gemini and IGAS have no interest in receiving profit or working for CAPCOM, as they would just lose all creative control from their small teams and be stuck texturing AAA grade feet or pipes or something. Such corporate jobs are way overrated IMO.
            Money is always nice to have and earning that by working for a big developer (doesn't matter if it's CAPCOM or something else) is a good way to get into the industry. I mean, you wouldn't lose any creativity in the process, as long as your boss isn't a complete moron.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
            , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
              Money is always nice to have
              No its not Yeah.. obviously. But I mean if you're making a fan mod, money is probably not on your mind and you probably already have other income.

and earning that by working for a big developer (doesn't matter if it's CAPCOM or something else) is a good way to get into the industry. I mean, you wouldn't lose any creativity in the process, as long as your boss isn't a complete moron.
              So is that your goal? I'd say yeah its a good way to get into AAA industry, but these days there are so many niches, dev tools, platforms, countries and languages even - not just one single "industry". I think it really depends on what kind of person you are and your skillset.

Comment

I mean, you wouldn't lose any creativity in the process, as long as your boss isn't a complete moron.
                Only confined by the borders of the project you're on, I guess. But even then it's a matter of being creative enough to express yourself the way you'd like within those borders.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                  Only confined by the borders of the project you're on, I guess. But even then it's a matter of being creative enough to express yourself the way you'd like within those borders.
                  “For creators who have real ability and are energetic, a safe, large company is dangerous” - CAPCOM employee

Comment

My opinion is that fan projects should be purely for the enjoyment of the community. We produce them for free and we consume them for free. Bringing money into the equation dethrones creativity and the entire culture changes as a result. People can make a living in other ways.
                    Last edited by Enigmatism415; 12-14-2014, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
                      My opinion is that fan projects should be purely for the enjoyment of the community. We produce them for free and we consume them for free. Bringing money into the equation dethrones creativity and the entire culture changes as a result. People can make a living in other ways.
                      ^Yeah, basically.

If you look at IGAS and Gemini's projects you can feel the "pureness". Not sure how else to describe it.

Comment

But I mean if you're making a fan mod, money is probably not on your mind and you probably already have other income.
                        Nope, I'm currently unemployed.

So is that your goal?
                        Nah, just wishful thinking. Big corps aren't really where I belong, still wouldn't be a bad place to be. I mean, what kind of gamer wouldn't like to work for one of those developers that made them love video games?

If you look at IGAS and Gemini's projects you can feel the "pureness". Not sure how else to describe it.
                        I'm not sure what you mean here. "Pureness" in regard to quality, design choices, or something else that I ignore because I'm used to it? If I'd have to make a guess based on IGAS' work, I'd go for design choices.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                        , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Nope, I'm currently unemployed.
                          By choice, it would seem! Though you're maybe wondering I'm posting here - I also have a large fan project (non-RE), so I can relate. All the feelings about the project have nothing to do with money (like I posted previously)... It doesn't really matter about being employed/unemployed. It's difficult to fit into a busy schedule, but manageable, its only a small part of what I'm doing. I pursued it simply because all technical tests passed quite easily, so I took that as a sign to continue.

In regards to unemployment though, I'll say its less about finding a job, and more about finding people that understand the depth you offer, I think.

Nah, just wishful thinking. Big corps aren't really where I belong, still wouldn't be a bad place to be. I mean, what kind of gamer wouldn't like to work for one of those developers that made them love video games?
                          Well, for me (not everyone, of course): If it was so great, I knew I would be there already. But it's not the answer I'm looking for in life, having been in similar situations.

I'm not sure what you mean here. "Pureness" in regard to quality, design choices, or something else that I ignore because I'm used to it? If I'd have to make a guess based on IGAS' work, I'd go for design choices.
                          Simply pureness in terms of retro experience - capturing the feel of the original games.

Comment

But I mean if you're making a fan mod, money is probably not on your mind and you probably already have other income.
                            i had to stop modding once i dedicated time to other income. god i cant wait to get back and finish what i started...

Comment

They'd deserve as long as we're talking about a serious and dedicated project and not an "I'll show you a trailer and a bunch of screenshots and, two months later, project cancelled or MIA forever"

But still, even really good fan-projects can't get payments because they would be earning profit from someone else's IP, and like them or not that's simply going against the laws.

Donations to maintain and help those projects keep alive are good though.
                              The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Working...
                              X