Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If RE 1 HD, and RE 0 HD sell well. Probably Outbreak File 1&2 next, amiright?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If RE 1 HD, and RE 0 HD sell well. Probably Outbreak File 1&2 next, amiright?

With lazy Capcom putting the least amount of effort into their releases, I'd wager if its two RE-releases (yes, I went there) do well, then the Outbreak games would logically be next. Just like since Microsoft already remastered Halo 1-3, plus the upcoming ODST, it makes sense they'd do Reach next. It would be cool too since they could maybe sell chapter packs at like 4.99, the whole game wouldn't have to take so long to get re-released after 1 and zero. Plus the possibility of new chapters, maybe some of the scrapped ones could make an appearance! Heck, they could even take the Outbreak series and with a bit of tweaking, re-invent it into it's equivalent of Telltale's episodic Walking Dead series (in regards to its episodic style). Actually, I forgot to take into account Revelations 2's episodic nature. But I think Outbreak suits that style more. All wishful thinking I know, but hey it could happen!
    Last edited by Lead belly; 12-31-2014, 08:38 AM.

I'd be happy with a semi-straight port of both Outbreaks that include -oooobviously- online support and every modes unlocked from the start, for those of us who don't want to start all over again playing on Normal and with just the main cast available. If it comes with better graphics than PS2, then much better.

And a non-babysitter version of RECV would be great too.
    The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Watcha mean babysitter version of CV? The HD one was the same as far as I remember.

Comment

Why would CAPCOM waste money on a sales failure?

Comment

IIRC, the games make use of third-party services for the servers, which are already defunct. If they do decide to re-release it, I think a lot of retooling would be in order. They definitely need to port the game over to the MT Framework, redo the net code, and add in features like voice chat and better matchmaking. Updating both games for the current era probably isn't something Capcom's too keen on doing, unless there's a major resurgence of interest in the old-style RE games.

At this point, I think it would be likely that someone would make a clone Outbreak engine and port over all official content, like what Gemini did with his engine, than Capcom actually doing anything. I know I certainly wouldn't mind an open-source Outbreak game, with lots of custom levels.
          Last edited by biohazard_star; 12-31-2014, 02:06 PM.
          Seibu teh geimu?
          ---

Comment

Unlike REmake and RE0, the Outbreaks are universally recognised as being the utter turds that they are, outside a few RE fanboys. Operation Raccoon City Game of the Year edition is more likely.
            Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by Deathlygasm View Post
              Watcha mean babysitter version of CV? The HD one was the same as far as I remember.
              I mean a version with a real difficulty level to make the game worth re-playing or at least an expanded Battle game, or something new to the game, just like many other REs had in their re-editions, not just 3 new cutscenes, Steve's hair or graphic tweaks and leaderboards.

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
              Unlike REmake and RE0, the Outbreaks are universally recognised as being the utter turds that they are, outside a few RE fanboys. Operation Raccoon City Game of the Year edition is more likely.
              You don't need to be a fanboy to like and enjoy the Outbreaks. There's currently a big and active Outbreak community at Obsrv.org, still playing both games that are ten years old. They weren't bad games, they were good games that couldn't be properly enjoyed outside Japan thanks to Capcom dumb decisions.

Comment

Unlike REmake and RE0, the Outbreaks are universally recognised as being the utter turds that they are
                easily the hardest games in the series. personally they are the most intense to play, none of the other games keep me on my toes like those.

Comment

Originally posted by biohazard_star View Post
                  IIRC, the games make use of third-party services for the servers, which are already defunct. If they do decide to re-release it, I think a lot of retooling would be in order.
                  Yeah, ol' Capcut really stood by the fanbase on that one. At the time, I remember many even lesser (and older) PS2 titles whose online lobbies were intact, though stark ghost towns. Outbreak had some characters. Those TKO guys who would attempt to kill you in-scenario, 'Reapennzoil' who was this interesting dueller, ect.

The reviews at the time were pretty mediocre/average. I think 'Eurogamer' gave it the harshest criticism.

There was enough there to get some fun out of, and some decent variance. The real time inventory system is something the game really benefitted in terms of a fear perspective, as were the rising virus levels. Scenario's were adequate length, but the game's didn't feature enough of them. Some of the catchphrases were so incredibly lame they were funny: "Cindy!" "I...just had a thought" "My life is $%it!"

Certainly then (and even now) I could sympathize with it being somewhat different, unlike 95% of the online games floating out in the ether.
                  The horror is alive, the horror is expanding; living with the horror, can be demanding

Comment

I can already play the Outbreaks in native 1080p with a true 16x9 aspect ratio on my emulator, AND play it online. A rerelease would be nice but no longer absolutely crucial.

Comment

It would be highly welcomed but the amount of re-programming needed to get it working with modern servers, chat support, etc might be more money than Capcom is willing to invest right now. REmake HD was minimally upgraded and that type of laziness wouldn't work for Outbreak unless it was offline only. I'd think it would be highly possible if the classic gameplay is well received and commercially successful following Remake HD's worldwide release. Anyone know how it's been received in JP?
                      Last edited by djepic112; 01-01-2015, 10:25 PM.

Comment

It was a game ahead of its time in some respects. hardly a turd considering its dedicated playerbase which still plays to this day. An HD re-release would be awesome, they could combine all the stages and have have consistent features. Sadly that would, as others have pointed out, require more effort capcom is willing to put forward. im not even sure if they really will port zero or give it a full release like remake.

Comment

At this point is kind of pointless, because both games can be currently played online from both PS2 and emulator, and even with better graphics and smaller loading times than years before. Most Outbreak fans already play like we allways wanted, but a port could be nice to catch some new players and refine the online system, I doubt it would sell well though, and Capcom probably too.

Comment

I don't think they should unless they redesign the whole thing and call it Outbreak File 3 - or include all those beta missing levels (like the motel)
                            "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

You know, i seriously think people are overestimating how much of those levels were actually completed. i think the only one that was anywhere near finished was a day in raccoon and anything else was just a room here and there that got recycled into the final game. whether or not the final 10 scenarios made it from concept to full code depended on the success of file 2 which we all know didn't go so well.

Comment

Working...
                              X