Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If RE 1 HD, and RE 0 HD sell well. Probably Outbreak File 1&2 next, amiright?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, at the very least, we know that the character and enemy models for most of the scenarios were already completed beforehand. Still, it does make me wonder how financially feasible it would be for Capcom to complete the missing levels. The graphics are relatively simplistic, compared to today's modern games, and a lot of environmental assets were shared between levels, and would have been reused in File 3 as well. Still, I suppose the biggest question is if they even bothered archiving the data for them, given their track record with the other games. :/
    Seibu teh geimu?
    ---

Comment

Releasing the REMaster makes sense right now makes sense. The series is at a fork in the road creatively but still sells alot (RE6 on 6+m copies) and the REMake was only played by a fraction of the current total fanbase. Also, the REMaster isn't technically challenging (despite an odd audio bug :-s). Most of the resources required for a project like this will be Artists.

And if it does well, a similar update of RE0 before the end of the year would also make sense, riding on the momentum of this.

However, I don't see what Remakes of the Outbreak files would really do for either Capcom or new audiences. It would require alot more people to work on it than the REMaster and whilst small scale co-op survival horror is indeed an interesting proposition, the Outbreak games in their current forms are clunky and simple compared to the current king of online survival horror, DayZ. It's like asking a big band (Capcom) to put an obscure B-Side on their a Greatest Hits re-release.
      "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

not saying its possible for re release but i think outbreak would find more of an audience for the people turned off by Day Z. Theres still plenty of ways for the players to betray each other but outbreak actually has more of a consequence for those people who kill or leave teammates behind. at some point you guys are forced to actually fight a common enemy instead of sniping eachother for hours on end.

Comment

I never played DayZ but Outbreaks deliver a very unique and entertaining experience to the RE series, while standing loyal to its concept and even strenghtening it in many aspects. They have a lot of nice and interesting features for survival lovers, the thing is if modern audiences would like to deal with a game style like that.
          As said before, when played in the right conditions they can be awesome games, I myself thought they were crappy spin-offs back in 2007/2008 when I bought them, because being forced to go through the entire game with the awful AI and having 15-18 seconds of loading screens each time I had to enter a room surely was painful and harmed the game a lot; but now it's different, playing online, either with a PS2 that has HDD or an emulator for much shorter loading times definitely brings a much better experience. I actually ended up loving Outbreaks, even more than some of the main series.
          The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

It's not so much that DayZ is the definitive survival experience, there's room for claustrophobic, cooperative experiences alongside its big world, but as unique as Outbreak is, can it really hold up against competition for a new audience enough to justify the costs involved in porting and updating it? Especially when Capcom's last cooperative RE experience, O:RC, was a critical and commercial failure and Revelations 2 has Co-op in it from the start. Also, the lure of getting to explore more of Raccoon City itself will be lost on those who never played through the original trilogy.

Post-apocolyptic, zombie and survival horror games have all left the Resident Evil series in their wake long ago. Exploring the franchise's roots via the REMake is a great idea as it goes back to the very basics via a high quality title, but any attempt to retrace the series' steps after that via more remasters of old titles feels like it's going to bury the series for good.

Comment

i think with multiplayer back it would find a new audience. you don't see that particular experience anymore and frankly i think outbreak would dance circles around that piss poor "successor" operation raccoon city.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
                O:RC, was a critical and commercial failure
                It actually sold really well.
                Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by OfficerRedfield View Post
                  not saying its possible for re release but i think outbreak would find more of an audience for the people turned off by Day Z. Theres still plenty of ways for the players to betray each other but outbreak actually has more of a consequence for those people who kill or leave teammates behind. at some point you guys are forced to actually fight a common enemy instead of sniping eachother for hours on end.
                  Is it more of the same old same old sniping/capture the flag etc? Yet another DOOM iteration?

Comment

Lots of sniping. my experience was people killing people with zombies as an afterthought.

Comment

It actually sold really well.
                      It sold 2m and the studio folded soon after. Part of the closure could be attributed to the cancelling of another project, but by the time ORC was released, 3m sales was the target to hit for most devs to break even.

experience was people killing people with zombies as an afterthought.
                      How does your experience with the game lead you to conclude that is how the game was developed?

Do you know why Romero films still stand head and shoulders above the rest of the genre? Do you know why Shaun of the Dead is a great movie? Because the zombies are a catalyst that force people into difficult situations and confrontation with each other. Humans are the focus, but zombies are the pressure. That's when they are at their best. You've got decades worth of zombie focused films that don't come close, and why something as enemy focused as L4D is so throwaway - it's the fast food of zombie games. You keep coming back for more but you'll rarely remember the last time you had it.

You get the same complaints about the Walking Dead tv show - too much talking, not enough zombies. If you want more zombies then there's decades of terrible zombie focused films to enjoy. It's only when the human element is sufficiently developed that a simple horror setting elevates to something more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
                        It sold 2m and the studio folded soon after. Part of the closure could be attributed to the cancelling of another project, but by the time ORC was released, 3m sales was the target to hit for most devs to break even.

How does your experience with the game lead you to conclude that is how the game was developed?

Do you know why Romero films still stand head and shoulders above the rest of the genre? Do you know why Shaun of the Dead is a great movie? Because the zombies are a catalyst that force people into difficult situations and confrontation with each other. Humans are the focus, but zombies are the pressure. That's when they are at their best. You've got decades worth of zombie focused films that don't come close, and why something as enemy focused as L4D is so throwaway - it's the fast food of zombie games. You keep coming back for more but you'll rarely remember the last time you had it.

You get the same complaints about the Walking Dead tv show - too much talking, not enough zombies. If you want more zombies then there's decades of terrible zombie focused films to enjoy. It's only when the human element is sufficiently developed that a simple horror setting elevates to something more.
                        I'm well aware that people the main catalysts for these stories but when i'm an hour and a half into a game where i'm being sniped before i even get to lay a finger on a zombie i get irritated. If i wanted to battle people on the scale that i had to in that game then i'd just play Call of Duty or some other army game.I appreciate outbreak cause its more balanced between the enemies in the stage and on your own team. you still have to deal with people betraying or trying to escape on their own but you stay on your toes then you can survive and maybe get back at the m later. I don't mind the drama on the walking dead but in games that market themslves as zombie games there has to be a balance.

Comment

The ideal balance is completely subjective, but suggesting that the zombies are an after thought on a game that's still in development and the experience changes so much from server to server is short sighted.

It's just as common to find people who have encountered zombies for days on end but never crossed paths with another person. This game does demand your patience and forgiveness on a regular basis, especially when zombies are walking through walls ;-)

Comment

The zombie-based games that came out around the time the L4D's were beginning to catch on, that were actually, well...compelling, were those zombie maps for the CoD: World at War game. "Nacht Der", "Verukt", "Shi No Numa", "Der Riese"...I had more fun there than with any of the L4D installments.

Again, would love to see an Outbreak HD re-release, yet feel it ain't gonna happen.
                            The horror is alive, the horror is expanding; living with the horror, can be demanding

Comment

Originally posted by Burt Mustin View Post
                              The zombie-based games that came out around the time the L4D's were beginning to catch on, that were actually, well...compelling, were those zombie maps for the CoD: World at War game. "Nacht Der", "Verukt", "Shi No Numa", "Der Riese"...I had more fun there than with any of the L4D installments.

Again, would love to see an Outbreak HD re-release, yet feel it ain't gonna happen.
                              I completely dislike the zombie mode from COD world at war, you just wait the zombies to come, and they keep coming in bigger numbers, too much "you will die soon" mode. L4D is bigger, you know all the routes but since it is 4 player coop, you never know what will happen.

Just like Remaster,

Comment

Working...
                              X