Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will future Resident Evil tiltes return to survival horror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Bot : I was more talking about the cohesion than the relevance of each title.

I know all of what you're saying, but I think that putting RE3 between RE2 and RECV breaks something in terms of narrative and design. RE3 feels more like an add on to RE2 than a true sequel. RECV, on the contrary, follows RE2 story more naturally. There is plenty of throwbacks to RE2 in terms of design aswell (monsters sound, music, etc...)

I also think it's better to put RE0 after RECV and not before RE1. Despite being set chronologically before RE1, the story of the game expands on Umbrella's origins just like RECV. It works better that way, I think.

I also think that Remake doesn't necessarily replace the original RE. All sequels seem to borrow gimmicks from RE1 rather than Remake. Small details like the STARS picture in RE2, sounds of Umbrella's computers in RE5 and now Barry's look and voice in REV2 seem to be throwbacks at the original RE rather than Remake.

Not just the story, but as far as graphics and designs are concerned you also get a very good sense of progression with RE1 -> RE2 -> RECV -> RE0.

Considering all of this, RE3 is a bit out of place in that progression.
    Last edited by Grem; 02-22-2015, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• In regards to the RE1 triggering system - this is how I remember it, and how I see it (despite reading that RE3 file just now again)

In Chris's scenario - Rebecca clearly says 'We should blow this place up!' and you can see her in the Power Room activating it..
      In Jill's, Wesker has 'disappeared' .. Barry even states 'Wesker must have set it off.'

The problem is, again, because RE1 was so open and branched with its multiple paths and endings - the canon plot was a bit of a mess..

@ Grem - well , your right - RE3 was only made as an 'expansion' to RE2s storyline due to some Sony exclusive deal IIRC.

This is why CV feels so much more like a proper sequel to 2, it was intended to be RE3 all along I think - but Sony wanted another PS1 title before the PS2 and Dreamcast took over with CV and Claire's storyline.
      Last edited by RaccoonSurvivor; 02-22-2015, 08:02 AM.
      "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Grem View Post
        News Bot : I was more talking about the cohesion than the relevance of each title.

I know all of what you're saying, but I think that putting RE3 between RE2 and RECV breaks something in terms of narrative and design. RE3 feels more like an add on to RE2 than a true sequel. RECV, on the contrary, follows RE2 story more naturally. There is plenty of throwbacks to RE2 in terms of design aswell (monsters sound, music, etc...)

I also think it's better to put RE0 after RECV and not before RE1. Despite being set chronologically before RE1, the story of the game expands on Umbrella's origins just like RECV. It works better that way, I think.

I also think that Remake doesn't necessarily replace the original RE. All sequels seem to borrow gimmicks from RE1 rather than Remake. Small details like the STARS picture in RE2, sounds of Umbrella's computers in RE5 and now Barry's look and voice in REV2 seem to be throwbacks at the original RE rather than Remake.

Not just the story, but as far as graphics and designs are concerned you also get a very good sense of progression with RE1 -> RE2 -> RECV -> RE0.

Considering all of this, RE3 is a bit out of place in that progression.
        CV is trash in terms of design, due to being made by two B teams (TOSE/Nextech).

Originally posted by RaccoonSurvivor View Post
        @ Grem - well , your right - RE3 was only made as an 'expansion' to RE2s storyline due to some Sony exclusive deal IIRC.
        There was no Sony deal.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot
          CV is trash in terms of design
          That's not my opinion.

And I was not talking about quality. CV share a lot of things with RE1 and RE2. The structure of the game is very reminiscent of RE1 (progression, boss battles, puzzles) and, like I said, a lot of elements are borrowed from RE2 aswell (sound design and narrative style).

As for the fact it was handled by TOSE, well that's not necessarily a bad thing for me since I always preferred RE made by them (RECV is my second favourite RE game and REV1 is my favourite post RE4 game). But I must have bad tastes.
          Last edited by Grem; 02-22-2015, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grem View Post
            As for the fact it was handled by TOSE, well that's not necessarily a bad thing for me since I always preferred RE made by them
            Everyone has their own opinion, but Jesus Christ on fucking popsicle stick, this is definitely cringe-worthy stuff :|
            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

• The structure isn't really similar, and all of the things that are "reminiscent" are so because they are literally the same, because the B teams failed to innovate. The scenario has great structure though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Grass
                Everyone has their own opinion
                Exactly.

Originally posted by News Bot
                The structure isn't really similar, and all of the things that are "reminiscent" are so because they are literally the same, because the B teams failed to innovate.
                RECV paid tribute to RE1 in a lot of way. That's how I see it. And it wasn't less innovative than RE2.
                Last edited by Grem; 02-23-2015, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• While Code Veronica did add anything new to the gameplay, it was still a great game, in fact it was a step back from RE3 in many areas and is more like RE1 in terms of control IMO.

As for returning to the roots, I have strong hopes the series does this. Revelations 2 give me strong hope with it's darker atmosphere, scary music, and more survival horror type gameplay.
                  My Head-Fi Page

Comment

• Maybe it's just me but I don't think RE3 did anything good in terms of gameplay innovation besides a frustrating and poorly designed dodge system, so I'm actually glad that thing didn't come back in post survival titles. I think classic REs were much better without that.

The quick turn was a nice addition though, but the idea came from Dino Crisis anyway.
                    Last edited by Lanzagranadas; 02-26-2015, 08:13 AM.
                    The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

• Originally posted by Lanzagranadas View Post
                      Maybe it's just me but I don't think RE3 did anything good in terms of gameplay innovation besides a frustrating and poorly designed dodge system, so I'm actually glad that thing didn't come back in post survival titles. I think classic REs were much better without that.

The quick turn was a nice addition though, but the idea came from Dino Crisis anyway.
                      It actually did quite a lot.

Players exploration affecting what items are found and when, re-implementing the changing story feature from RE1 which RE2 removed, enabling an enemy to stalk you through different rooms, the ammo system enabling a wide variety of playstyles depending what types you wanted to make, the 'dramatic' choices offering differing outcomes in several cases.
                      Last edited by Dracarys; 02-26-2015, 08:49 AM.
                      Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

• BIO3's dodge system isn't poorly designed at all. It's possible to master it and become virtually invincible, so it's designed to be very peculiar about timing. BIO3 also added the ability to freely move on stairs, and generally movement is a lot better. You can tell the developers had a genuine passion to improve upon the foundations of the previous games.

CV is just BIO2 with quick turn. TOSE were exceptionally lazy with it. It's a very passionless game save for FLAGSHIP's scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                          It actually did quite a lot.

Players exploration affecting what items are found and when, re-implementing the changing story feature from RE1 which RE2 removed, enabling an enemy to stalk you through different rooms, the ammo system enabling a wide variety of playstyles depending what types you wanted to make, the 'dramatic' choices offering differing outcomes in several cases.
                          Those were good things, but most of them were there to compensate that the game has only one character, while RE, RE2 and RECV have two. RE2 has an A and a B story for each character, RE3 has A and B paths for the same character, making it a downgrade compared to RE2 depending on how you look at it.

And most ideas from RE3 were just ignored for every post-RE3 game, not just CV. The dodge didn't return in neither 0 nor remake, nor live choices did. Gun powders were nice too, except for the fact that it's pretty easy to create a lot of Magnum ammo and make the game a joke.
                          Last edited by Lanzagranadas; 02-26-2015, 09:49 AM.
                          The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                            BIO3's dodge system isn't poorly designed at all.
                            There's no arguing against the Dodge System's effectiveness, but the actual instigation of the dodge changing between wherever your gun was raised or not and the fact that intentionally raising your gun or firing it would result in a successful dodge, meaning that it could be triggered by luck rather than skills, were poor choices.

Dodge should have gone on a single button (possibly run) & been impossible to trigger whilst in the middle of changing stances or firing.
                            "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

• RE3 Dodge system sucks with the gamecube controller. And sucks because right after the dogde move, jill aims her weapon and gets grabbed.

Comment

Working...
                              X