Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think led to Weskers downfall/death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
    This is why it was so absurd that a rocket from Nemesis left Jill standing. RE3 would have been more interesting if Nemesis had only one rocket per battle, but the rocket was a one-hit-kill.
    I chuckle at the thought of Jill exploding into pieces like a Tyrant.

Comment

Anyone remember Tomb Raider 2? There was code to blow up Lara.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
        This is why it was so absurd that a rocket from Nemesis left Jill standing. RE3 would have been more interesting if Nemesis had only one rocket per battle, but the rocket was a one-hit-kill.
        The damage levels in-game are purely for gameplay purposes. I wouldn't look into them... at all. That suggestion for example would be incredibly cheap.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

And that's its problem in 3. It cannot be taken seriously, which undermines the Nemesis himself. RE titles need to get over its obsession with Rocket Launchers. Let the player destroy an end boss with their own skill, rather than someone else bailing them out.
          "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
            And that's its problem in 3. It cannot be taken seriously, which undermines the Nemesis himself. RE titles need to get over its obsession with Rocket Launchers. Let the player destroy an end boss with their own skill, rather than someone else bailing them out.
            Many people had no problem taking Nemesis-T or the game as a whole seriously. The rocket launchers don't mean much. You already fight a bunch of boss battles before you even get to the rocket.

Comment

And many didn't, although I should have said "I cannot take it seriously".

You shouldn't use the fact that you've gone through boss battles already to justify any problems with the two Rocket Launcher tropes associated with final boss battles in the series. There's either a countown and you're stuck running around in circles aimlessly dodging & waiting for an RL to drop, or you get to defeat the boss but the killer blow is delivered in the cutscene.

Purpose & being responsible for the final blow can feel much more powerful. I like the fact that RE3 did things differently, although I would have liked to have been the one to put a magnum round in Nemesis' head at the end, rather than a cutscene.

Comment

I love the whole "many = me" thing people on the Internet have.

There are no problems with the series' rocket launcher tropes. In the case of BIO1 and BIO2, the more damage you deal to the Tyrants, the faster the rocket launcher drops. In BIO4 it doesn't drop until you deal a set amount of damage and even then you can still kill him yourself.

REV2 is a complete boss fight and you need to deal a set amount of damage before you'll get the rocket launcher and then before you'll be able to kill the boss with the rocket launcher.

You're really complaining about nothing.

Comment

WAIT! You can kill Sadler without use of rocket launcher? Daaammn.
                  Last edited by Dark_Chris; 03-24-2015, 07:47 AM.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Chris View Post
                    WAIT! You can kill Sadler without use of rocket launcher? Daaammn.
                    Yup, and you can still keep the special rocket launcher for your next playthrough. It's 1,000000 pesetas if sold, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                      I love the whole "many = me" thing people on the Internet have.
                      That would be hilarious if I wasn't making reference to your post before. But anyway, my anecdotal evidence includes friends, YT playthroughs I've watched and comments in this forum. I didn't say it was a majority or an overwhelming number, nor did I suggest that it was.

You're really complaining about nothing.
                      You can disagree with my complaint, but that doesn't mean it's not valid. I find it tiresome to go through rocket launcher sequences at the end of RE games because 1) of the amount of times I have been through them 2) the execution has been clunky (with the exception of 4, see below)

Firstly, I don't consider getting the Rocket Launcher faster in 1&2 really much of a game changer since it's got no real connection as to why you get the Rocket Launcher in the first place. The hand of fate is an arbitrary counter in the background.

RE:CV final Alexia battle has several stages followed by the obligatory Rocket Launcher collection.

Wesker's final blow in RE5 is dealt from a cutscene. After going up against him in 1, CV, 4 & 5, that shouldn't have been taken out of the player's hands.

RE6, Leon's final boss, the Rocket Launcher just knocks the giant spider thing off of a building in the most clumsy way.

REV2's implementation the worst. First you have to deal an arbitary amount of damage before Claire bothers with the Rocket Launcher, and then when you deliver the final blow the game pauses mid explosion and cuts to an FMV of Claire firing a killing blow.

I do like RE4's approach to the Rocket Launcher as a whole though - you can always buy a one shot Rocket Launcher throughout the game if you're willing to cough up the cash for it, at the expense of ammo for other weapons and herbs.

Is there actually anything you hate about RE other than the English translations NB?

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                        Yup, and you can still keep the special rocket launcher for your next playthrough. It's 1,000000 pesetas if sold, if I remember correctly.
                        Actually it will dissapear in the New Game + but it gives you the oppurtunity to sell it before the opening cutscene.

Comment

That would be hilarious if I wasn't making reference to your post before. But anyway, my anecdotal evidence includes friends, YT playthroughs I've watched and comments in this forum. I didn't say it was a majority or an overwhelming number, nor did I suggest that it was.

You can disagree with my complaint, but that doesn't mean it's not valid. I find it tiresome to go through rocket launcher sequences at the end of RE games because 1) of the amount of times I have been through them 2) the execution has been clunky (with the exception of 4, see below)

Firstly, I don't consider getting the Rocket Launcher faster in 1&2 really much of a game changer since it's got no real connection as to why you get the Rocket Launcher in the first place. The hand of fate is an arbitrary counter in the background.

RE:CV final Alexia battle has several stages followed by the obligatory Rocket Launcher collection.

Wesker's final blow in RE5 is dealt from a cutscene. After going up against him in 1, CV, 4 & 5, that shouldn't have been taken out of the player's hands.

RE6, Leon's final boss, the Rocket Launcher just knocks the giant spider thing off of a building in the most clumsy way.

REV2's implementation the worst. First you have to deal an arbitary amount of damage before Claire bothers with the Rocket Launcher, and then when you deliver the final blow the game pauses mid explosion and cuts to an FMV of Claire firing a killing blow.

I do like RE4's approach to the Rocket Launcher as a whole though - you can always buy a one shot Rocket Launcher throughout the game if you're willing to cough up the cash for it, at the expense of ammo for other weapons and herbs.

Is there actually anything you hate about RE other than the English translations NB?
                          I knew you were making a reference, but the difference is that you're the only person here who's complained about it. So ipso-facto, my usage was correct. You are still complaining about absolutely nothing.

How is REV2's cut to show the killing blow in a cutscene any different from the same thing in BIO1, BIO2, BIO3, BIO4, BIO5, CV, etc? There's not a whole lot of suspense or gratification in watching the killing blow in gameplay, just look at Darkside Chronicles' rendition of the same scene where the Tyrant just limps over and falls down. Or games like REV1 where you just pump bullets into the final boss until eventually you get a cutscene. You fight full boss battles before any of the rocket launcher moments so you don't have a point.

What were you expecting BIO6's rocket launcher moment to do? Cause such a giant organism to explode? Jake also has a magnum moment with Ustanak. Before each of these, there is a full-fledged boss battle. I'm not sure what you find so troubling. They don't detract from the gameplay at all and serve logical and narrative purposes.

What I hate has no relevance to this topic.

Originally posted by Deathlygasm View Post
                          Actually it will dissapear in the New Game + but it gives you the oppurtunity to sell it before the opening cutscene.
                          I always sold it so I guess that makes sense.

Comment

So ipso-facto, my usage was correct.
                            Not really, because silence isn't exactly agreement either. It's really you vs me.

You are still complaining about absolutely nothing.
                            As I've said earlier, I find the motif tired because of the amount of times it's been done and how it's been done. Whether you agree or not, that is something.

How is REV2's cut to show the killing blow in a cutscene any different from the same thing in BIO1, BIO2, BIO3, BIO4, BIO5, CV, etc?
                            Ignoring how & why the rocket launcher is delivered, you have:

RE1 has you fire the rocket yourself, but cut to a killing blow shot before you hit the Tyrant - Ok - the Tyrant looks dumb standing still
                            RE2 cuts to a camera of Leon firing the rocket if you aim correctly and hit the 'fire' button - Good
                            RE:CV cuts to an FMV when the rocket hits - Ok
                            RE5 - Killing blow to Wesker delivered in a cutscene - bad
                            RE6 - Final blow makes the large monster thing look clumsy - bad
                            REV2 either goes back in time the moment you fire the killing blow or Claire fires another shot via an FMV

What were you expecting BIO6's rocket launcher moment to do? Cause such a giant organism to explode?
                            The knock-off looked clumsy. Destroying something it's grabbing onto would have added more impact.

There's not a whole lot of suspense or gratification in watching the killing blow in gameplay, just look at Darkside Chronicles' rendition of the same scene where the Tyrant just limps over and falls down. Or games like REV1 where you just pump bullets into the final boss until eventually you get a cutscene.
                            It's not a binary choice, agency vs spectable. There plenty of ways of including both. For example, look at being able to hit Mr Freeze or Hugo Strange in Arkham City or many of the encounters in GoW. In RE's case, it's a combination of clunky implementations and repetition across the series has robbed these moments of impact for me in this series. When a helicopter or rocket launcher turns up, I know what's coming and think 'urgh'..

I'll tell you an encounter & final blow that is more interesting - Neptune in RE1. The creature has gone from being a predator to helpless, along with its children. Killing it feels as cold as the flat concrete floor in that room.

Why don't they aim higher? Where's the post-boss moment that echos the end of Fly where you feel nothing but pity for the now crippled creature and decide to kill it or not? RE3 should have let you choose to put a final bullet in to the Nemesis and cut to a camera doing so with the weapon of your choice.

I doubt many playing Uncharted 2 would have turned down the chance to be able to put a bullet in the Scottish guy and final boss themselves after what the cutscenes served up instead.

What I hate has no relevance to this topic.
                            Or any other thread on this forum it seems. For someone who loves to spend their time telling other people that their negative opinions mean nothing, you won't dare state any of your own.

Comment

So how else would you suggest killing organisms that are notoriously impossible to kill with conventional weapons yet have historically been shown to be susceptible to rockets?

What's wrong with the killing blow to Wesker? It's no different from the 1, 2 and CV entries you approved of except there's a QTE involved. It's otherwise the exact same thing. You're mighty selective. Large things are clumsy, it's basic physics.

REV2 doesn't reverse time. Claire fires an additional rocket. Is that such a massive difference from previous games? No.

Or any other thread on this forum it seems. For someone who loves to spend their time telling other people that their negative opinions mean nothing, you won't dare state any of your own.
                              Probably because I don't feel the need to vent them? Is that a problem now? You're getting quite obsessive about it since this isn't the first time you've remarked about how you want to hear my opinions.
                              Last edited by News Bot; 03-24-2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

So how else would you suggest killing organisms that are notoriously impossible to kill with conventional weapons yet have historically been shown to be susceptible to rockets?
                                I would make sure I take that into account when writing the fiction and devising an appropriate death for the final boss. A good example is the Robocop remake introducing the idea of Robo's armour only being vulnerable to .5 cal & higher weaponry .But if we have to stick to Rocket Launchers, then that could leave a hole in the skin / skeleton that exposed a weak point vulnerable to other weaponry.

Let's not forget that Jill stick a final bullet in Nemesis, which look to have killed it.

And Bullets, buckshot & Grenades cause damage to the Tyrant, Birkin, Mr X and Nemesis so you would also expect them to die eventually if exposed to a constant barrage of firepower. Especially when your heart is external.

Subscribe and click the for video updates!Available on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/jon-al-the-legolambs-musicals/id744949905Subscribe here! ...

What's wrong with the killing blow to Wesker?
                                It's the third time Chris has gone up against Wesker, and the fourth time the player might have in the series. The player should be firing that final shot. You could have had a much more interesting end if it had to be done as Chris whilst hanging onto the ladder on the helicopter, whilst Wesker is tugging at it.

Although I am happy to say that this all probably stems from one of the most heart breaking moments of fiction to me:

Spoiler:

Is that such a massive difference from previous games? No.
                                Well, in RE1,2,3,CV, potentially 4, 6 & REV1 you fire the final shot yourself. So that does make it different. And even if it didn't that doesn't make it good. There's no reason why, upon firing the final rocket yourself, you cut to see travel to Alex and kill her.

Large things are clumsy, it's basic physics
                                And there are ways to make it look better. The creature doesn't react at all, it just awkward falls back. It doesn't help that you fade in from a rocket launcher sight to see it, then the camera fades out again a few seconds later to a video of it falling.

You're getting quite obsessive about it since this isn't the first time you've remarked about how you want to hear my opinions.
                                Well, obsessive suggests a constant focus. And whilst I do imagine you look like the old man in your pic wearing white PJs with Umbrella logos on whilst you're at home every now and then, possibly drinking from an Umbrella mug whilst watching the Wesker Report for the 3rd time that day on DVD*, it's the posts of a man who only deals in facts but dismisses opinions that inspire me to find out what's behind the facts.

Are you on any of the Umbrella podcasts? Maybe I'll unearth some clues there.

* BTW, that's not an insult, the picture clearly isn't of you (I hope) so imagining someone like that as an RE fanboy is an amusing juxtaposition to me. And my own amusings may not be "relevent", I may be the only person talking about them, but that doesn't make them "nothing".

Comment

Working...
                                X