Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think led to Weskers downfall/death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nemesis was nothing more than the parasite itself on vestiges of flesh after being decimated with the rail cannon. You could probably kill it with your fists at that point. That scene was to add payoff and gratification, and it worked judging by how popular it is.

Bullets, buckshots and grenades do not damage Tyrants or other such creatures outside of gameplay. A rocket is the only thing capable to damaging them, and both the T-103 and Nemesis-T have blastpoof coats, meaning a rocket won't kill them unless you fire at them repeatedly and strip off the coat. So the series has already addressed your concern there.

The player did fire that final shot at Wesker... it just cut to an impact scene like other games. And in the previous battle, you have the option of stabbing Wesker directly in the chest multiple times, so it's double the payoff.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

and it worked judging by how popular it is.
      And it's a shame subsequent boss encounters haven't been inspired by that.

Bullets, buckshots and grenades do not damage Tyrants or other such creatures outside of gameplay.
      Both Nemesis and Mr X leak blood when shot, and they fall over after taking X amount of damage in each encounter, so they are being harmed. The blastproof coats are an attempt to cover up that contradiction, which doesn't work well.

I appreciate that it's a game and that they're trying to juggle lots of different ideas and sometimes they have to make sacrifices (like players not getting infected if bitten by zombies), but I think they could do better with final both deaths, both what happens and how they're implemented, and I'm bored of Rocket Launchers.

The player did fire that final shot at Wesker...
      Is there a post-volcano battle I'm forgetting? I remember Chris and Shiva firing a rocket each into him whilst he attacks the helicopter during the FMV.
      "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

Both Nemesis-T and T-103 react like that only in gameplay. There is no contradiction. The series has always separated gameplay and plot, because you can't have satisfying gameplay if the enemies are just like how they're written. It's the same reason the handguns sound like pea-shooters, to make them seem weak to the player even though most handguns would deafen you in the situations they're used in this series.

The player is the one who fires the rocket during that cutscene. Hence the QTE. If you don't fire, Wesker pulls you into the lava with him.

Comment

To say that they work one way in gameplay and another in the plot is a contradiction in their behaviour between the two. You can't dismiss the player's experience either, because so much of this stuff written since won't(I don't remember any files on coats in RE2 or RE3) be read by players.

You could easily tweak the plot so that there is less of, or no contradiction by embracing the rejuvenating properties of some of the viruses at play.

It's the same reason the handguns sound like pea-shooters, to make them seem weak to the player even though most handguns would deafen you in the situations they're used in this series.
          Whilst the audio is behaving in two different ways, it's not the level of contradict that we're dealing with above. And, TBH, the RE weapons have always sounded quite realistic. 99% of games, films and TV bump up the audio of guns because they sound much more like loud pops in real life than thundering metal cannons.

Hence the QTE.
          Cool, I don't remember this as a QTE. I hope it was on the trigger button and not the 'A' button (X360 pad. Still would have preferred to manually aim and fire weapon the weapon as usual then cut to a camera of the rocket en-route.

Comment

I'll give you that there's a disparity between gameplay and story, just as there is in most games ever made. You can dismiss the player experience if it doesn't match with the story. In the end the latter is what carries on. It's irrelevant whether the players read them or not and while yes you could easily tweak the plot, only the writers have that authority and choose not to.

Comment

In reality none of the stars members are ever grabbed/bitten

Comment

Originally posted by Deathlygasm View Post
                Amongst surviving STARS, Rebecca gets bitten and scratched in a couple of RE0 cutscenes, but by Eliminators. It seems they were not supossed to be infectious creatures, otherwise Rebecca has a high viral inmunity.
                The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Originally posted by Deathlygasm View Post
                  Unless you count the zombie hands in the re2 licker corridor area and the street area in re3
                  when Jill is chased one attempts to grab you from the side window when blast through the door.

Comment

The common presence of ludonarrative dissonance doesn't make every instance of the problem acceptable. The number of rules formed in either story or play that are broken in the other vary in number and severity from title to title. At its worst, these contradictions can rob a scene (interactive or not) of the intended emotional response.

And even though we can't change a released game, talking about it (whether it's press articles, devs around a water cooler or forum communities) can affect sales and shape future releases, especially in the internet age. And as developers, we're always juggling so many variables and don't always make the right choices so we need abit of backlash every now and then to keep us in check.

It will be interesting to see if the Uncharted 4 and the next Tomb Raider attempt to leave their predecessors' high body counts behind in order to create more rounded, sympathetic leads.

Comment

Working...
                    X