Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 Platform and Version Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 Platform and Version Differences

Folks, I started this thread over on GAF but I'm going to cross post it here as I might get some more definitive answers from yourselves. Trying to assemble a list of all the version differences across the main releases and platforms for the first three Resident Evil titles. The list is as follows so far...

Also, if a note has an asterix, it means that this is a feature exclusive to that version. I've mentioned which version each subsequent release is based on so all of the features from that build should be included unless otherwise stated.

Resident Evil
    Playstation
    Original version, things to note:
    -No auto-aim in Western releases (Auto-aim is present in the original Japanese release)
    -Dpad Only
    -Censored intro presented in B&W (Fully uncensored and in B&W in the original Japanese release)
    -Censored Kenneth death scene (Uncensored in original Japanese release)
    -Japanese release includes alternate Opening Song & Ending Song by Fumitaka Fuchigami (click for links)
    -Japanese release includes difficulty description in the character select screen (Chris = Hard, Jill = Easy)
    -Japanese release includes background images for all files (Black backgrounds in international versions)
    -Japanese release has an adjusted difficulty (Enemies have less health, both characters have more health, Ink Ribbons contain 3 instead of 2, Zombies are easier to defeat by shooting the torso)

Playstation Director's Cut
    Based on the Playstation original, with the following changes:
    -Original/Standard mode included (Based on the original Japanese difficulty for Resident Evil, see above)
    -Advanced mode included (Mixes up puzzle item, ammo, health and enemy amounts/locations, Handgun with a random chance to headshot, additional Forest scene, some rearranged camera angles and retextured rooms)
    -Training mode included (Essentially easy mode)
    -Censored Intro/Kenneth death (French and German versions of this game have the uncensored & colour intro, however these versions are unavailable digitally.)
    -Original US release was advertised as uncensored and was mentioned on the box reverse, despite the game still being censored
    -Auto-aim
    -Dpad only
    -One new additional costumes for both characters (totals three outfits for each)
    -Japanese version now uses the same instrumental Opening & Ending music from the international versions
    *Retail version came with a trial for Resident Evil 2
    -Available on EU PSN Store (Runs at Euro 50Hz, so 5/6th of the US version, English text & English voice acting) or on the JP PSN Store (Runs at NTSC 60Hz, Japanese text with English voice acting)

Playstation Director's Cut Dual Shock
    Based on Director's Cut's cut, with the following differences:
    *Infamous reworked soundtrack by Mamoru Samuragochi (actually by Takashi Niigaki)*
    *Supports Rumble and Analogue
    *International version has increased difficulty (Enemies have more health, both characters have less, Ink ribbons give 2 instead of 3 again)
    -Not available in Europe
    -Available in US as the Greatest Hits label version of Director's Cut, I beileve.
    -Available on US PSN Store

PC
    Same as the Playstation original with the following differences:
    *Uncensored, colour opening intro video/Kenneth death scene
    *Exclusive unlockable weapon for each character (MAC-10 for Jill, FN Minimi for Chris)
    *Different alt outfit for each character
    -No auto-aim
    -Door animations are skipable

Saturn
    Same as the Playstation original with the following differences:
    Deadly Silence (DS)
    Reworked version of the original with the following differences:
    -Classic mode
    *Rebirth Mode (Includes new/reworked puzzles and item/enemy locations, first person knife battle touch screen encounters, Handgun can randomly perform headshots)
    *Reworked item menu for both modes including touch screen support
    *Top screen used for map, ammo and health, bottom screen for the game itself
    *Local Wireless multiplayer mode, supports up to four players in either cooperative or competitive modes. Features three stages (Mansion, Guardhouse, Labs) and nine playable characters (Chris, Jill, Barry, Rebecca, Wesker, Forest, Kenneth, Richard, Enrico)
    -Auto-aim activated by default
    *Ability to use knife without equipping for both modes
    *Ability to reload while aiming for both modes
    *Ability to 180 turn for both modes
    *New alt costumes for both characters
    -Censored intro
    -Uncensored Kenneth death
    *Includes subtitles for both FMVs and in-engine cutscenes
    *Some music tracks are not present, replaced with alternate music (Likely size limitation of the DS cartridges)
    *Loading screens/doors can be skipped
    *In-engine cutscenes can be skipped
    *Lower graphical quality in backgrounds and FMVs, lower sound quality overall

This link should show the differences in costumes between versions.

Resident Evil 2
    Playstation
    Original version, things to note:
    -Dpad only
    -No rumble
    -Normal and Easy difficulty
    -Auto-aim is included, but it's need to be activated in the menu (Always on in the Japanese version, no option to disable within the menu)
    -4th Survivor unlockable minigame
    -Tofu Survivor unlockable minigame
    -No Extreme Battle
    -Japanese release has adjusted difficulty (Enemies have less health and the player has more, less enemies with different placement, different ammo/health placement)
    -Japanese release has censored game over screens (You Died against a black background, no death animations)
    -Japanese release game ranks go from S through D, West releases rank A through E
    -320x240 resolution
    -Two discs

Playstation Dual Shock Ver
    Based on the original version, with the following additions:
    -Analogue support
    -Rumble Support
    -Extreme Battle mode can be unlocked
    -Arrange/Rookie Mode (Start with infinite ammo S. Machine Gun, infinite ammo R. Launcher/Gatling Gun in item box)
    -Japanese release includes a USA mode under "Arranged" (US difficulty mode)
    -Available for download on US and EU PSN (US 60Hz version on both stores)

Nintendo 64
    Based on the Playstation original version, with the following notes:
    -Does not include any additions from the Dual Shock or PC releases
    *Expansion Pak support EDIT: (Enables higher resolutions, which vary based on the scenes and scale to output at 512x384. Need to look into this one further)
    *16 Ex Files can be found, linking the game to both Resident Evil 3 and the then unreleased Resident Evil Code:Veronica and Resident Evil Zero
    *Different unlockable costumes for both characters
    *3D control method in addition to the 2D "tank controls"
    *Item randomiser option unlockable (Affects ammo and health)
    *Blood colour option (Red, blue, black, green)
    *Violence Control option (Adjust the amount of blood and gore)
    -Lower quality FMVs due to compression
    -Annette's Recollection FMV streamlined to one variation meaning it will always be incorrect for both scenarios.
    -Missing Scenario B credit music
    *Sound now uses higher quality midi samples and Dolby Surround, although sounds much duller than other versions
    -Character models were reworked, the models themselves are smoother although their textures are of a lower quality
    *One Cartridge

Windows 98
    Based on the Dual Shock Ver with the following additions:
    -Both 320x240 & 640x480 background resolutions
    -Can run at 60fps
    -Slightly improved graphics for in-engine models
    -Hard difficulty unlockable under Original Mode
    -Arrange Mode includes Easy, Normal and Hard difficulties
    -Gallery mode (Character model/concept art/FMV viewer)
    -Two discs

Dreamcast
    Based on the Windows 98 version with the following additions:
    -Runs at 640x480
    -Runs at 30fps for 3D scenes with video interpolation (60fps for menus)
    -VMU monitor for health and ammo
    -At least two music tracks are missing and not replace, these rooms are now silent ("Left Alone" outside the RPD, "The Buildup of Suspense" in Marvin's office)
    -Can be run in VGA mode
    -Arrange mode difficulties retitled to Rookie, Expert and Nightmare
    -Supports rumble
    -Supports analogue or dpad
    -Japanese release (Biohazard 2 Value Plus) has Hunk, Tofu and Extreme Battle unlocked by default
    -Two discs

Gamecube
    Based on the Dual Shock Ver with the following notes:
    -Does not include any additions from the Windows 98, Dreamcast or N64 versions
    -Background resolution is at 320x240 upscaled
    -Slightly improved graphics for in-engine models
    *In-engine cutscenes can be skipped
    *Main Menu voice is different
    -Analogue support
    -Rumble support
    *One minidisc

SourceNext PC Rerelease (JP Only)
    Based on the Windows 98 Ver with the following notes:
    *Updated to run on Windows XP
    *Best quality CG FMVs running 640x480 and 30fps
    -Hunk, Tofu and Extreme battle unlocked by default
    *One DVD
    -Japanese language only (Translation patch available)

Resident Evil 3
    Playstation
    Original version. Some things to note:
    -320x240
    -Hard/Easy difficulties (Japanese release titles these as Heavy/Light, both are easier; you have more health and enemies have less)
    -Analogue support
    -Rumble support
    -Auto-aim default activated
    -Mercenaries unlockable minigame
    -Five additional outfits unlockable
    -Eight unlockable Epilogues screens
    -Some scenes censored in Europe, such as hunter hospital scene, kicking ankle biting zombies' heads off (These will also be reflected in US/Japanese re-releases on all platforms)
    -German release censored even further (No gore, grey blood, enemies disappear when defeated, Mercs minigame broken)
    -Available on both EU and US PSN Store (US 60Hz version on both stores)

Dreamcast
    Based on Playstation original with the following additions:
    -640x480
    -Slightly higher quality in-engine models
    -Two additional outfits
    -All outfits default unlocked, selectable when starting a new game
    -Mercenaries minigame default unlocked
    -Clothing boutique is inaccessible through normal ingame methods (Boutique Key is no longer an unlockable, costumes are selectable in the menu)

Windows 98
    Based on the Dreamcast version with the following additions
    -Ability to run the game in resolutions up to 1600x1200 (albeit the background will always be 640x480 upscaled)

Gamecube
    Based on the Playstation version with the following additions
    -Slightly higher quality in-engine models
    -Slightly higher quality CG FMVs
    -Runs at 640x480, same for backgrounds
    -Brightness option added to Options menu
    *Main menu voice is different

SouceNext PC Rerelease (JP Only)
    Based on the Windows 98 version with the following additions:
    *Updated to run on Windows XP
    *Best quality CG FMVs running 640x480 and 30fps
    -Japanese language only (Translation patch available)

Can anyone see any mistakes or anything I've missed? Also, I would love some confirmation on how the games handle resolution and/or background resolution as I can't find any concrete answers for those.
    Last edited by randomwab; 05-05-2015, 06:06 PM.

Great info, thanks

Only thing I'm missing is the DC version difficulty settings: Original mode (Easy-Normal-Hard, auto-aim enabled but no hidden ammo/herbs) and Arrange mode (Rookie-Expert-Nightmare, auto-aim disabled but hidden ammo/herbs in some rooms). PC version has this too, but Easy-Normal-Hard are displayed under both Original and Arrange instead.
    The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

A few things off with the list:
      - RE1 does have auto aim, it's just disabled for western editions. The original comes with it enabled.
      - RE2 for Dreamcast doesn't run at 60 fps. It's 30 fps for 3D scenes (with video interpolation) and 60 fps for menus.
      - RE2 for N64 doesn't run at 480p with the expansion pack. It's more like 512x384 or something close.
      Last edited by Gemini; 05-04-2015, 10:07 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
      , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Originally posted by randomwab View Post
        Folks, I started this thread over on GAF but I'm going to cross post it here as I might get some more definitive answers from yourselves. Trying to assemble a list of all the version differences across the main releases and platforms for the first three Resident Evil titles. The list is as follows so far...
        Nice job, Randomwab
        A few more things:
        - In BH1 (Japanese edition) it was easier to kill a zombie by shooting it in the stomach (enemies in the Japanese version are notoriously weaker than in the Westerner versions). This was almost completely removed from the Westerner versions - or happens a lot less frequently. I'll try to bring a screenshot or small video this week to illustrate what I am talking about.
        - In RE3 (european edition), I heard that some scenes are censored. The most famous one is the Hunter beheading a zombie in the hospital; in the censored version, the zombie is not beheaded... something like that. This may be only for the German version of the game, thought. Maybe someone else can give the proper details.
        Bloodborne: my Facebook page and my Youtube page

Comment

-Censored Intro/Kenneth death (French and German versions of this game are actually Uncensored, however these versions are unavailable digitally)
          Uncensored and in colour as well. Only the JP versions have the B&W uncensored intro. (edit : oddly enough, the JP version of Deadly Silence has the censored intro, just like the western versions)
          Maybe you should add that only the first JP PS1 version had the intro & outro songs by Fumitaka Fuchigami.

Also, I believe you can skip doors in every version of RE1-2-3 on PC.

In the PC and DC versions of RE3, you can't go to the clothing store to change outfits because its key is no longer an unlockable item.

RE2 on DC has full screen FMV (4/3 ratio) in high quality.
          edit : RE2 on DC also has at least two music tracks removed for whatever reasons ("Left Alone ?" in front of the RPD main door and "The buildup of suspense" in the room with Marvin)
          Still on this subject, those tracks are not replaced by another track, there's just silence. On the contrary, in Deadly Silence, the missing tracks are replaced by other tracks that are normally used elsewhere, meaning that they appear twice. For example, the music you get when you solve the paintings puzzle is the same you normally get when you watch the slides in the lab.

Director's Cut Advanced Mode not only has rearranged camera angles but also some re-textured rooms.
          The second Tyrant fight in the lab in RE1 Saturn version is only for Chris.
          Last edited by Sly; 05-04-2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

I'll see what I can remember worth adding...

Resident Evil - Playstation Director's Cut
            I think it's worth noting here the back cover of the original US DC release says it's uncensored when it obviously wasn't.

RE2 / RE3 Gamecube
            I think for RE2 and RE3 on the Gamecube, not just the cut scenes are skippable but also the door scenes, but my copies are half way around the world so I can't confirm this - someone else might have to confirm.

Also worth noting on the PAL PSN stores the copies of RE2 and RE3 are the US NTSC versions rather than digital copies of the PAL versions.

I was going to say the same thing Sly said about the costume shop key on RE3... because the DC and PC versions have a costume select option instead for the costumes as you mention... but I think the door is not locked as I recall so you can reselect from there even after starting a new game.

That's all I can think of.
            Last edited by Rombie; 05-04-2015, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can't skip doors in the GC versions of 2&3. It's worth noting that while you can skip cutscenes in the GC version of RE2, you can't do the same ine the PC versions. So you have to choose between skipping doors or skipping scenes...
              Since we are on the subject, you can not only skip doors in Deadly Silence, but cutscenes as well.
              Also, the clothing store is definitely closed no matter what you do in RE3 on PC & DC. The store only has 5 slots for the 5 bonus outfits, so the 2 extra ones would not fit anywhere anyway.

Comment

^ I've thought about it more and you're right on both counts. I remember now for RE2/3 on the GC... it loaded quickly and the music played while the doors were still opening, but still weren't able to be skipped. The costume thing makes sense, I was thinking incorrectly from when I made that image above that I'd done so on the PC version in front of the costume store - but I think it's just outside the warehouse and I loaded the game up several times and got to that point.

Comment

Some more things to note:

- In the German RE Director's Cut it's just the intro that is uncensored, the Kenneth scene and the ending where Chris smokes a cigarette are still censored, don't ask me why. I haven't checked, but I guess it's the same for the French release.

- The Japanese BH2 is easier (same with BH1 and BH3) and has slightly different enemy placements and is missing various health/ammo/ink ribbon items that were added to the western release. It also censores the death scenes, including Kendo's death.

- In the Japanese BH3 Jill can kick off the heads of Zombies chewing on her legs, this was removed in the western release and also in the Japanese PSN release of BH3.

I'm only talking about the Playstation versions, I haven't played any of the ports.
                  Last edited by Upaluppa; 05-04-2015, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Good job randomwab. One point, RE3 (PAL) for Dreamcast hasn't 60Hz option, you need to use "Pal patcher" to make a backup running at 60Hz.

Comment

One thing I know is you can look for wesker under the stairs in the main hall in RE1. Not sure if you can do the same in REmake/HDmake. Someone willing to confirm? This can only be done playing as Jill.

Comment

Resident Evil 2

Windows 98
                        -4th Survivor default unlocked
                        -Tofu Survivor default unlocked
                        -Exteme Battle mode default unlocked
                        Nope, definitely not true. I own a copy of the Win98 port (Euro UK release), and after a fresh install to a previously untouched system, the minigames are not available from the get go, you still have to unlock them in one of two ways, either beat the Leon and Claire-games under certain pre-defined conditions, or tweak some of the game's system registry settings with the Windows registry editor.

Also, regarding RE3 for PC, it's true that the clothes boutique has been permanently sealed off from access because you can choose the player outfit from the main menu, however, the actual room is still there and can still be accessed trough a special game save hack. There's a guide at Gamefaqs I remember seeing that details this trick.

Comment

Hunk, Tofu and Extreme Battle are unlocked by default in Biohazard 2 Value Plus (Dreamcast JP version), but not in western releases. This is also the case in SourceNext PC re-release (don't know about the first one).
                          So I guess this is only true for JP PC&DC versions, not western releases.

Michael : You are right, PAL RE3 on Dreamcast does not have 60 Hz. However, PAL RE2 on Dreamcast does. This is the only PAL console version of RE1-2-3 I know that can handle it. Even the GameCube versions don't have 60 Hz - but you can speed up RE3 with a Freeloader which causes some bugs here and there.

Ultimacloud123 : You can also look for Wesker under the stairs in REmake but that's irrelevant since we are only speaking of RE1-2-3.
                          Last edited by Sly; 05-04-2015, 09:42 PM.

Comment

*Sound now uses higher quality midi samples and Dolby Surround, although sounds much duller than other versions
                            -Character models were reworked, the models themselves are smoother although their textures are of a lower quality
                            *One Cartridge[/INDENT]
                            This sounds completely redundant mostly the sound effects point.
                            Originally posted by imacwesker
                            edit : RE2 on DC also has at least two music tracks removed for whatever reasons ("Left Alone ?" in front of the RPD main door and "The buildup of suspense" in the room with Marvin)
                            That is very strange quite bizarre.
                            Last edited by NEOMEGA; 05-05-2015, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks a ton for the replies guys! I've updated the list with all of your changes and additions (as far as I can tell) as well as a few additional from NeoGAF, namely (click for links):

-Some additional notes about the N64 version of Resi 2
                              -Some additional regional differences across several releases
                              -Confirmation of the Gamecube release of Resi 3's resolution

Again, if there's anything I've missed or is incorrect, please let me know!

Comment

Working...
                              X