No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This game is awesome. If I recall the first RE was supposed to be 1st person. Can anyone confirm? If that's the case then this gives us the closest feel to what the original was originally designed/concept.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ultimacloud123 View Post
      This game is awesome. If I recall the first RE was supposed to be 1st person. Can anyone confirm? If that's the case then this gives us the closest feel to what the original was originally designed/concept.
      I don't know about that, but I always detested first person games. I don't totally dislike them, but they were never really an interest to me. Some games from my top franchises have had a first person perspective before and that's okay. Silent Hill 4: The Room, Resident Evil Survivor, and Dead Aim. Etc.

I guess I was fairly content and happy with spin off games being first person, but I guess with the advanced graphics we have nowadays, RE7 was made at the right time, so it to me is not a big deal. It's different, and I liked the parts where Ethan had to get between the gaps between walls. It gave you a sense of 'What will await me next?" which was cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ultimacloud123 View Post
        This game is awesome. If I recall the first RE was supposed to be 1st person. Can anyone confirm? If that's the case then this gives us the closest feel to what the original was originally designed/concept.
        That is true, they couldn't do it due to the limitations of the time.

The quality of this game was a pleasant surprise for me, I don't have much to say about the gameplay but the story was interesting, and the fact that it doesn't give you all answers is a big plus for me.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Leon Scottfield View Post
          That is true, they couldn't do it due to the limitations of the time.

The quality of this game was a pleasant surprise for me, I don't have much to say about the gameplay but the story was interesting, and the fact that it doesn't give you all answers is a big plus for me.
          I think RE1 development started in 1994 IIRC from source code file? Back then a PSX first-person game would of looked like the first King's Field. I guess they could of been going for pre-rendered even then (where the screen is refreshed every step you take like a dungeon RPG).. but yeah that would of sucked!

PSX first-person games are definitely an acquired taste, I did try a few recently and I like the Echo Night series and Shadow Tower (which you could say was the first Souls game). The graphics are pretty awful but they still give me the sense of "being there" in the environment, they're not totally abstract I don't mind old games too much, PS1 is my generation I guess, it's cool to see what came out at that time when I was busy doing other stuff!

Anyways, current-gen first-person horror is great when done right (RE7, Alien Isolation) so looking forward to more. Not giving all of the story is a good strategy for gamedev, makes people think, you get tired of following some huge "fantasy" lore thing.

Comment

• Thank you TheSelfishGene and Blacktail.

There are a couple of other things I've been wondering about, which I have to check the next time I play. Have any of you guys happened to try these things to see what results they yield?

Spoiler:
            Last edited by RetroRain; 01-31-2017, 07:27 AM.
            My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
            ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

• Originally posted by RetroRain View Post
              Thank you TheSelfishGene and Blacktail.

There are a couple of other things I've been wondering about, which I have to check the next time I play. Have any of you guys happened to try these things to see what results they yield?

Spoiler:
              Answers in quote in bold.
              Last edited by jam287; 01-31-2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• I liked the game mostly, although I find the 2nd half a complete dud and the ending was very poorly done. Leaving more answers on the ending to be further expounded upon in DLC is such a shitty way of doing things.

It's got the classic RE troupes in there, but there isn't a whole lot of downtime and you're constantly dealing with a problem or an enemy. The game is a little too dark and serious. I think fixed camera angles in third person would of been a far better approach.

Also, Uroboros style sludge monsters are fucking stale at this point.
                Last edited by Snake Plissken; 01-31-2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• What exactly are the monsters called? The Molded?

Comment

• Thank you jam287.

Comment

• Bring on RE8 now. Seriously!

Comment

• I'm much more looking forward to REmake 2 than anymore sequels. Although, I fear what they have in mind for it's gameplay style and look.

Comment

• What they should do with Remake 2 is give the best of both worlds. "Fixed Camera Angles" and the first person aspect of RE7 if not as a option in the menu a unlockable for beating the game.

Comment

• Pre-rendered backgrounds with awkward camera angles/tank controls is the only way to do it. The declining sales over the past decade have shown people are tired of what were getting.

Comment

• There are a lot of factors to consider.

A. The game just came out. It could be 6 months to a year, or slightly more, before the sum total of sales on RE7 match up to those of RE5 and RE6.

According to some articles I read, RE5 is Capcom's top selling RE game, with RE6 in second place.

B. If by some chance people are not buying RE7 because it is not "RE" enough for them, that is where the remake of RE2 comes in. Hence, it was a smart move of Capcom to release the remake AFTER the release of RE7. That way, they can see what fans are truly looking for.

Because I honestly don't know.

It was the right decision to bring back the fear and horror to RE, but sales wise, it might prove to be the opposite, as shown by RE5/RE6.

I think the remake of RE2 will give Capcom a much clear picture of how they should proceed.

If I am interpreting this right though, so far the sales of RE7 haven't been that good. Certaintly not what Capcom was hoping for. But as I said, there is also the time factor. I'm sure there are a lot of people that want to buy RE7 and just have not gotten around to it yet, or they are waiting to buy it because they are pre-occupied with other games. I feel like it is too early to tell.

But from a business standpoint, I have no idea what Capcom is thinking at the moment. I remember that after RE5 was released, they went right to work on RE6. They didn't waste much time with it.

So, part of me feels bad for Capcom, because they are trying to give fans what they want, and it seems like that business-wise it is not cutting it for them.

Let's just say for sake of argument, that what fans really want are the fixed camera angles, zombies, plus the fear and tension. Let's say the Remake of 2 does all of these things, and it still does not sell very well at all. Capcom might look at that and say that maybe the RE5/RE6 route is the way to go.

Definitely a tricky scenario. If anyone wants to ammend or elaborate on what I said, please do. I'm not exactly the most knowledgable person when it comes to sales. Are the first week's sales really the most important?
                              Last edited by RetroRain; 02-03-2017, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• I'd only want a remake of RE2 if it was like the GameCube remake of the original RE. In 2017, I cannot see anybody really wanting to do a scene for scene update of a PS1 game.

Comment

Working...
                                X