Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any more infos about the Code Veronica development/beta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any more infos about the Code Veronica development/beta?

I was curious about what got scrapped in Code Veronica, and it seems that it was not widely documented besides the imacwesker videos in youtube and the Nakai artworks that got revealed a few months ago.

What I do know.

Claire initially had the same design from the final version, just with pink pants until it was replaced by the RE2 outfit in early 1999, also her clothes can be partially ripped when attacked.

Hunter death animations were different.

Not sure if is on CV, but RE Survivor 2: CV, Claire have an flesh texture inside her neck, this can be seen at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vmRRWGtXZU, indicating that an head gib was made at one point.

There was an FPS view camera at the New Challenge 98 trailer, probably the same one used at the battle mode.

The battle mode was an replacement for the scrapped Rodrigo adventure side story.

Steve had an comlpetely different design in Nakai artworks.

There is actually a few items in the final game, such as ammo for weapons that doesn't have collectible ammo, and early versions of puzzle items.

Texture for the menu for an scrapped monster fighting minigame.

The Dual MAC 10 was initially an weapon that Claire could use it at the prison in an TGS 1999 public test, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r8CRmoWz3E, note that the game uses the magic door system.

Claire's earliest 'clothing' was more than just a different skin to me, her general design looks to be different than the end model. At this point I'm not sure if the first video was nothing more than a target video showing some elements they had made for the game rather than the game itself (camera placement in the first gameplay are quite different too, looking like it was all just static wides).

The neck thing you mention comes from an entire gore system that once existed for the game, which seems to come under a bout of self-censorship late in development. Early video and screens occasionally show zombies with limbs coming off, and it's likely given the sound effects and chunks that still fly in the end result - decapitations at least were once implemented for both enemies and characters then removed.

One of the early TGS videos also talked about something stalking you through the game, although there is various conjecture if this went very far in a plan for the game.... and discussions say it was moved to the spin-off with Nemesis that in turn eventually became RE3. People like iMacWesker and News Bot probably can tell you more.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
      Claire's earliest 'clothing' was more than just a different skin to me, her general design looks to be different than the end model. At this point I'm not sure if the first video was nothing more than a target video showing some elements they had made for the game rather than the game itself (camera placement in the first gameplay are quite different too, looking like it was all just static wides).

The neck thing you mention comes from an entire gore system that once existed for the game, which seems to come under a bout of self-censorship late in development. Early video and screens occasionally show zombies with limbs coming off, and it's likely given the sound effects and chunks that still fly in the end result - decapitations at least were once implemented for both enemies and characters then removed.

One of the early TGS videos also talked about something stalking you through the game, although there is various conjecture if this went very far in a plan for the game.... and discussions say it was moved to the spin-off with Nemesis that in turn eventually became RE3. People like iMacWesker and News Bot probably can tell you more.
      I forgot to say the decaptation part, indeed, it existed in 1999, at least it had on the arms, but got cut when the demo came out with RE2 in Japan, but IIRC the demo had more blood spill compared to the final version.

Also, about stalking, that's from the first trailer at New Challenge 98, just a week before or after the cancellation of final version of RE2 for saturn, as it says "it stalks its prey with running (too blurry to see the last word), its movements are lightning quick, his powers, terryfing, and its immortal"

It indeed looks like Nemesis, but the title screen looks like an Hunter, which also matches everything but the immortal part, finally on Survivor 2, Nemesis make its appearance when the time is up, and is also immortal (except for a special boss battle I think)

Comment

CV was almost completely outsourced so even within CAPCOM there would be little information on its development, or indeed any left-over development materials.

The "something" is fear, not an actual thing. Nemesis-T and the idea of a pursuing enemy were made solely for BIO3.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
          The "something" is fear, not an actual thing. Nemesis-T and the idea of a pursuing enemy were made solely for BIO3.
          Can I chalk the way it's overly personified into potentially a creature to be the work of bad translation (once again) then? Because it feels far more heavily implied to be something than being as abstract as fear. I can totally get how it's still clearly what you say, but the way it's worded and presented is way off base.

Comment

Can I chalk the way it's overly personified into potentially a creature to be the work of bad translation (once again) then? Because it feels far more heavily implied to be something than being as abstract as fear. I can totally get how it's still clearly what you say, but the way it's worded and presented is way off base.
            Nearly every English trailer caption in the series is way off the mark from the original Japanese, so it wouldn't be surprising. It could also just be that whoever wrote it simply isn't good with words, because no such creature was ever planned for CV.
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
              Nearly every English trailer caption in the series is way off the mark from the original Japanese, so it wouldn't be surprising. It could also just be that whoever wrote it simply isn't good with words, because no such creature was ever planned for CV.
              Plot Twist: Its the big balls monster from Nakai artworks.

Comment

Why did they remove the head shot gore and arms falling off and torso shotgun blast falling off ?
                I never understood why , since it happened in re2 why all of a sudden sensor some of the gore ? Was it SEGA's idea ?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisliam2 View Post
                  Why did they remove the head shot gore and arms falling off and torso shotgun blast falling off ?
                  I never understood why , since it happened in re2 why all of a sudden sensor some of the gore ? Was it SEGA's idea ?
                  Kinda weird, from Gun Survivor to Dead Aim there was no decaptations besides Zero and Remake

Comment

Here's the short short version as I was originally told years ago... in 1999 with various worldwide violence dramas, at the time Japan had no unified classification system for gaming, Capcom decided for unknown specific reasons, but likely profit and blame focused ones, internally mandated censoring worldwide... the US version of RE3 seems to have been the first title with any modifications as there is a decap scene removed from every version but the original Japanese one as is my understanding.

It seems by 2001 the Japanese rating system CERO was on it's way that Capcom seemingly began to review titles on a case by case basis to feel they will be judged correctly under worldwide standards (ESRB, UK BBFC, various European - later PEGI, and upcoming CERO requirements) based on what the product was and began to ease back on what it felt were good for each titles ratings and sales more based on audience. Because there doesn't seem to be any other reasons for the changes.

I've never thought it about it... Dead Aim is an interesting case. One can only suspect the light gun use combined with the idea of decap depictions are highly likely the cause of the censoring (back in 2000 the US version of Survivor dropped the gun support in wake of Columbine fallout, although Capcom and Sony both pointed fingers at each other over who required it for the cause).

Certainly would be interesting to hear more about this if there was staff who specifically could talk about the causes of these choices.
                    Last edited by Rombie; 11-04-2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X