No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 7 E3 2016 TAPE-1 "Desolation" Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it's enough to drag my ass back on here, so that's a start huh?

I like it. It's everything RE4, RE5 and RE6 aren't. Slower paced and genuinely creepy. I think people might be a little surprised if they exppect a supernatural horror game here, though - does anyone remember the RE4 Hallucination build?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that what's happened here is that the house in question is another guard post on top of an Umbrella lab, and those mannequins and ghostly flashes are the character tripping balls due to viral infection.

Plus...in the second ending you can find a little hint that the Umbrella Corporation is involved, since the chopper in the picture looks like it has there logo on it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	umbrella logo.png
Views:	1
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	404947
    Sorry for the crappy quality, but my laptop has not the shinies.

All told? This gave me some hope that RE2's Remake won't be a festering pile of co-op tainted action shit.

Besides, SOMEONE might as well use the PT idea since Konami were too fucking dumb to.

Comment

Looks to me like it could be a prequel. Maybe about a Raccoon City detective investigating the "gruesome murders" in the Arklay forests? Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the one gated looking area sort of reminded me of the abandoned hospital from Outbreak's Flashback front entrance, then they show an axe on the table.

The music just seemed unfitting for a horror game trailer. Also, got a Silent Hill vibe going on. I just hope it isn't in first person view, and that those cameras were just for the cinematic effect.
      Last edited by VirusPunk; 06-15-2016, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VirusPunk View Post
        Looks to me like it could be a prequel. Maybe about a Raccoon City detective investigating the "gruesome murders" in the Arklay forests? Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the one gated looking area sort of reminded me of the abandoned hospital from Outbreak's Flashback front entrance, then they show an axe on the table.

The music just seemed unfitting for a horror game trailer. Also, got a Silent Hill vibe going on. I just hope it isn't in first person view, and that those cameras were just for the cinematic effect.
        Played the demo several times - it's spooky and a good game - but still getting used to it as Resident Evil.
        No zombies or combat in the demo, and only a few ''hints'' at the past games.

It's been confirmed this demo (like PT) has nothing to do with the main game - it is not a section of it.. its more of a prequel to it.
        I've read in several sources that this game takes place post-RE6 too.

The only time it felt RE to me was opening doors or going down ladders in FP lol
        I hope they add a thrid person option TBQH - then I'd be happier.
        Last edited by RaccoonSurvivor; 06-15-2016, 04:56 AM.
        "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

Resident Evil 6.5 will surely make a great collector's item, someday

Originally posted by VirusPunk View Post
          Looks to me like it could be a prequel.
          I don't think it's a prequel; I remember seeing a June/July 2017 date somewhere in the demo.

So, I like it. I think. I'll definitely need another demo because I'm not completely sold on the notion. My main gripe with the demo was that it is way to short and there's really nothing much to do... and for that reason, it holds little to no replay value :/

However, I am hopeful to the new direction and admire the current attempt by CAPCOM to make Resident Evil unique again!
          I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post

Interested to see what their initial, immediately post RE6 release plans were because I get the distinct impression they didn't look like this.
            After the dust of RE6 had settled, someone from Capcom mentioned an ''open-world'' gameplay.

Comment

Been fiddling about with the demo for a few hours and noticed a few things and gathered a few thoughts.

1. I don't see it as what RE4+ should've been. I feel it reeks maybe a bit too much of the "me too" -- as it basically mimics every single haunted *blank* simulator that's been released during the past few years. So instead of being a trend setter or evolution of previously established standards, it feels like it's just following the trend. The most obvious comparison is of course P.T., which I also feel was more tightly designed and had a better feelin' of progression/discovery in its structure -- and even though P.T. was "solved" earlier than expected, it was by pure chance and it took days before people actually managed to reproduce and identify the "solution" properly.

2. I see a lot of talk on the web about the demo. That's good. But there are two things I haven't seen people comment on in their desperate search for a "solution" or different outcome to things. There's clearly a hidden door in the kitchen -- you can sort of "feel it" by how light's cast on it, how the main char places his hand on the boards and how it's the only place where there's a board nailed to the floor, essensially blocking the "door". Also, key items that aren't doors don't get markings from the axe, which is typical game behavior, the picture of the Baker family above the fireplace doesn't get markings from the axe (just like the fuse for the stair does if you try striking it after placing it; the other fuses do get markings) -- clearly something's up with that picture.

3. The VHS tape is a pretty cool game mechanic. For a more psychological horror thing, messing with reality or the present through a series of potentially overlapping tapes or tapes with creative implementation of content/editing/timelines could provide a pretty cool multi-layered puzzle mechanic with room for multiple solutions and branching paths. Sadly, I don't see this as a mechanic being further explored, especially with how the demo seemingly only has one tape and how RE has avoided the potentially supernatural or psychological in favor of being more grounded in physical and biological.

4. As most active RE fans have noticed: The demo contains a very prominent display of the catalog ID for the Resident Evil Director's Cut and the Resident Evil 2 demo ... can we expect a REmake 2 demo coming with RE7 in January?

5. The amount of options you can fiddle with in the settings menu is a positive and welcome thing -- despite most of these functions now being available on an OS level on both major platforms and most of the functions not exactly serving much of a purpose in the demo.

6. It's funny that this is actually a further developed version of the KITCHEN VR demo shown a whole year ago for PlayStation VR. Must be hilarius for some people to've tried Resident Evil 7 a whole year before anyone else ... and didn't even know it!

7. Logo is pretty nicely done with the VII/7 integrated in both Resident Evil and Biohazard (and both names featured in both regional versions of the game -- acting as sort of a subtitle) -- it's also funny how even KI7CHEN had the 7 hidden in its name.

8. Having played through the demo a few times, it's possible to trigger the two known demo endings without actually ending the demo -- whether this is intentional or just a bug ... beats me.

9. Regardless of what I feel about this "demo", I must say I'm still very much looking forward to the main game. I'm genuinly curius about where they're going with things, even if I can't help but feel that this demo is very low budget (to the point where I feel stuff liker P.T., Layers of Fear and other similar efforts done with small teams and creative minds, looks way more polished and feels less amateur-ish) - If there's one thing mainline RE games usually don't feel like; it's low budget.

Comment

Working...
              X