RE7 Opinions Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE7 Opinions Poll

So RE7 has been out for a few weeks now, how's everyone feel about it as a whole?

Trying to avoid spoilers here, but it's probably clear from other posts that I loved it - although there is alot that could have been improved upon.
    Last edited by Jimmy_Jazz; 02-14-2017, 07:53 AM.
    "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

loved the game, jumpscares 24/7 for me lol. but i wish the game was longer

Comment

There needs to be a "Gameplay was OK, Story was OK."

No real replay value and lack of enemy variations makes it extraordinarily dull.

Comment

I'm with Kurt Russell man here. The game is rather good in its own way, but it totally does not have that real RE "feel" to it anymore. But yeah, I know - it's supposed to be new and different, but you know what I am referring to. It's still a pretty good horror adventure game, but I kind of wasn't expecting much before it came out, since RE hasn't been the same for over a decade now. That way, I knew I wasn't going to be getting my hopes up thinking it was gonna be anything like the remake, because I'll be damned if Capcom ever makes a RE game like that again.

Way last year when it was first announced, I knew it literally would be a sequel in name only, as a sort of test to see if a full reboot is in order. To be honest, they shouldn't have labelled it as RE7. That just feels odd, in my opinion. Games can still be rebooted without ignoring everything that has gone on, so the canon stuff isn't eradicated in a disrespectful manner. To 'kill off' classic RE plot points would be dumb. However, that said, RE7 is not like any RE title from before. Minus a few links to Umbrella, it's basically something new entirely. They used the brand name to sell it. It's the same with Silent Hills.

Comment

In my eyes it got so much right that I can overlook the things that were slightly amiss. Smaller scale story is better in my opinion (literally a character who has no idea what's going on ala. RE and RE2). The story is a bit threadbare - but I think that on first playthrough having things fall into place in that last hour or so works fantastically. No subsequent playthrough will quite be the same knowing the story. RE4 is also really light on connections to 1, 2, and 3. Veronica, RE0, RE5 and RE6 are all bogged down in existing story and series lore and and are some of the worst games in the series in my opinion.

I disagree with people saying it doesn't feel like RE - In my opinion it's the closest the series has felt to the PSX trilogy since CODE: Veronica. It's gory, brutal and intense. It's got elements from RE1 (a strange environment to explore as you delve deeper into a story). Jump-scares from RE2, and the persistent adversary kind of tension and horror from RE3.

I think as I ponder on the story more I'll find it a bit wanting (have a look at this everyone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6GAwM83J2k) but it was serviceable and enjoyable for me the first time through.
          Last edited by TheSelfishGene; 02-15-2017, 12:42 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Well, I still kind of disagree, but I may as well get used to it, since Capcom just does whatever with their franchises. The new downloadable content is literally a joke, with that stupid "Jack's 55th Birthday" thing. That's not Resident Evil at all, in my eyes. When I play any RE game, I'm only interested in story driven stuff. Not comedy stuff. Can I just ask why you think 7 in general is even a true part of the series? Other than some trademark things from other games like the herbs, it's a complete stand-alone title.

And Silent Hill is dead now, since Konami have lost their touch. Silent Hill was always number two to my number one, but then they axed Silent Hills, so I have no more faith in Konami. It has been years since the last one came out on the Xbox 360 and PS3 in 2012. It's sad to see it go down like that after being a fan for so long, but nothing lasts forever. That's why I don't like to get too comfy with these bullshitters anymore. In this day and age, either expect nothing to get released after all the false promises and waiting impatiently but waiting with hope nonetheless, or everything to remain unresolved in favor of the whole thing eventually being rebooted. It's all they can do. These companies are just not what they were from back in the good old days of the PS2 era. You know? Survival horror as they knew it just isn't marketable any longer.

One developer just majorly let down a bunch of us horror gaming fans by cancelling one game then promising us another in its place. It's nice that they didn't ruin Christmas for us by telling us the bad news way back then after jerking us off for most of the year, unless they truly hadn't reached a decision on what to do yet, but not releasing Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities after the anticipation was killing us, is just so uncool. Anyway, I've talked about it in other posts already, so I'm not hijacking the thread as such, but it's more or less my stance on the whole state of this genre.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2017, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BSAA . Org View Post
              The new downloadable content is literally a joke, with that stupid "Jack's 55th Birthday" thing. That's not Resident Evil at all, in my eyes. When I play any RE game, I'm only interested in story driven stuff. Not comedy stuff. Can I just ask why you think 7 in general is even a true part of the series? Other than some trademark things from other games like the herbs, it's a complete stand-alone title.
              I'm glad they kept that sort of thing as DLC. I think the developers have always had a sense of humour but kept it out of the main games (for example The Tofu Survivor; Chris' alternate costumes in RE5).

I think the very reason I liked the story is the reason you disliked it - it's so separated from the others. I like that whoever made Eveline put consideration into how she'd fit into real world scenarios - details liked that are actually more important to me than who made Eveline. Compare that to Simmons giant fly thing from RE6 (or shit, literally any of his mutations) - we know who it is and how it happened, but in the real world it would be a ridiculous BOW.
              Also as I said earlier, the best REs in my opinion are the ones that aren't bogged in series lore, and can work as a standalone title (pretty much opposite to the above list RE1, RE2, RE4, Dead Aim, and I'd even include RE7).
              Last edited by TheSelfishGene; 02-15-2017, 01:10 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah. I also like that they try to take us in a new direction, but by doing so, it gets awfully confusing sometimes. It's like you wonder where all these viruses and Las Plagas or whatever, actually came from. It's never explained to us at times. The Las Plagas thing is actually pretty good. It shows us that the expanding world of RE has parasitic threats instead of just all the viruses, and when you get new evil companies and new heroes too, it's also interesting, because RE6 was a messy experience, and I'm glad Capcom saw the light. And then we get hybrids, and stuff. So yes. I do like some of the recent changes. It's just that their annoying habit of leaving parts of a story unresolved is bothersome.

I've also never really been all that bothered about first person shooter style games, but RE7 did it well. In fact, I may go try Outlast now.
                Yeah, I'm aware that it's been out since forever now, but I only just got a PS4 last month.

If RE7 is a reboot though, so is RE4. Come to think of it, a lot of games are pseudo reboots. I guess if you're like me, you could have a box that says Classic RE then New RE or Pish RE.

But that new "Saw: Legacy" is gonna be awful. Ha-ha. There was no need to bring this franchise back, but again, it's what they do.
                Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2017, 02:06 AM.

Comment

There needs to be a "Gameplay was OK, Story was OK."
                  Apologies, I can't find a way to retroactively add this in

I wouldn't look too much into the initial DLC - many developers are looking to leverage pre-existing content, including stuff cut from the initial release - to help get buy into season passes. The 'Not a Hero' DLC is probably going to be a good indication of what more can be done with proper story-led content.

As to "that RE feel" - I guess this reminds me of playing the original for the first time back in 96 and also the first half of RE4 - they both felt like they were charting new ground (and not relying on established worlds and pre-conceptions. I think the smaller house in RE7 and lack of regular soundtrack give it a different pace and tone to RE1,but it terms of exploring a single location that feels grounded it's on par with RE1&2. It's probably the first time since those, that we've got a cohesive and consistent environment. This is something that few other games get right though.

Even Revelation 1's boat feels like a poor facsimile of what a liner would be like due to your inability to explore one fully, and the playable sections of Alien: Isolation's Sevastopol and Dead Space's Ishimura bear little relation to potential their large exteriors portray.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
                    Apologies, I can't find a way to retroactively add this in
                    I've added it in for you
                    sigpic

Comment

The new DLC in general is just meh. I did like "Daughters" though. Even if it was very short, it's still canon, and still kind of creepy. The news broadcast opening was actually very cool. I thought I was watching a real movie at first. But yeah, it was over too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
                        I've added it in for you
                        Thank you I wish this forum had the option to 'Like' posts!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
                          I've added it in for you
                          Thanks, I cast a vote.

One thing that bugs me about the story is that there's only snippets of backstory as to who and what created the E-Series virus/mutagen. I think it's the first game in the main series at least that didn't turn over every stone in that regard.

I did like the HCF involvement though. We never got any real talk about the rival corporations really.
                          Last edited by Snake Plissken; 02-15-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Based on Resident Evil 7 and the engine tech, I'd say I wouldn't be surprised if one of the options we can toggle in the Resident Evil 2 remake is whether to play it in first or third person mode.

What is it with Resident Evil and boats, though?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                              Thanks, I cast a vote.

One thing that bugs me about the story is that there's only snippets of backstory as to who and what created the E-Series virus/mutagen. I think it's the first game in the main series at least that didn't turn over every stone in that regard.

I did like the HCF involvement though. We never got any real talk about the rival corporations really.
                              Whilst it falls at the final hurdle, there's something more tragic & relatible about an ordinary family being caught up in an BOW incident than more story lines about those who create them. Its the tying it into the wider world during the final act that felt underwhelming for me, but I still see benefits in approaching this new era of RE with more self contained, personal stories, than corporate espionage and clones.

Comment

Working...
                              X