On Combining RE2 and RE3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Combining RE2 and RE3

How difficult would it be to make a super Mercenaries/Extreme Battle mod wherein you could choose among Leon, Claire, Chris (RE2 Platinum version), Ada, Jill, Carlos, Mikhail, and Nicholai, with Hunk and Tofu as unlockables; the entirety of the RE2 and RE3 maps would be open and connected (ideally with skippable doors). I'd imagine using RE3 (Sourcenext) as the base would yield the best results (borrowing content from the Sourcenext and Platinum versions of RE2), but I'm not sure. Perhaps Squeeze Bomb would be ideal...

How many of you would play such a game?

I also think it would be grand if Capcom were to remake RE2 and RE3 as different scenarios within the same game (adding a Carlos scenario for RE3, so you'd only play as Jill in her scenario). After all, Resident Evil: Nemesis was not originally meant to be RE3, but more of a side-story for RE2. If any games were to be combined, a RE2 and RE3 merger makes the most sense (that, and Outbreak Files 1 and 2, of course). In fact, if the series were to be totally rebooted, I'd say that RE2 and RE3 should be together as a multi-scenario RE2, with Code: Veronica's story as RE3 (I'm on the fence about what to do with RE0).

Meh. I don't really care much for the non canon mini games and stuff. Also, I hope the series is never rebooted, because it has too big a history. It's not what it needs. It just needs a good polishing-up, but rebooting everything in the horror genre for to milk it for mega bucks, is precisely what is killing the genre.

Comment

I wouldn't want a reboot either, only a remake. I'm just saying that I'd prefer Capcom to remake RE2 and RE3 together, with four scenarios: Claire (A), Leon (B), Jill, and Carlos. Claire B / Leon A could be something special and unlockable. I see both RE2 and RE3 as together forming a 'greater RE2', with Code Veronica as the real third chapter, disregarding 0, that is.

Comment

I am hoping we get something decent at TGS, besides a 20 second video. More like 10 seconds if you count the opening titles. It's been ages since we got any update, and the RE2 anniversary is next year. It seems plausible that they'd want to get it out there by late 2018.

As for a remake of Nemesis: Well, I didn't really like the semi-remake of Nemesis in The Umbrella Chronicles and while he was a force to be reckoned with in Operation Raccoon City, he seemed to just be in the game for fan service, and did not sound as good. These shooter games are awful anyway. They distract from what RE has always been about - horror, with minimal resources. What I like about games like Revelations 2 and Outbreak is that while you have a partner, some characters are weaker and stronger, so it balances out things. If everybody was a marine for example, it would make the game very much uninteresting.

Comment

If everybody was a marine for example, it would make the game very much uninteresting.
          This is the biggest gripe I have with using the original cast in newer games. Chris, Jill, Leon, etc have been through so much that it's hard to make the player fear for their safety. They've already faced world-threatening catastrophes and come out on the other side unharmed. Having an inexperienced newcomer like Ethan was fantastic for Resident Evil 7 and I hope to see more of that in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by leftshoe18 View Post
            This is the biggest gripe I have with using the original cast in newer games. Chris, Jill, Leon, etc have been through so much that it's hard to make the player fear for their safety. They've already faced world-threatening catastrophes and come out on the other side unharmed. Having an inexperienced newcomer like Ethan was fantastic for Resident Evil 7 and I hope to see more of that in the future.
            Sadly, as long as Capcom keeps obtaining a hard on over Leon, we'll keep seeing him in pretty much every CG film and game. RE6 is very action heavy. It might have been the horrible controls on the Xbox 360...but I only just recently finished that on the PS4. I mean, it ain't 100% shitty because some parts in RE6 do stand tall. But it definitely isn't really what one expects out of RE, or really survival horror in general.

Comment

Working...
            X