Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: It's here - RE2 Remake Official E3 Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Code_R View Post
    You're acting as if they had their hands tied and this was the best outcome, but this isn't a release that anyone forced them to a compromise - and there's more DLC coming down the line. Maybe they should enhance what we got in the main game before spending time messing with added extras already. Or at least patch out a handful of glaring issues that would achieve more of what they were aiming for i.e. one smooth overall narrative.
    I absolutely agree. It's really sad when RE6 did the intersecting campaigns better.
    My theory is they made two separate identical campaigns with their own full ending sequences and at some point they chopped off the extended ending to make a first/second scenario system.
    Using the already existing gate scene from the first scenario, they created some sort of cheaply made second scenario with the assets they already had and reinserted the extended ending despite the fact the dialogue in those endings are now referencing the WRONG gate scene. I feel like this method COULD have worked with a little more tweaking so it just makes it feel cheaply executed and that just makes me sad
    I'm holding on to a little hope for some sort of DLC fix in this respect, but I'm not holding my breath. At least the game is still incredibly fun to play, it just a little disappointing we couldn't have gotten that PERFECT package.

Quote Originally Posted by Kei_M View Post
    My theory is they made two separate identical campaigns with their own full ending sequences and at some point they chopped off the extended ending to make a first/second scenario system.
    Yes everything points to that. Capcom saying there's no A/B scenario a few months ago, and rumors of second run being added at the last minutes gives credence to your theory.

The game follows RE1's logic where each character has the same scenario, resulting in none being canon.

Nobody's going to make me believe they did that out of artistic vision. They probably had time/budget constraint and determined it was the best approach. They just made it even more nonsensical by adding those second run scenarios.

#17 Licker

i finished leon scenario in 10 hours, my god this game stresses you out like no ones business, the amount of times i died with the last two bosses bearing in mind i played this on hardcore level

due to time i will be playing normal mode with claire lol but man im loving this game. cant wait to play hunk scenario and the dlc chapters

guys wasnt there a scenario with ada for this game or is that scrapped?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
    I stand corrected, apologies sir. It's G3 that kills Annette in Claire A. *hangshead*

Still the original isn't as coherent as being made out to be here, yes the A and B scenarios work in a very consistent manner, and much more coherent than the remake, but the same criticisms can be applied to the original as well. Leon B is void of almost any interaction with side characters what so ever, yes him and Claire communicate but some of the conversations he has with her don't even take place in Claire A, making it void of worth noting.

The only side character Leon interacts with is Ben; where as Claire interacts with Kendo and Marvin, you really have to play the scenarios which aren't canon in order to get an experience that rectifies questions raised, such as Marvin's discussion with Leon, or him finding out about Umbrella or what is actually even happening. The idea that only 2 scenarios were going to be written as canon hadn't been decided at that point and for many years later, and just like RE1 at the time that didn't matter.

Now, today, that does matter, because it's written into the history of RE, so to have an A and B wouldn't really work, because you'd be going back to the old idea of alternate storylines and that's something that because of the time the series has taken to grow, can't happen. Its just unfortunate that things didn't work out in the remake. But the original absolutely isn't perfect, and while we can commend it for it's fantastic draft and plot, has just as many whoopsies we can criticise.

You're not fundamentally wrong, but the problem is that when we point out things that could have been much better in the remake, your argument basically is "b.. b. but it wasn't that good in RE2 to begin with!!". You're projecting the criticism on the original game for god knows what reason.

The fact RE2 wasn't "perfect" in that department (I don't care that much about these kind of small inconsistencies personally) is exactly why this remake makes me sad; it was a fantastic opportunity to focus on only two scenarios that would establish a definitive canon and satisfy everyone in the process. That's why it's such a wasted opportunity.

It also hurts the title replayability because of how repetitive the game becomes, and I'm very, very sensitive to such things. After playing Claire A / Leon B I've seen everything the game has to offer in terms of plot and gameplay going through the main story (outside of Marvin). It wasn't the case in the original game; there was still room for surprise because of the different events.

I would have preferred two shorter scenarios, but each of them unique and complementary. Basically: Shorter campaigns, but a richer experience and overall package.
    Last edited by Rick Hunter; 02-12-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
    I would have preferred two shorter scenarios, but each of them unique and complementary. Basically: Shorter campaigns, but a richer experience and overall package.
    But this is exactly what you've got, two separate campaigns, both with alternate routes and unique endings, but complimentary to eachother, with the exception of the labs argument. Why would you want campaigns shorter than the 2-3 hour campaigns we've already got? That would total maybe a minimum of 8 hours worth of gameplay with barely any replay value what so ever.

I keep returning to A and B from the original because this is something that simply can't exist without making stuff up entirely, one because canon is already established, and two because they decided in the beginning already not to do it, probably because of the former.

I'm responding to comments such that 2nd is just a tacked on variation of the 1st scenario, when in fact that's all it can be and to expect anything more is ignoring the previous two points entirely.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread Information