Are randomizer mods a thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are randomizer mods a thing?

There is a mod I watched in action on Youtube (recently released for RE1 Remake) that seems to randomize all item locations (with some pretty hilarious results). Personally, I've been searching for something like this for RE 1, 2, and 3 for quite a while, and while some mods do have this feature in some form or another, the person who made it always seems unable to stop there. They have to change things: different enemies, different characters, difficulty, etc. Imo, item and enemy randomizing are the perfect recipe for replayability in our beloved old-school RE titles. So, I have to ask: To anyone's knowledge, is there a mod out there that delivers either one or both of these features (leaving everything else alone) and if not, how difficult would it be to make one?
    It matters not to me which virus you wield. Yours is merely a pathetic attempt to master the powers of death. The power you seek is MINE, and with this insurmountable power, I offer a litany of oblivion even a virus cannot prevent..............and you cannot escape.

Originally posted by towerofpowerx View Post
    There is a mod I watched in action on Youtube (recently released for RE1 Remake) that seems to randomize all item locations (with some pretty hilarious results). Personally, I've been searching for something like this for RE 1, 2, and 3 for quite a while, and while some mods do have this feature in some form or another, the person who made it always seems unable to stop there. They have to change things: different enemies, different characters, difficulty, etc. Imo, item and enemy randomizing are the perfect recipe for replayability in our beloved old-school RE titles. So, I have to ask: To anyone's knowledge, is there a mod out there that delivers either one or both of these features (leaving everything else alone) and if not, how difficult would it be to make one?
    The main hurdle would be the item models, because each room is unique in that they only include the data for models that are required by script.

To make randomization a thing, one would have to extract all model data from every RDT, archive it into a single file, then create the functionality for the CD to load the model from disc when called for by scripting. This would undoubtedly cause a major slowdown between room transition.

The other option would be to disregard the 3d model representation altogether and simply use the Sce_kirakira_set() function (the visual "sparkle" effect for items) in its place.

It would entail a lot of work, but it is possible and certainly worth looking into someday.
    I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Working...
    X