Resident Evil 3.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
    You mean the Reaper bugs? No. We only saw a small selection of enemies, but they seem to be hallucinations. Living dolls, and the Hookman comming out of the painting. I suspect there would have also been some real enemies, such as zombies, wandering around as well...with the occasionally crossover (a zombie being a hallucination and turning into something nastier.)
    So the 'fog version' and 'hook-man version' are one in the same? Are we to assume all the paranormal stuff was just Leon hallucinating because he got infected with the T/Progenitor virus?

Comment

I doubt it the fog version is on a Airship.
      If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vixtro View Post
        So the 'fog version' and 'hook-man version' are one in the same? Are we to assume all the paranormal stuff was just Leon hallucinating because he got infected with the T/Progenitor virus?
        No, Kobayashi flat-out stated in Nintendo Power that they were different.
        Originally posted by Kobayashi
        We originally showed a video about Resident Evil 4 to get everyone excited in November 2002. That was the initial unveiling to the press in Japan. Afterward, we decided to totally scratch all of that work and start over. Then we had a new video at E3. And guess what? We scratched that as well. The third time we tried remaking it, we didn't show it to anybody. We had a promotional video, but we had to scratch that as well. So this new style is actually the fourth time we have tried recreating it because we just could not get it to the level that we wanted.
        Which puts another nail in the coffin of the "Resident Evil 3.5 In-Depth Analysis", as that one speculates that both are the same. How that poor guy got "flashback" as an "artsy translation" of "rōka" (passage/corridor), we will never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Prime Blue View Post

Which puts another nail in the coffin of the "Resident Evil 3.5 In-Depth Analysis", as that one speculates that both are the same. How that poor guy got "flashback" as an "artsy translation" of "rōka" (passage/corridor), we will never know.
          AIRSHIP FLASHBACK II ?!
          Now I know the Airship stage didn't have any flashbacks. How did that guy translate it to English?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
            At the time, RE4 was an innovative game that revamped the series and whether we like the gameplay or not, it was very successful, popular and a very good game. RE5 comes out years later, and very little has changed with the gameplay except quick selection of items and forced co-op. At this point, to me, it just feels clunky and dated. I preferred the weapon/item selection method in RE4 as well.
            This.
            Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

I have to agree with Alexia's post you quoted Det. Beauregard. I played RE4 and then RE5 the other day and the controls in 5 feel clunkier than 4 oddly enough.

As for the "Airship Flashback II", even though my Japanese is rusty... how the bloody hell did they translate it from that? I mean sure, if someone reads it oddly it could translate to summer path after the general translation of it being large/big path/passage/corridor, if it were to be more artsy and fitting then if an event were to happen then going by that Leon was hallucinating (just as in my view - commonly another general view of summer or hot weather is often linked to heat-induced hallucinates and/or mirages - which is something I'd take as artsy) would make much more sense than saying "Flashback"...
              sigpic
              Non-blurry Signature Version
              Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

Originally posted by Enetirnel View Post
                As for the "Airship Flashback II", even though my Japanese is rusty... how the bloody hell did they translate it from that? I mean sure, if someone reads it oddly it could translate to summer path after the general translation of it being large/big path/passage/corridor, if it were to be more artsy and fitting then if an event were to happen then going by that Leon was hallucinating (just as in my view - commonly another general view of summer or hot weather is often linked to heat-induced hallucinates and/or mirages - which is something I'd take as artsy) would make much more sense than saying "Flashback"...
                The problem with people is that they will hear what they want to hear.

He had it translated by "helpful bilingual friends", maybe he even told them "Hey, could that mean flashback? I think it's flashback." and they just said "Yeah, could be." It's just unfortunate that he posted his "analysis" on dozens of message boards, and people take it for granted now.

Comment

Guys, we didn't discuss about dialog choices in RE4. I wonder what were they look alike in cut-scenes. Is there any part of dialog choices still exist in debug menu of trial versions? did you check them?
                  Last edited by ashkan; 08-20-2010, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I've kinda always been under the impression that up until the radical change in direction for the final version, the GC era RE4 prototypes were all "mostly the same" (same basic concept/story, but with some elements being taken back to the drawing board over and over again, as the formula just didn't "click" or something - while the tech itself got to nurture itself and mature into what made the final version possible, leaving only minimal amounts of traces of its past within its public preview builds and retail version.)

Comment

• Originally posted by ashkan View Post
                      Guys, we didn't discuss about dialog choices in RE4. I wonder what were they look alike in cut-scenes. Is there any part of dialog choices still exist in debug menu of trial versions? did you check them?
                      As I said before, there may be remnants of Japanese text from the scrapped GameCube versions in earlier trials, but unless a text dump is made, we'll never know.

Comment

• Does anybody own a copy of the mag that featured that Diary of a madman article? Cube magazine issue..
                        Last edited by fffour; 08-20-2010, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prime Blue View Post
                          As I said before, there may be remnants of Japanese text from the scrapped GameCube versions in earlier trials, but unless a text dump is made, we'll never know.
                          There's plenty of Japanese gibberish to go around, which reminds me, I don't think anyone ever bothered to translate this one piece of garbage which I seem to recall was found cuddled up with the "Thank you for playing" and "Map" screens, but since I don't have any translators handy (now that I got reminded of it), anyone wanna have a crack at it?

(Don't get upset if this was also residing somewhere else in the final version. I haven't bothered looking. Also, random off topic, my screen is all fuzzy.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                            There's plenty of Japanese gibberish to go around, which reminds me, I don't think anyone ever bothered to translate this one piece of garbage which I seem to recall was found cuddled up with the "Thank you for playing" and "Map" screens, but since I don't have any translators handy (now that I got reminded of it), anyone wanna have a crack at it?

(Don't get upset if this was also residing somewhere else in the final version. I haven't bothered looking. Also, random off topic, my screen is all fuzzy.)
                            Looks to me like it says "* Images are under development" and/or "Images are amidst development currently."

Of course, I am probably incorrect on that considering I'm not very good with kanji but that's what I translated it as... ;
                            Last edited by Enetirnel; 08-21-2010, 08:45 AM.
                            sigpic
                            Non-blurry Signature Version
                            Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

• Originally posted by Carnivol View Post

"This is an in-development screen." It is the Japanese version of the notice you will often get in game demos or early previews in magazines ("This demo is from an in-production build and does not reflect the quality of the final product", blah, blah, blah).

What I was talking about was not "hard-encoded text" in images, though, but an actual text dump. I mean this here. Actual in-game text and subtitles. However, these should use some custom encoding format where there is a big image with all the characters of the font in it (kanji, kana, roman letters, numerals, special characters...) – each portion of the image with a character in it receives a code which is then used in-game to "call" the character and to display it on the screen. As far as I know, there already is a text editor/dumper for the PC version of RE4, but no one so far looked into the GameCube version, let alone the Japanese version.

Originally posted by fffour View Post
                              Does anybody own a copy of the mag that featured that Diary of a madman article? Cube magazine issue..
                              Here, but it's irrelevant because it's all speculation based on earlier materials. No one got a real inside scoop on the story back then, not even FAMITSU. All we know comes from direct developer statements after the 2002 announcement and after the versions were scrapped.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prime Blue View Post
                                "This is an in-development screen." It is the Japanese version of the notice you will often get in game demos or early previews in magazines ("This demo is from an in-production build and does not reflect the quality of the final product", blah, blah, blah).
                                Figured it'd be something like that. It was probably meant to be displayed (permanently) on the screen during the demo.

What I was talking about was not "hard-encoded text" in images, though, but an actual text dump. I mean this here. Actual in-game text and subtitles. However, these should use some custom encoding format where there is a big image with all the characters of the font in it (kanji, kana, roman letters, numerals, special characters...) – each portion of the image with a character in it receives a code which is then used in-game to "call" the character and to display it on the screen. As far as I know, there already is a text editor/dumper for the PC version of RE4, but no one so far looked into the GameCube version, let alone the Japanese version.
                                Know what you want, I haven't done a script dump for RE (never bothered to look for the text in RE, if it's already mapped out for the PC and the source/procedure is readily available, saving people a few minutes, bringing it over to the GC/Wii/PS2 version shouldn't be too hard. Only bitch will be building the kanji table (that always sucks).

Comment

Working...
                                X