Sega Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    I got my Dreamcast the night it came out in the UK in 99, however it randomly started resetting itself 4 years ago so I got a refurbished one last year.
    Oh really? That sucks did you try taking the top off and dusting it out? Thats a common problem with Dreamcast's. I have about 5-6 of them 4 of them don't work one does work bt freezes in certain games and my latest one is a brand new one I got off eBay a month ago never been opened

Comment

Y'know I've never opened it, never been one for opening things up and messing with them, but considering the abuse it took during its lifespan, I wouldn't be suprised if it was either dust or people whacking it when shenmue kept resetting during drunken playthroughs at uni with my mates.

Comment

Yea taking the top off shouldn't hurt anything probably just needs a good dust out. Though I never thought about doing that to my old one when I bought my new one lol

Comment

Likewise, the new one does the trick anyway and I keep it relatively clean.

Comment

I had two at some point, one of which was a Claire version. The current one doesn't load Shenmue I's first disc, which is a shame all things considered.

I bought 3 controllers and some VMU's before they disappeared in 2001, but I really should've gotten a 2nd unit just in case. SC1 is still the best home version of a "Soul" game (the best is SCIII arcade), and Shenmue 1 is still on the DC alone.

Originally posted by The Dude View Post

Street Fighter III Third Strike - Superior to the PS2 version, just get an arcade stick
            Nope, but everything prior to SFIII as far as 2D games go was superior on the DC. The PS2 version wipes the floor with the DC one as far as animation and image quality as well as gameplay balance go (the DC version was based off a revision).

I'd like to see Alpha 3 and 3rd Strike on the HD systems. Not overhauled, just upgraded sprite resolutions.

Comment

I never really liked 2D fighting games. Actually, I never really liked fighting games full stop.

Comment

Thats unfortunate, Dreamcast was one of the better consoles for getting 2d fighters.
                I still have to disagree about SFIII looking better on the PS2.

Comment

Not quite a debatable matter, particularly the gameplay bit. Both Xbox and PS2 (same code) versions are used in EVO and major tourneys whereas the arcade version was used before.

The PS2 version does have a soft filter option that can be turned off, so maybe that's the issue (I remember some complaining about that). Not to mention that it had the original OST as well as the remix.

Comment

Heh.
                    I used to own a Dreamcast. I got mine for my birthday in the year of 2000, and then played the hell out of it until it died five years later...

Hello by the way!

Comment

i got my d/c for 40 total (including shipping) off of ebay. and it was dirty! like all this dust on it, i scrubbed that bitch like there was no tomorrow. now it's white and clean and smells like lemon lol. but yeah you should go on ebay, there's some people who sell it dirt cheap!

i went to my gamestop and saw they had a rack for dreamcast games (so rare, because who sells those these days?) i saw shenmue there it didn't have a case or manual but it had the 3 disks and i got that for 7 dollars. the mem card was 3 dollars. and my bf at the time burned me shenmue passport and shenmue 2. but when we broke up i must've got really mad and broke shenmue 2 with it because i can't find disc 2 to it

ah well, i'm sure there's a way to burn shenmue 2 out again onto a disk again

Comment

Shenmue was great.

Never got round to Shenmue 2, you can probably guess why.
                        Finally playing 1.5. Woo-Hoo!!!

sigpic

Comment

i heard the x box version sucked too, so i'm just hunting for another copy of it. i remember last year there was a lot of hype for shenmue 3.. i guess they went broke again

Comment

There was an illfated attempt to turn Shenmue into a MMORPG in China which bombed. No official talk of any new Shenmue titles has been made in like 4 or so years now. The chances of a third game happening are slim to none at this stage, but if they announced it for a console I don't have it would be enough to make me buy that console.

My DC collection is quite large, but the quality games on the system were limited and most came out in the first six months or so of the systems life. By the time the second wave of decent titles came it was far too late.

Comment

Shenmue Online never bombed. It hasnt been released to bomb hah. Last update was in 2006 though so who knows whats going on, nothing official either way

Comment

Not bombed in the idea of it releasing and bombing, I'm meaning bombing as in the entire development of it went into hell and eventually fell to bits.

There has been updates on it's status of late, and that was the project was having constant problems and that the team in charge of it has been disbanded and the project is currently not being worked on by the company who did the most of the work.

Aside from that no indication has been made by Sega as to if they still intend on producing it since the last trailer.

Check out this thread for a post from someone who was working on it (complete with files from the actual project as evidence).

Comment

Working...
                                X