Outbreak servers shutting down Dec 31st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outbreak servers shutting down Dec 31st

A Capcom community manager has revealed that the Outbreak File 1 servers will be shutting down on December 31st. The reason is as follows.

After more than 3 years of online service, the external company providing server hosting for both Resident Evil: Outbreak and Monster Hunter has decided to exit the PlayStation 2 online business altogether, with no possibility of outsourcing either the service or the technology.

This means that online gameplay for both games will come to an end on December 31, 2007. Fortunately, the single-player campaigns in both games will be unaffected by this change and will continue to provide hours of entertainment on both PlayStation 2 and backwards-compatible PlayStation 3 hardware. Thank you for supporting Capcom’s online titles over the years!
    He goes on to say that attempts were made to make a deal with the provider to transfer the contract but the host will not have it, and is leaving the business entirely. You may recall that the File 2 servers were shut down earlier in the year, so this now marks the official end of the Resident Evil Online experience.

You can read more over at the official Capcom forums. Thanks to Big Stu for the heads up!
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 12-01-2007, 11:45 AM.

Like i've said on the thread you've linked to, i'm sure there are half a dozen people out there absolutely gutted at this news!

Comment

I was very pissed when they dropped Resident Evil Outbreak 2 servers in Europe, I did actually play that game a lot online. Pity that there will probably never be an old school style online Resi again.

Comment

I wish they would release the server code, so someone can hack it at least to enable LAN play and the like.
        Last edited by Dot50Cal; 12-01-2007, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Stu View Post
          Like i've said on the thread you've linked to, i'm sure there are half a dozen people out there absolutely gutted at this news!
          Then I must be one of them.

To be honest I've probably put in more hours playing Outbreak(we're talking online here) than I have with all the other games in the series combined. Every time you went online to play a scenario, it was never the same game twice, with different people, different skill levels, not knowing what their "motives" were , etc, etc. ..sure beat the same old routine style of play in the main games, going from pont A to point B, etc. ..Sure those games are great, but there's only so many times you can play through them doing the exact same thing over and over again, before it becomes *yawn*...

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
            I wish they would release the server code, so someone can hack it at least to enable LAN play and the like.
            Maybe in future versions of pcsx2. Can you play outbreak offline in two player or multi-tap mode? cos you could fake it like what the epsxe plugins netSock & PS4NET do.
            Last edited by kevstah2004; 12-01-2007, 01:55 PM.
            If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

i was sad to learn i coulnd't play file 2 online when i bought the game a couple of months ago, but now file 1, thats bad news. Does anyone know if you can play file 1 on ps3s, just that iv tried and they say i need my ps2 network etc.

Comment

Playing the End of the Road scenario from Outbreak 2 was one of the best experiences i've had with the series. There was just something very satisfying about playing that with 2 other people, all helping each other. Good times, Outbreak online, you will be missed ~sigh~

Comment

Mine was definitely "Decisions, decisions". How all 4 players had their own objectives to care of, first inside the University and then again once outside/sewers/subway to gather everything needed for Daylight.

That scenario could very easily of been setup for the 4 U.B.C.S. members replacing the civis, which would've been cool. Since what your after is basically the same, going for the T-Blood, throw in the Daylight as a bonus.

It was great doing that scenario, if it was all co-ordinated before you began. 1 person zaps Thanny for the T-Blood, 1 goes to B4 for the V-Poison, 2 go to B2 for the P-Base...one unlocks the door, the other goes through and grabs the capsule, done! You could do some excellent time runs with that.

Would've been great to of been able to change your characters all to U.B.C.S. ops for that.
                  Last edited by Evil_Rob; 12-01-2007, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I'm really hopeful that "Left4Dead" will be as good as this. It really seems to share some aspects of Outbreak and develops upon them. Can't wait for it to come out ;_;

Comment

The game just went from a 5.0 to a 6.5. lol

Im gonna get it for Christmas. I don't care for the online.

Comment

This is the kind of stuff that makes me so happy that atleast the darned Xbox has a system like LIVE. Atleast your *insert name of favorite game that is not Phantasy Star Online here* will always allow for online playing.

Also, I still wonder why no one were kind enough to "borrow/kidnap" me one of the laptops/setups they had when they first demoed Outbreak at trade-/gameshows and such.
                        Last edited by Carnivol; 12-02-2007, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post

Also, I still wonder why no one were kind enough to "borrow/kidnap" me one of the laptops/setups they had when they first demoed Outbreak at trade-/gameshows and such.

Like, OMG!! ..maybe, your not "elitist" enough!!??(though you think you are)

Ya well, welcome to real world, where we all have to work to get what we want.( or, for some others, "pay" or "steal" for it)

Comment

welcome to real world, where we all have to work to get what we want.
                            So that's what reality is like
                            Sure bites you where it hurts the most!
                            But I hear the money part of the work business like stuff thingy is supposed to be rather good!
                            But you now, I could be very real and then people could work for me, that'd be a nice reality!

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                              So that's what reality is like
                              Sure bites you where it hurts the most!
                              But I hear the money part of the work business like stuff thingy is supposed to be rather good!
                              But you now, I could be very real and then people could work for me, that'd be a nice reality!
                              With each and every post you make, you come across as a certain individual from reH.

Always attacking, the sarcastic remarks, even if unwarranted, you just have to be there. Ever just your own thoughts or views on things? ...or just telling people how it is. Nothing inbetween.

Hey, feel free to express yourself as a regular individual, without the elitist feeling in every post.

Comment

Working...
                              X