Outbreak servers shutting down Dec 31st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randomwab View Post
    I'm really hopeful that "Left4Dead" will be as good as this. It really seems to share some aspects of Outbreak and develops upon them. Can't wait for it to come out ;_;
    [SIZE="7"]YES![/SIZE]

Outbreak's closure seriously opens the door for L4D to run riot now, hadn't thought of that!

Comment

I'm really hopeful that "Left4Dead" will be as good as this. It really seems to share some aspects of Outbreak and develops upon them. Can't wait for it to come out ;_;
      Frankly, from what I've seen and read about it, Left4Dead is what Outbreak should have been. Of course I didn't like either of the Outbreak games, so what do I know?

Comment

And then I had to live up to my supposed name/rumor/whatever, I didn't know I had one, but I apparantly have, so now I'd hate to disappoint the fans! (Which will ofcourse flee in terror and fear after reading what I'm about to post... "Sir. Carni, how canst thou be so truethly cruel against thine fellow kind?")

Originally posted by Evil_Rob View Post
        With each and every post you make, you come across as a certain individual from reH.
        If you're referring to who I think you are, then I have to say I have a sick twisted fetishist type of respect for that guy.

Always attacking, the sarcastic remarks, even if unwarranted, you just have to be there.
        Scrolling around in this topic, the closest to an attack so far has been you. I don't really think there are any "attacks" in any of the other posts either.

Ever just your own thoughts or views on things? ...or just telling people how it is. Nothing inbetween.
        Like the Ganado would say:
        [SIZE="7"]¿Qué?[/SIZE] [size="1"]<- Hey, is that racist?[/size]

Hey, feel free to express yourself as a regular individual, without the elitist feeling in every post.
        Originally posted by some asshat at wikipedia.org
        Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite — a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern.
        But... but... the outstanding intellect... the wealth... the specialized training... experience... I...
        Last edited by Carnivol; 12-02-2007, 12:26 PM.

Comment

It's a shame really. Outbreak is famous for it's online, but now it's going, what will become of it?
          Anyway It doesn't really concern me, Outbreak in Europe never had online... When File 2 went down online was gone here.

Comment

I personally like the games for their old school gameplay. It's a shame to finally admit the RE Online experience is over, but hopefully Capcom learns from this and looks to Microsoft and their X-Box live service and uses that for perhaps a third installment of Outbreak so we can get the remainder of the levels planned but never executed... Maybe even port over File's 1 and 2 and embed acheivements in them. Since HDD's come almost standard with the Xbox 360 console (and are easy to come by, unlike the PS2's HDD which I got only because I'm a Final Fantasy whore ), its load times should be shorter, and since X-Box Live is an established and well known online service it should be easy to develop for it, unlike the proprietary software present Capcom was probably stuck with...

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicboy 101 View Post
              It's a shame really. Outbreak is famous for it's online, but now it's going, what will become of it?
              Anyway It doesn't really concern me, Outbreak in Europe never had online... When File 2 went down online was gone here.
              That stinks. You guys really do get screwed often.

I felt that Konami's pulling of MGO was to create anticipation for MGS4's online play, but that obviously cannot be applied to the Capcom Outbreak situation..

Or can it? If you want something to hold onto, let it be that. With the flops that Outbreak are considered to be in the gaming community, though, don't you guys agree that we probably won't see another one any time soon?
              If you read this, you wasted five seconds of your life.

Comment

I had believed that switching off the MGOnline play was a tad premature, and should have been held off until the end of the year or Jan. Especially considering shortly there after they pushed the release of MGO/MGS4 back a quarter.

Outbreak File #2 didn't get any length out of it. Aside from the fact the servers were on shorter than the original, the PAL version arrived months after everwhere else and had the shortest time. Yet I'm sure there are companies out there going "Why didn't the online work for us?" when they're pulling the servers offline before they even really get a start. Oh well.

Comment

Time to get with the times and start moving onto the PS3. Just wait for a File 3, I'm certain it'll come up in the near future. We will just have to wait and see. I know for certain, MGO closed down due to Metal Gear Solid 4 having online. You never know, perhaps they are doing this because they are planning on making a File 3 for PS3.

I was going to buy an 80 GB PS3, so I could also play File 1 online. But since they're closing down, I'll just stick with getting the cheaper 40 GB one. Quite frankly, I couldn't care any more less about any other PS2 game.

Anyone up for some Resistance: Fall of Man sometime?
                  Last edited by VirusPunk; 12-02-2007, 09:00 PM.

Comment

wut?

There won't be a File 3. File 2 bombed everywhere but Europe from what I know, the only reason it didn't bomb in Europe was because it had online unlike the first. Plus, File 1 and 2 were coming at a time when people were starting to get sick of the old school RE style which affected some reviews of the game.

I don't think that either MGO or Outbreak servers were shut down due to there next gen iterations. I think it's more a matter of "Cost to keep online servers running" X "Amount of people actually using the game online" which in both cases, was not enough for Capcom or Konami to keep them running. At least with MGO they could say that it was because of MPO and MGO on PS3.

And as awesome as Resistence is online, it's no Outbreak.

The only Online Zombie fix out there at the minute worth touching is the Half-Life mod BrainBread. It's been out there for a few years now and is more or less a last gen "Left4Dead". Most of the servers have, sadly, dried up over the past few months, but there is one server that is always running and always has people, which is useful as the server keeps your game stats saved, such as what level you were and what skill you have earned.

Comment

Yeah. Even if Capcom decided to take a chance and release an Outbreak 3 for the hell of it, would they learn their lesson and incorporate typing/voice chat?

Sadly, I could see it happening for one reason: they could pack it full of downloadable content and make a mint. Maybe I'm just being a jerk in saying that, but I don't know. Either way, I don't see it happening on PS3 any time soon since PS3 development is so shitty lately and nobody really seems to know what they're doing on it -- I would think Capcom would want to devote their resources elsewhere.
                      If you read this, you wasted five seconds of your life.

Comment

I think that PSN is the only chance we have of seeing further Outbreak scenarios, and I do think they would sell if Capcom put File 1/2 or some new scenarios out over PSN, but it's the chances of them developing them or porting them over. Plus, it's still gonna require them to have servers again so we'd be back to square one.

I think XBL is out of the question simply due to the size of it. It couldn't be an XBLA game so it would have to be DLC for a current game, and there are no Resident Evil games on the system, unless they throw it with Dead Rising.

Comment

Originally posted by VirusPunk View Post
                          You never know, perhaps they are doing this because they are planning on making a File 3 for PS3.
                          It says in the statement why they're closing it down...

We've tried to extend the contract, move it someplace else, etc. It's not happening. The hosting partner (who I guess remains nameless here) is just quitting the business entirely and doesn't want to mess around with the time/money involved in porting anything.
                          I really don't think there'll ever be an Outbreak 3.

Comment

I think XBL is out of the question simply due to the size of it. It couldn't be an XBLA game so it would have to be DLC for a current game, and there are no Resident Evil games on the system, unless they throw it with Dead Rising.
                            I wonder though, since original generation Xbox games will be available for download very soon and games like Tomb Raider Legends got the full version of Anniversary Edition as a huge ass 2 part DLC now... it wouldn't seem too unlikely that full games would be available as stand alone. After all, we've had some really huge demos up on the marketplace too and there are some storage device only titles already on the system too.

In a Perfect World, File 1-2 + a new File 3 would've been the sweetest gift to man on PSN and XBL. Same with a barebones MGO, really. And ahah, remember the matches on the PS2 we played? No wonder that thing was shut down so early. There were like 3 active game sessions (counting ours) or something, and the game hadn't even been out for long here then :/

PS2 just wasn't the system of choice for online gaming.

Comment

I don't think that either MGO or Outbreak servers were shut down due to there next gen iterations.
                              Outbreak obviously not. And clearly I actually believe Capcom was being truthful about the host servers and trying to find others, the original online Outbreak is still apparently well used even now. Clearly they were happy with the outcome of the original. But the result of File 2 clearly also shows that a third title is highly unlikely.

This is the case with MGO though. The press release which took MGS3S's Online portion offline stated they were taking it offline because the MGO Beta was taking place in Japan and the next generation of online Metal Gear was coming at the beginning of the next year... then they delayed MGS4, and therefor MGO, about three weeks later. LOL

Carn - I can't speak for the US, but the PAL use of the MGO experience was always crammed with players when I was on. But I do agree, either Capcom should work on a new pack for the PS3/X360 or a new game entirely. But they won't do it if they don't think it'll pay off. And history shows it it didn't.

Comment

Carn - I can't speak for the US, but the PAL use of the MGO experience was always crammed with players when I was on.
                                Me and randomwab played like a week after PAL release and there were like a couple of sessions/games that were full and then one (ours) that was mostly just me and randomwab (had some random people drop in and out every now and then)

Maybe we just played during the wrong time of the day, I mean, if memory serves me right, we played during the evening, which ofcourse could mean that the masses of 12 year olds with BBAs had gone to bed or off to do other stuff (homework?) or those with girlfriends studying medicine finally got their lovely ladies back home and figured that Snake vs Girlfriend is Girlfriend > Snake
                                Last edited by Carnivol; 12-03-2007, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X