Resident Evil 2D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 2D

Okay, as discussed in the BioHazard NES topic, we will start to make a 2D version of RE.

It's been decided we will use RPG Maker XP.

It's been decided that I'm the leader, and BLSR1 is my second-in command. We will also need:

2-4 coders;
    1-4 scripters;
    1-3 mappers;
    1-2 sprite artists.

It's been decided we will use the original music.

It's been decided we will remake the dialogue, with some swearing and adult words (still being discussed).

It's been decided we will start with the original RE, and work our way up from there.

Okay, feel free to post, and sign up for positions, and I'll update when I feel like it (which should be often )
    Last edited by Helegad; 12-17-2007, 07:34 AM. Reason: Update

Well It was my Idea to make the game so I guess I'm second in command.

I know what we can do and I know what to do if we use RPG maker.

I know nothing on gamemaker. But I will try.

Id love to use the original music.

The script should follow the same basic path. (EX: the same people die. they meet the same people) But we can use different dialogue. We can take complete liberty with the outbreak parts.

Heres the people we will need.
    Coders 2-4
    Scriptors 1-4
    Mappers 1-3
    sprite artists 1-2

I can Map.

Comment

Oh God.

Someone on the Biohaze forums also decided to try and make a game. They were more interested in sorting out the game's "cover" rather than figuring out how to actually make the game. Regardless, week after week would go by where he would update... And then he gave up to start on another game. The same process happened, until he just gave up in the idea altogther.

I'm not saying that's what will happen here, i just don't think you realise just how much hard work will have to go into it.

Also, by "adult-ish" i assume you mean swearing? No, that wouldn't spice up the game at all, that's a pretty immature thing to say really.

Comment

Swearing? Yes. I find that shooting zombies, and not saying 'fuck off' or something really saucy like that makes you sound like a wussy. That's my view, anyway.

Okay, BLSR1, you're second in command. Also, I meant dialogue. Sorry, I couldn't find the right word at the time. We will follow the same plot. Also, RPG Maker seems pretty easy to use, so we'll use it.

Comment

Personally, I feel there are three things that are, for the most part, not needed in an adult project. Using them is usually lack of creativity or a desire to appear cool. This is not, of course, always the case...sometimes they're needed for the character or plotline. But much of the time it's some slightly immature 30 something going, 'Hehe, I can put boobies in.'

1 - Swearing. It's not big, nor clever, and doesn't make a game with the undead any more adult. When something horrible happens, believe it or not, the first thing most people isn't go, 'Shit, fuck, bastard, cock!' Usually it's dumb silence. Or maybe screaming. Unless the character has some reason to swear (gang member or some such) then, usually, there isn't a reason for it. Much of the time, in a situation like this, unless you're talking to someone else you aren't going to be saying aything anyway. And, 'What the hell are they?' works just as well as 'WTF are they?'

2 - Sex. It's usually more than enough to simply hint it's happened, rather than showing it on screen. Yes, some teenage boys think it's absoloutely vital that breasts are part of a movie, but most of the time it's simply added to sell stuff and isn't important or nessecery. The only one I can think of where it was nessecery was Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy (depending on your country) because the aftermath was featured in every ending.

3 - Kids. Yes, it's a good scare to have children as zombie or dead or a monster. But it's cheap. If you need to do something like that then you're likely out of your depth. Sometimes the whole plot revolves around it, and it's usually a poor movie. But most of the time it's the added scare of a tiny innocent child becomming a monster. Like in Anderson's movie. Because dear lord knows Anderson can't do anything right ever.

Only 1 and 3 really apply to a fanmade RE project. But since RE doesn;t have much swearing (if any) beyond damn and hell, and the Mikami himself feels the same way about child monsters as I do, anything remotely faithful to the series isn't likely to feature either.

Comment

2 and 3 were not my intention to include. 1 was. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. Besides, RE is rated for adults, so why can't it be adult?

Comment

Becuase it's not really needed. There's no point in adding swearing to make a game adult. I don't recall anyone swearing heavily in any of the Resident Evil games. If the only reason to swear is because it's adult then, really, there isn't a reason to do it.

Most of the time something else will do. If so, why not use it? I honestly cannot think of a single character type bar the stereotypical gangster where swearing is really nessecery. Let's face it, an average human being faced with a zombie isn't gonna yell, 'Die, you mother fucker!' They're going to gasp, scream, etc while backing away in panic. Sure, they might shout, 'WTF are you!' But, equally, they could yell, 'What the hell are you?' Equally valid, equally likely, and one doesn't crank up the rating for the hell of it.

Plus, as fan project, shouldn't you follow the example of the games wherever possible?

These are, of course, just my opinions. I've always felt if a story is adult then it doesn't need swearing, or tits, to make it adult. If it's not adult then adding in swearing and tits is just a stupid waste of time designed to make your product more outrageous. Which, really, isn't gonna work as we've all heard it all before.

Comment

Have you ever read any Matthew Reilly books? He does use swearing, but only occasionally, just to give the impression that his book is made for adults.

Scarface: The World Is Yours went completely overboard with the swearing. Drive for 30 seconds on the sidewalk, and you're likely to encounter 100 examples of the word 'fuck' as people dive out of the way. I intend for the game to be like a Matthew Reilly book, not a Scarface game.

Comment

Never read that authour, no. And if you think you can do it in such a way that it doesn't look like you're swearing for swearing's sake...then certainly, go for it. Your project, your rules. I don't see the point myself but that's me.

Comment

No, it's not gonna be something like:

Jill: "Fuck, I fucking don't fucking know what fucking happened. Fuck!"
                    Chris: "Fuck, Barry! Where the fuck is fucking Barry!"

Etc... It'll be occasional, and just to add to the tension and spice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                      Have you ever read any Matthew Reilly books? He does use swearing, but only occasionally, just to give the impression that his book is made for adults.
                      That sounds like your own interepretation sorry. Authors are far better educated than come out and say: "I use swearing, so people know my books are for adults then!".

Swearing doesn't add tension, or spice.

Comment

*Sigh*, to me it does. It makes the player feel like 'They're swearing, so the situation must be pretty bad'.

Comment

That's about as redundant as "I'm angry with you on the internet so i'm going to use CAPITAL LETTERS!"

Comment

I hate people who do that, but anyway, don't you feel that scripts are a bit more lifelike if they have swearing?

Comment

No obviously not!

I think already the script is going to be lacking if the only thing you've decided is that it MUST have swearing. Surely you should write a script first, and then read back and think "Perhaps swearing would be appropriate here?", rather than "Oh we've got to have swearing so people know it's a game for adults".

As has been said, Resident Evil is an adult game, and i could probably count the swear words used in the whole series on one hand.

Resident Evil doesn't need swearing. Fact.

Comment

Working...
                              X