No announcement yet.

Biohazard 2 on the Playstation Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The character models in the PSX/DC/GC versions are all the same, it's just the power of the system and it's video processor that determine how crisp they are. The models are really the same. The DC Bio2 had 640*480 videos and looked way better than any other version to date.

Comment

The new (japanese) PC version of the game has 640*480 MPEG cut-scenes too...

Comment

Originally posted by FeurMensch View Post
        The character models in the PSX/DC/GC versions are all the same, it's just the power of the system and it's video processor that determine how crisp they are. The models are really the same. The DC Bio2 had 640*480 videos and looked way better than any other version to date.
        I'm pretty sure the clarity on the characters is due to the textures being natively higher resolution.

Also the DC Bio2 did not have 640x480 FMV's, the only version of RE2 to have FMV's of that resolution is the Sourcenext DVD release.

Compare that to the DC version. The DC version is more or less the 320x240 versions from the PS1 version of the game, only slightly bigger (480x224).
        Last edited by News Bot; 12-29-2007, 11:26 PM.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

I had to work last night, sleep all day today and got another 2 nights before having some time off (yep, working New Year's but the pay is good), so I wont have time to play through it till mid next week... I'm keen to find out if all the extras are included like Hunk, Tofu, Extreme Battle, extra costumes...
          I had another look and found when you press the ps button a series of options are displayed:
          Quit game
          *Switch disks - disk 1 (I can't change it)
          Assign slots (for save games)
          Controller settings
          Other settings
          Software manual (a 30 page, full color, pictured booklet to flick through)
          Reset game
          Turn off system
          Turn off controller
          I thought maybe Sony were sneaky and making me buy and download disk 2 separately but I went back to the store and when I went to the Bio2 page I just get a message (presumably telling me that I already have it) and there is no option to click on anything else. So, I figure I must have to play as Leon before getting the option for Claire. I can't believe it would be a 'Leon only' version. Leon, Ada, Claire and Sherry are all pictured in the manual.
          I also noticed on the Dino Crisis download there is a note about *Dual Shock3, version 2.00*. I can't remember if this was also on the Bio2 download info (now I only get 'that ? message' when I try looking).
          As I said, I'm no tech expert but I question this information. So you're saying that the ps3 simply isn't powerful enough or capable of running the character models at their highest quality? I doubt that... I think Rombie's and CiarenDevlin's explanations seem more plausible.
          Personally, I would have thought they were 'written in different languages' (my dumb ass way of meaning programed in different ways, to run on different systems).
          That dvd release sure looks to have the best FMVs.
          Rombie, the ps3/psp download is 747mb.

Comment

Originally posted by FeurMensch View Post
            I never said the character models were any different. The point here is that the PS version runs at a lower res with a lower spec processor which is then scaled to a higher res. This will make the models look slightly odd compared to the DC or GC versions which run 640X480 and have a system thats going to display the respective models better (as you correctly noted).

Comment

I have a Japanese PS3 & can play my import Jap version of games, it looks a little better due to s-video, you can up-scale it if you like, but the games seem to look better if you don't? I was looking at this download today on the Japanese network, but I wasn't certain if I wanted to download it, due to probably been the same version?
              Last edited by chris26; 12-30-2007, 08:21 AM.

Comment

S-Video eww if you can't afford a component cable or hmdi I'd at least try and find a scart cable I couldn't stand all them washed out colours.
                If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

The scarts no good for the PS3, the s-video looks better on 100hz widescreen tv. It all about getting the colours right & it's alot better than scart?
                  Last edited by chris26; 01-03-2008, 07:59 AM.

Comment

What better way to kick off 2008 than by replaying a 10 year old videogame? (0fficialy 10 years on the 21st of this month, according to my RE calendar)
                    Last night and today I played through the 1st and 2nd scenarios with Leon and Claire respectively.
                    I worked out that you CAN change disks, it's an option when you reset the game using the ps menu
                    Another thing is that apart from the intro and a few FMV's, you can't skip cut scenes. I enjoyed watching them but at the same time I knew that the clock was ticking away, so my times suffered. Maybe Capcom takes this into account though, because even though I took just over 3 hours on each scenario, I still got an 'S' rank for both (saving just 1 time each)...
                    I got the message to kill Brad to get the special key, so the extra outfits are included and also unlocked Hunk '4th Survivor'. However at the same point on my regular Bio2 ps1 version (dual shock), I also unlocked 'Extreme Battle', so I'm thinking that it's probably not included. Unless it's making me play through it again to get it (can't confirm this yet).
                    Bio2 is still an awesome game and I really enjoyed it again

Comment

It's good to see a big game on PSN, here's hoping for more. How long till we get some PS2 games?

Comment

I believe Extreme Battle was only added in rereleases of Bio2, like the Greatest Hits and Dual Shock versions. I know that in Europe, it was added into the platinum release with no announcment about it.

Comment

I doubt PS2 games will ever hit the PSN. Now that one of the major SKU's has dropped backwards compatibility entirely. Though I guess theres hope that the Sony engineers can get Software BC working 100%, even on models without any PS2 hardware its unlikely at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
                            Another thing is that apart from the intro and a few FMV's, you can't skip cut scenes. I enjoyed watching them but at the same time I knew that the clock was ticking away, so my times suffered.
                            I thought the only version of RE2/Bio2 with skipable cutscenes was the Gamecube?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                              I doubt PS2 games will ever hit the PSN. Now that one of the major SKU's has dropped backwards compatibility entirely. Though I guess theres hope that the Sony engineers can get Software BC working 100%, even on models without any PS2 hardware its unlikely at this point.
                              If it is, US only. When they switched the European consoles to 40GB only with no PS2 backwards comp, they basically made the announcement that it wasn't worth their time, cost, and effort to get any more updates done. If we're lucky they'll finish one final one up because I would assume they were working on it up until the SKU change, but I highly doubt it.

I think the more likely story is once the cost of the PS2 comes back down in price, they'll re-add in the original chipsets again without re-lowering the price (if that makes sense). So like at say, maybe, when it reaches $249-199US - even, they can make it cheaper again, they'll keep the price in that range but make the 60GB model with the chips the the standard SKU again.

The only reason SCEE went ahead and dropped all SKU's but the 40GB model was because when Microsoft announced multiple SKU's, they laughed and basically said "Splitting the consumers, confusing the market, hah - you suck" and the SCEJ announced weeks later their plans for the same. Clearly in the end SCEE won out and told them the best idea for the PAL markets was one unit only... just so happened to be the crippled 40GB model. As soon as they announced that I went straight out and brought a 60GB model before they disappeared, which they did so in a number of days. Still being a PAL one, we've never had anything but software emulation for PS2, so roughly only 60% of my PS2 games work at all, and thats not including the fact a large chunk have bugs.
                              Last edited by Rombie; 01-04-2008, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Heh, i'm on the same page as you concerning the PS3, Rombie.

I just noticed that the JPN PSN also has DINO CRISIS. One of my favourite games...ever.

Damnit, why did they just completely shaft the US and EU PSN's? ;_;
                                PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Working...
                                X