Resident Evil series sales update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil series sales update

Capcom recently posted sales numbers for all of their top selling franchises. The Resident Evil franchise has consistently been a big seller for Capcom, and its currently their highest selling franchise with a total of 34.5 million units sold.

Individually, Resident Evil 2 is currently the highest selling title in the series with almost 5 million units sold, Resident Evil 4 Wii has also recently passed the 1 million units sold mark and now sits at 1.15 million units sold. For comparison's sake here's how the three main RE4 SKU's have sold.

PS2 version : 2 million units.
    Cube version : 1.6 million units.
    Wii version : 1.15 million units.

Source : Capcom Million sellers.

Wow, I can't believe the Gamecube number is so low compared to the Wii one. I expected it to be a lot more than that. I also find it interesting that File 2 never broke the million mark despite Outbreak 1 doing so. I guess that phrase "Fool me once.." tends to work in practice ;)

Comment

The total number isn't even counting all the merchandise and shares of the movie profits.

RE has to be among one of the biggest franchises ever.
      Last edited by BLSR1; 02-16-2008, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
        I also find it interesting that File 2 never broke the million mark despite Outbreak 1 doing so. I guess that phrase "Fool me once.." tends to work in practice ;)
        File #2 never got good results because it was basically an expansion pack to File #1, bad sales in USA and Japan, Europe got a bit more, but that's because of the added Online mode for PAL. Plus, Outbreak File #1 was new to it's time with there being multiple characters, it got good sales, File #2 was the same, it got less sales, even in Europe it got lower sales because it was basically the same thing, just new maps and online.
        So yeah, story cleared though you all already probably knew!

Comment

well i got r.e 4 on the cube and wii so i didn't make a major diffrence to that figure lol

Comment

Everytime Capcom updates this list it always amazes me about how the title have sold... like how the PS2 version of CVX has outsold the DC edition by very little considering the number of PS2's to DC's, or the fact the Dual Shock Ver. of Resident Evil outsold the standard Directors Cut.

Comment

umbrella chronicles should have probably reached the million mark by now too ...
              like how the PS2 version of CVX has outsold the DC edition by very little considering the number of PS2's to DC's
              true, but like the ps2 version of RE4 you have to consider the time as well, both CV and RE4 for the ps2 came out 1 year later from their original consoles, a large time span. The margin would've been much much bigger had the ps2 version been the first one to come out (or even launched at the same time).

not to mention both the game's ps2 versions are technically inferior to their original counterparts.
              Last edited by A-J; 02-17-2008, 06:42 AM.

Comment

UC is at 300,000 now. Its on its way, but its slow going.

Comment

It's still counted "new-ish", and it is different from RE4 which repels the people who played RE4 and won't play the others because of the "graphics" or because it doesn't play like RE4.
                  Anyway, I'm not very surprised at it's number, but it should pick up, eventually..

Comment

UC is at 300,000 now. Its on its way, but its slow going.
                    but didn't capcom say 900,000 ?

Comment

Not exactly the worlds most factual source of information, but wikipedia did quote the figure at 900,000 too.

Comment

well yeah, its on the main page, capcom touted the game's sales as 900,000 .. maybe dot is just counting the US numbers ?

Comment

Whoops, you guys are right, I was looking at US numbers. Seems like the latest figures indicate 950,000.
                          Last edited by Dot50Cal; 02-17-2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by A-J View Post
                            well yeah, its on the main page, capcom touted the game's sales as 900,000 ..
                            yeah, i think i read that number somewhere too
                            Last edited by RE-Hiro; 02-17-2008, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Neeaar one million then...Well done Capcom..

Comment

Working...
                              X