X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent Hill 2 on 360 Backwards Compatibility

For discussion of the Silent Hill 2 360 BC feature

Good job.. I guess?
    But I don't own a Xbox 360, the PC port worked without problems for me.

Comment

You couldn't even call that half baked...
      I didn't watch the video because I havent finished the game (Started playing just before I left for Japan, so it'll be another year before I play it again) but in all those screens... My goodness.
      I'm very curious how Microsoft will respond (assuming they choose to).
      Last edited by TheSelfishGene; 02-24-2008, 08:47 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

This is the biggest failure I have seen all year.
        Microsoft has ruined one of the best games ever.

Good Job Dot on finding how to fix that one problem.
        Last edited by BLSR1; 02-24-2008, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Damn that's messed...

Fun fact: Clicking on the picture above the download option brings out a bunch of RE4 pictures >_>

Comment

Haha whoops

Comment

Excellent article. I have to say, that's incredibly disappointing that Microsoft gave this the green light. Silent Hill 2 truly is a masterpiece of a game that, like you said, people should experience with as little prior knowledge as possible. I'm sure there are many people that will try to play the game on their 360 and discover just how poor the emulation is.

I agree that Silent Hill 2 is a game that should be on the emulated list as soon as possible, but not at the expense of the game's graphics.

Even after all this time, I have to say, Silent Hill 2 has survived the test of time well. In fact, games like Silent Hill 2 and the original Devil May Cry are still amazing-looking PS2 games! Sadly, this also makes me realize that I never played Maria's mini-scenario that was added to the X-Box version. Not a big deal for me, considering how awesome the main game is.

Comment

As Umon said in the original topic, I also concur that the PS2 GH edition would still be the more definitive version due to the issues in the X-Box edition. That said, the game isn't perfect on PS3 Emu BC either, but it's still far better than this.

Comment

On another note, the PAL version is worse. The disc will load, you can hear the game running, and you can even push A until you get into the game, but at no point do you have visuals. You can't even bring up the dashboard. Strange, as it is on the PAL BC list.

I recall that the original release of Silent Hill 2 was not on the BC list for PAL PS3s, although Silent Hill 2 Directors Cut was. I'll need to try the standard release, but I played 5 minutes of the Directors Cut last night and only had one issue. James' left leg (from the knee down) would vanish for around a second every now and then. In the scene when he walks out of the bathroom, the leg vanished and returned as he walked over to the ledge. Then, when I took control of him, if I were to stay still, it would vanish, return, vanish and then return as James went into an idle animation. Nothing to big, but still slightly annoying.

Ohh, and with muted music on the 360, i'd consider the game completely unplayable. Honestly.
                  Last edited by randomwab; 02-25-2008, 03:29 AM.

Comment

i saw your post on gaf on this as well dot lol

Comment

Oh My Jesus...
                      I have Silent Hill 2 for PS2, and I just recently completed it, and boy did I crap myself nearly every 5 minutes, but this...turns me away, I was going to get the PAL Silent Hill 2 Inner Fears, mainly for the Ending and Maria, and I only have an Xbox 360, not an Xbox.
                      Don't Microsoft check their bloody compatibility!?
                      Seriously, If I was playing this, the constant texture errors would compel me to go mad.

Comment

Originally posted by randomwab View Post

I recall that the original release of Silent Hill 2 was not on the BC list for PAL PS3s, although Silent Hill 2 Directors Cut was. I'll need to try the standard release, but I played 5 minutes of the Directors Cut last night and only had one issue. James' left leg (from the knee down) would vanish for around a second every now and then. In the scene when he walks out of the bathroom, the leg vanished and returned as he walked over to the ledge. Then, when I took control of him, if I were to stay still, it would vanish, return, vanish and then return as James went into an idle animation. Nothing to big, but still slightly annoying.
                        They're both on the list, with 2 stars out of three.

SLES-50382 SILENT HILL 2 - **
                        SLES-51156 SILENT HILL 2 - DIRECTOR'S CUT - **

Aside from the glitchy leg and occasional other textures doing the same thing, I haven't seen any other problems with either title. But I have only played through to the end of the apartments on both.

Comment

I need to replay Silent Hill 2. I'd rather play it on PC, but I might just go through it on PS2 if only to see if there are any other issues.

I'm not too sure about Silent Hill 3, I know it's playable but I have only played up until the end of the shopping center on PS3 and I saw no glitches. I played a large amount of Silent Hill 4 on the PS3 before Christmas and the only thing I saw were slight texture glitches.

Comment

I hadn't gotten around to trying SH3 (or many of my other games for that matter) but it wasn't on the PAL BC list at all. Sometimes that means the game won't work at all other times it just hasn't been tested so they didn't add it to the list and the outcome is unknown. Sometimes I wish Sony just hadn't dropped the EE set from the PAL 60GB consoles.
                            Last edited by Rombie; 02-26-2008, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Why not just play them all on ps2?
                              I mean, who dosn't own a ps2?
                              There are probably undiscovered tribes in the jungles of the Amazon who all own ps2s...
                              Most tvs, especially newer models, have several inputs. There's no reason not to hang on to multiple consoles and switch over to play older games.

Comment

Working...
                              X