No announcement yet.

to 360 owners:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like even Falcon's are getting RROD now. This whole situation is a massive cluster fuck. As soon as this one RROD's (hopefully while playing GTA4!1) I'm just selling the replacement I get unless its got the new chipset. Maybe down the road I'll buy a new one, but its just been too much.

Comment

Jesus, I tell my sister all this, yet she still wants one, and says it's "more powerful and cool looking than a PS3, plus it's cheaper!". I'm trying to persuade her to go halfs with me on a PS3, but to no avail. Not that I'm giving up though

EDIT: Yay! Now I'm a Neptune!
      Last edited by Helegad; 04-13-2008, 12:49 AM.

Comment

PS3 is more reliable and more powerful than a 360 in very way, just PS3 has cough*shit*cough games ATM.
        Last edited by FeurMensch; 04-13-2008, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Not enough games is more like it, since the vast majority of crappy titles are multiplatform (sans Lair of course). And the vast majority of worthy ones are typically multiplatform, so that leaves a handful of exclusives that are worth picking up the system for right now.

Personally, the same goes for both systems since my must-have exclusive list is small for both (right now, it's MGS4 and NGII for their respective systems).

Comment

I hear Lair is getting an analog control patch. Do you think it'd be worth it to pick it up on a cheap with that? I mean are the controls the only thing that make the title that poor?

Comment

I haven't played Lair but I heard the controls are what made the game suck....

Comment

Lol, I turned the topic around to PS3/Lair chat.

I would only ever get a next-gen console ATM because of GTAIV coming out soon. If I had to get one, it would be a PS3, because the X-Box 360 is getting a downgraded version apparently.

Comment

No ones confirmed that.

Also, just on the GTA4 subject, 360 version is getting exclusive downloadable content.

Comment

True... but the game would have to be downgraded in some way, shape or form. The PS3's Blu-Ray disc is 28GB. The X-Box 360's disc is 9GB. Big difference...

Comment

True enough, however until its confirmed, im not really going to worry to much.

Comment

You know, I still haven't seen the fourth trailer. I hate dialup.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                          I hear Lair is getting an analog control patch. Do you think it'd be worth it to pick it up on a cheap with that? I mean are the controls the only thing that make the title that poor?

Lair just got said patch Its up in the brand-new PSStore

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                            True... but the game would have to be downgraded in some way, shape or form. The PS3's Blu-Ray disc is 28GB. The X-Box 360's disc is 9GB. Big difference...
                            In what way would it be downgraded?
                            With some music and the majority of the duplicated data removed, Grand Theft Auto 3 for PS2 fits on a CD.

So far, multi-platform games haven't really used the Blu-Ray space for anything at all (with the exception of those filling it with either junk data or duplicate data). I'd hardly say any games at all on the PS3 have utilized the disc space for anything useful beyond just duplicate data to make up for the current shortcomings of the format. And if a game were to suddenly break that "trend" and still use all the space, it probably still would just be doing something that could be done perfectly fine on 1/3 of the space.

Dot50Cal recently had a tiny shock moment when he suddenly realized that the 512Mbits of Resident Evil 2 for the N64 takes up means it's only 64MB (and not 512MB). Sure, that thing did get some downgrades, but was also done nearly two years after initial release. Trimming the overall size down from about 1,2gb to 64mb. That's 1/20 of the game's original size.

Originally posted by Borman View Post
                            Lair just got said patch Its up in the brand-new PSStore
                            I actually want to give Lair a go, but I somewhat expect it to be Rogue Squadron with a dragon-fantasy setting instead of carrying a Star Wars license. I dunno why, but in overall I think it's one of the games that might actually play well with the SIXAXIS controls. The game is at least on my purchase list IF a PS3 finds it way into my home, and I'd surely be giving it a go with the tilting before I even consider going analog.
                            Last edited by Carnivol; 04-15-2008, 04:11 AM. Reason: Lair

Comment

I'd hardly say any games at all on the PS3 have utilized the disc space for anything useful beyond just duplicate data to make up for the current shortcomings of the format.
                              Right. LPCM audio up to 7.1 for one thing (with DTS thrown in too), and less inclination to cut or re-do assets to fit the disc. The whole replication issue got blown out of proportion (which Bethesda in particular said that they did the same on the 360 as well). Developers use that method even with CLV drives like DVD's. Some developers use the same loading algorithm for the CLV drive with BD and they end up replicating more data to compensate. It doesn't work well with the CAV drive, and you've got a messy situation like both of Capcom's PS3 games so far.

Clearly games like Resistance 2 and MGS4 are taking advantage of the space properly (I guess I'll be hearing how Kojima is full of shit now). Even NGS, a revision of an Xbox game used the space to add music that was cut from the original.

That's strictly for exclusive games, not multiplatform games that don't use the space at all like GTA4. Going with the lowest common denominator basically, much like the RAM issue on the PS3. We've seen the space isse restrict the scope of downloadable games on XBL vs the PSN (T5DR compressed took about 800MB). MS obliged and increased the cap for Capcom's games twice so far.

Compression algorithms improve as days go by, but extra space is always welcome and never useless. It is for multiplatform games however.
                              Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 04-15-2008, 05:54 PM.

Comment

True... Most of the GTA games' space was occupied by audio anyway. I know for a fact that the PC install of San Andreas (w/ radio stations) is a 4.7GB portion. Only 1GB of that is for the data. The other 3.7 is for audio.

Comment

Working...
                                X