Demo Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demo Impressions

I just got done playing through the demo once and I have noticed a few differences between this and the gamecube version.

I first noticed that Capcom has fixed the small error in the begining scene where the car is started while still running. A minor error but its good to see they caught it this time around.

The cutscenes contain the same quality sound as the Gamecube original however certain sounds during gameplay, such as breaking glass and others are downsampled. While you might not think this is a big deal they really stand out between other sounds which are high quality. For instance, I broke the glass in the "Shotgun House" to get to the grenade. The breaking glass sound is pretty awful sounding compared to the sound that is played when you pick up an item (in this case the grenade). Such desparity between the two further put you out of the game.

The in-village music that is played while you are being attacked is also downsampled. This really makes the whole experience un-enjoyable. Its really quite puzzling why Capcom decided on this, perhaps the PS2 couldnt "stream" all high quality sounds on the fly?

It also appears that during gameplay, different models are used for the enemies as opposed to the ones used during cutscenes. While this isnt too much of an issue I can still notice that some of the enemies in gameplay have low polygons, particularly the first villager you meet, whose head looks very odd up close.

As you can see below, the first two screenshots are from Gameplay, while the last one is from a Cutscene. It should be noted however that both are being run in "Real Time" on the PS2.

Textures as well have been noticably downgraded and particularly on the character models however this only appears to be the case during gameplay scenes. During cutscenes the models are replaced with what looks to be the same high poly versions as the Gamecube.

Loading times arent too bad in this, In fact they seem to be almost a mirror image of the Gamecube's albeit with a very slightly longer delay.

The controls will take some getting used to however. When you watch the video keep that in mind as I struggle to aim. However the aiming feels tight which is a good thing. Like I said, it just takes some getting used to.

Frames Per Second seemed very constant with no slow downs at all. Capcom did a good job in this area but the cost is quite noticable on character models.

Overall the demo leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The game was not very enjoyable mainly due to the sound issues. Seeing as its release date is right around the corner I dont see how this issue could be fixed without re-encoding a lot of sound files.

Ill be uploading some screenshots soon and a video to follow.
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 10-09-2005, 11:20 AM.

Damn, I don't like the sound of this. Hopefully all of these issues will be resolved before the game is released. Though I don't see that happening.

I shall hold further judgement until I see the video. Thanks for the update.

Comment

i thought people said the demo was from an old build of the game.

Comment

I really doubt that seeing as the final version of the game is less than 2 weeks away. Its all speculation though, pictures incoming now!

Comment

You have to keep in mind how much work had to be done to "port" this. I say "port" like that because it was basically a complete remake of the game. The GameCube version of Leon pushes approximately 10,000 polygons, while the PlayStation 2 can not handle a model that has more than 5,000 polygons. The character model of Snake in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater uses only 4,000 polygons, and that that was roughly the same amount of polygons that one villager in RE4 is made up of. The game practically had to be redesigned from the ground up, so I wouldn’t be surprised if you had to live with a few downsampled sound issues to retain a similar visual quality.

Comment

Damn those villagers look retarded up close.

Oh well, I'll only be buying it for Separate Ways >_>

Comment

Looks really good

Comment

Working...
              X