Captivate 2008 Embargo Ends - Screenshots, Trailer, Previews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captivate 2008 Embargo Ends - Screenshots, Trailer, Previews

The embargo that was placed on the Captivate 2008 event has expired and with it comes many Resident Evil 5 previews from various game sites. I've compiled a list of these which you can see below. A summary of the information contained in them will be posted as soon as I can digest all the information. The game was showcased to journalists as they watched a quick play through of an area in the game running on the Xbox 360.

From Gamespot:
    • He noted RE5 is set in Africa and follows Chris Redfield on an adventure that will lead him to discover the origins of the progenitor virus seen in RE: Code Veronica.
    • At the end of the trailer Takeuchi noted that the game is roughly 60% complete and should wind up being over 20 hours or so.
    • A massive warhammer wielding [foe] punched a whole through wall, showing off the new destructible environments and allowing more enemies in.
    • The persistent bunch weather Chris' throwing grenades and weapons fire to keep on coming at him.
    • Takechi didn't offer too much more insight into the game, noting only that more would be revealed at E3.

From 1UP:
    • [Africa] also happens to be where the progenitor virus, from which all of Umbrella's research subsequently sprung, was originally found...To further support that idea, note that the villagers can be seen transforming their heads into tentacles to attack and consume other people. Alexia Ashford in Code Veronica exhibited similar abilities resulting from the injection of the Veronica variant of the progenitor virus, and she retained her intelligence, much as the villagers in Resident Evil 5 appear to still be coherent to some degree.

From EuroGamer:
    • "This environment is right at the start of the game," Takeuchi explains as Kawata plays, and is "about four times the size of the village at the start of Resident Evil 4"
    • You can now switch weapons in real-time, and we get to see a pistol, shotgun and machinegun, while grenades will include explosive and incendiary - the former sends zombies flying in a geyser of dirt. We're also told there will only be one melee weapon - the knife.
    • A key point for Resident Evil's long-term fans, given its PlayStation heritage, is how the PS3 build is doing, and Takeuchi says it's "proceeding smoothly". Asked why we're only being shown 360, he says that the main development platform is the PC and when Capcom asked him to provide a console-based demonstration for Captivate 08 it was simply quicker to port the current build to 360 because of its similarity to the PC, and that we shouldn't read too much into it.

From GameTrailers:
    • Another character will be introduced, players will be surprised about the graphics used on the character and may wonder who it is (Probably referring to Sherry).
    • A new trailer will be shown at E3 that shows this character.
    • More details about the female agent will be explained at E3.
    • No dodge mechanic.
    • The lantern cave scene is a specific part in the game where you must use the light or you will not pass it.
    • It will solve the mystery of the Progenitor virus that's plagued the series thus far.
    • Different virus than in RE4.
    • Location in Africa is fictional, the team did go to Africa for research though.
    • Parasite is mentioned as infecting hosts and "changing them".
    • The stage is very early on in the game.
    • Over 20 weapons, over 20 hours gameplay.
    • Real-Time weapon change may not be in the final game.
    • Green herbs will return.
    • Merchant is popular, lots of people like him but he cannot say if he will be in the game this time, but of course a weapons upgrade system will be in the game.
    • Enemy carrying the large axe (not in the trailer) will be an important enemy who appears several times in the game (Nemesis?)
    • Quick time events during cutscenes will return.
    • Out before March 31st 2009

So it seems that Code: Veronica is mentioned quite a bit here and it wasn't just an error on Gamespots part (thought it certainly was in their wording). The game sounds much further along than I thought, so I don't think its too much of a stretch to see a demo hitting relatively soon. Hopefully E3 Finally, GameTrailers has an interview video with Takeuchi.

Below are some new screenshots mixed in with some of the ones we've been seeing eek out over the week. Number 13 and up are very high resolution shots, so be aware of that.

1UP
    Gamespot
    EuroGamer
    IGN
    GameTrailers Takeuchi Interview
    GameTrailers Video Summary
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 06-03-2008, 08:53 AM.

Well thank you Capcom. More info, and this info sounds good to me. And damn this dude wielded hammer not axe, I was wrong. Though I actually cant compare the progenitor virus with the shit that came from vilagers. Well lets wait for more detailed info.
    "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Trailer is up for DL, getting it now. I'll have a high quality encode out soon. 5.1 audio even ;D

Screens as well.

Comment

Very interesting, glad to see CV mentioned.

Comment

Dot, you the MAN! Cant wait!
          P.S. corect me if I'am wrong, but were exactly in Code Veronica was Progenitor virus? Maybe they made a mistake, maybe they ment T-veronica virus.
          P.P.S. You know what is funny, I was the one who said that In RE5 you can swich between weapons in real time right after the previous trailer and nobody belived me. Now it is confirmed. It is good to be right!
          Last edited by Nomad9026; 06-03-2008, 07:54 AM.
          "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

As far as I know Progenitor is not mentioned in Code: Veronica, at least by name. So maybe a little re-writing of history? The journalists could have messed up, because Gamespot is the only one that mentions it was the Progenitor while 1UP says it was only used as a base virus which the T-Veronica was created off of.

Comment

ATM it's looking like a parasite's got the villagers, and not a virus... Unless there are two strains of enemies? (that's speculation on my part. Not anything I read anywhere).
              sigpic

Comment

Screenshots added ;)

PC being lead platform is very encouraging And I guess it lays any rest to doubt that the game will be coming to PC eventually.
                Last edited by Dot50Cal; 06-03-2008, 08:07 AM.

Comment

The trailer you have mentioned, is it the video of the demo? Or is it useless even to wait for it?

Comment

Just the same trailer we've seen, but much higher quality.

Comment

You guys should definitely check out the Takeuchi interview, has some nice info.

Comment

Alexia mentioned the Mother Virus in CV, and wrote that she combined it with an ancient virus found in a queen ant, to obtain the T-Veronica virus. Thing is, now the Mother Virus is called Progenitor since Zero ; they are one and the same. So, the Progenitor Virus was indeed first mentioned in CV.

Where is my extended trailer ?

Comment

Its not extended ;( Anyway, I added a summary of the Game Trailers interview. I'll have the trailer up later today, I need to get to sleep Its not that urgent to get this up since its been seen for a few days now.
                          Last edited by Dot50Cal; 06-03-2008, 08:59 AM.

Comment

This actually sounds a lot better than RE4, and hopefully the good parts of the rumoured gameplay will be confirmed. I guess even co-op wouldn't be bad if it's done right.

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post

PC being lead platform is very encouraging And I guess it lays any rest to doubt that the game will be coming to PC eventually.
                            That's the case with all their projects. I somehow dismissed it when a Japanese analyst provided the details of their current cycle in 2006, and then every producer confirmed it. Takeuchi's remark is the same as Kobayashi's (moving the code to the PS3 took longer with DMC4).

Comment

Lost Planet, DMC4 and even Street Fighter IV was or will be release on PC, so why not RE5 ;).

BTW. On the recent trailer we can catch a glimpse of an enemy with deformed head (the one that was observing Chris from above, and then push a pillar on him). You can also see, that the chainsaw man have deformed face too - could this be the same guy?
                              Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 06-03-2008, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X