Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident evil 2 1. 5

Resident evil 2 1. 5

Resident Evil 2 has a unique menu control for weapons & items, which is a more complex system than modern resident evil games: released to date. The graphically power of the background seems to be nothing short of perfection, for the time.

I would say for this edition that the Playstation might have had problems handling the extra ram used for this software. It could have been one of the first games to work with the 4MB ram cartridges. However, maybe they could not work this title properly with similar Sony capcom games like Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter. The Saturn version works well with the 4MB RAM just like the arcade and fast with no slowdowns. A lot of similar software releases in Japan for Sony’s version of capcom fighting games not been able to switch characters or less detail in backgrounds. This resulted in not releasing the 4MB ram to western and European markets. Therefore, most people didn’t know the differences between software releases?

I think the Resident Evil 2 beta pre-release was too much of a marketing risk, for Sony’s leading console to fail in selling more copies for its top selling hardware, than have its failing console sell more in the market: at that time worldwide.
    Last edited by chris26; 07-12-2008, 01:34 PM.

1.5 worked fine. It used the same graphics and engine as RE2 and that works fine, plus we know from videos it ran smoothly and from reports that the final version was playable right up to the end with only graphical issues and technical glitches. We know the menu worked as well, without trouble, for both these reasons.

1.5 being cancelled had nothing to do with the game engine and everything to do with the story and, more importantly, internal politics at Capcom. The game works, and would work if we could get hold of it today. We know that.

Comment

So, did different models of PlayStations have different amounts of RAM?

Comment

Net Yaroze

Net Yaroze PlayStation’s black development console: available through March 1997. You could run an entire game through the systems ram. This means the console was made to be more powerful through given the language of BASIC or C+++ software already installed to be used with net yaroze.

The specs

A 486 DX2 66MHz IBM-compatible personal computer with one or more serial ports, 28.8 bps speed modem, an Internet connection, 2X CD-ROM, 10MB of hard disk space, 4MB of RAM, mouse and an SVGA monitor is minimally required for Net Yaroze. In addition, members will need to be familiar with the operation of such a computer as well as a basic background using the C programming language and the ability to access the Internet and the World Wide Web. SCEA does not offer any training for using a computer or the use of the programming language.
        Last edited by chris26; 07-12-2008, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Keep in mind that pretty much every PS1 game would have been made with the Net Yaroze. It would have had failsafes to prevent problems that would arise on regular PS1s.

Comment

Net Yaroze was homebrew dev's not commercial use.
            These consoles where notable for having poor quality lasers.
            If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

How were commercial PS1 games made then?

Comment

Well, just think of Net Yaroze as something like a toned down version of what the professional devs used.
                Last edited by biohazard_star; 07-13-2008, 01:10 AM.
                Seibu teh geimu?
                ---

Comment

Out of curiosity, what did the professional developers use? A Net Yaroze seems fine. Also, I thought it was illegal to engineer games to work on a PlayStation without permission from Sony.

Comment

Professional developers used something that goes into your PC and looks nothing like a PSX.

Comment

Like what?

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                        Out of curiosity, what did the professional developers use? A Net Yaroze seems fine.
                        No. Just no. Absolutely not. Please, do some research on what Net Yaroze was first. "Professional" developers used real dev kits, that's all there is to it.

Comment

The Net Yaroze could only make a game worth 2mb of data.
                          PS1 games at the most are 800mb, correct me if I'm wrong.
                          Have you seen devolpment of games before? It takes time, on the computer, and alot of workers, Net Yaroze was mainly for homebrew fan-games, and a magazine used to do a disk of the best ones every month.
                          Again, I don't know if it was week or month.

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad
                            Like what?
                            Like the DTL-H500 and DTL-H2000 http://www.playstationmuseum.com/Har...p/DTL-H500.htm. The Net Yaroze was the DTL-HT3000.

Originally posted by Gradon
                            Kind of but not really. In simplified terms the Yaroze had extra RAM so you can quickly test your games but when they were finally finished I'm sure you could reference data from a CD (intro movies and stuff) otherwise it would be kinda useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradon View Post
                              PS1 games at the most are 800mb, correct me if I'm wrong.
                              Have you seen devolpment of games before? It takes time, on the computer, and alot of workers, Net Yaroze was mainly for homebrew fan-games, and a magazine used to do a disk of the best ones every month.
                              Again, I don't know if it was week or month.
                              The official Playstation mag here in the UK would run a Net Yaroze game every month...(i'm remembering how far back...this was TEN years ago...where do the years go?!)...they were dreadful pieces of shit haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X