GameTrailer's Interview with Takeuchi plus E3 demo footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another live demo with Chris Kramer.

Didn´t watch it but is very long, maybe there is some unseen stuff.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/929198...tage-show-demo

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie View Post
      Another live demo with Chris Kramer.

Didn´t watch it but is very long, maybe there is some unseen stuff.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/929198...tage-show-demo
      Probably one of the better demos...visually yes the game looks amazing. And I'll admit...I can't wait to play it since it does look fun. I just wish they would improve the enemies. The ax man magically glitched himself across the room at one point (around 7:22is) so obviously there is still a lot of work needed.

edit- the guy in the helicopter looks like Hunk. (11:02)
      Last edited by Bertha; 07-17-2008, 04:19 AM.
      sigpic
      Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

I agree, best gameplay video so far, and hey Mr.Kramer, the chainsaw is not representative of the Resident Evil franschise, is only representative of Resident Evil 4.

Comment

"Even though Chris has a mighty boot he can not open that door"

I laughed....since in one of the other trailers Sheva kicks open the lock rather than shooting it.
          sigpic
          Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
            "Even though Chris has a mighty boot he can not open that door"

I laughed....since in one of the other trailers Sheva kicks open the lock rather than shooting it.
            I wonder if you can trick the game throwing a grenade to open the lock.

I don´t think is Hunk, is a regular joe with a mask.
            Last edited by Zombie; 07-17-2008, 04:33 AM.

Comment

I know its not Hunk. I said he looked like him. I think they said his name was Kirk.
              sigpic
              Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
                Probably one of the better demos...visually yes the game looks amazing. And I'll admit...I can't wait to play it since it does look fun. I just wish they would improve the enemies. The ax man magically glitched himself across the room at one point (around 7:22is) so obviously there is still a lot of work needed.

edit- the guy in the helicopter looks like Hunk. (11:02)
                Yeah, the gameplay right now is almost a carbon copy of RE4. Granted, these are demos, but hopefully further tweaks are made. Not that RE4 had bad gameplay (just a below average plot)...

The enemy AI seems as bumbling and pathetic as the RE4 enemies. They are not a threat as long as you can keep running across the screen to relocate and unleash the copious amounts of ammo found... Hopefully the developers work on that, too - making them a bit faster and a bit more "intelligent." Because, as I said, the regular villagers seem EXACTLY like the RE4 ones, only they pose a slightly higher threat since there are more of them this time around.

And please, please - no flaming crossbows. I thought that was a stupid weapon in RE4. A crossbow is random enough, but...a FLAMING crossbow? C'mon... And for that matter, if a plagued villager can operate that, why not an AK-47 or an Uzi? Africa is a war-torn nation full of guns...

Comment

Originally posted by Petronio View Post
                  But there is a great difference. The focus of RE1-2-3 wasn't the gameplay, but the plot, puzzles and backtracking.

The focus of RE4-5 is the action and the gameplay.
                  Does not compute.

Backtracking and puzzles are considered gameplay. And if you don't think the focus of the previous games was gameplay, you obviously never played Resident Evil 3. In fact, RE3 was just as action-oriented as RE4 (I made a huge list comparing the two a long time ago, but I'm too lazy to find it or reproduce it here). The only reason it gets a pass from fans is because it was set in Raccoon City and Umbrella was involved.

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
                  The enemy AI seems as bumbling and pathetic as the RE4 enemies. They are not a threat as long as you can keep running across the screen to relocate and unleash the copious amounts of ammo found... Hopefully the developers work on that, too - making them a bit faster and a bit more "intelligent." Because, as I said, the regular villagers seem EXACTLY like the RE4 ones, only they pose a slightly higher threat since there are more of them this time around.
                  Enemy AI in tradeshow demos is always significantly lowered. Every game developer does this, and it's a pretty well known fact. It makes it easier for players to finish the whole demo in the short amount of time they are usually alotted to play it.

While I'm not so sure the RE4 animations are simply placeholders anymore, I have no doubt that the AI will be significantly increased for the final retail version of the game. They'll pretty much have to do it anyway if they do give the game a Gears of War or Call of Duty 4-styled control scheme. Otherwise, the game would just be broken.

Comment

I can't but say that I agree with every word you just posted here archelon. I'am thinking the same.
                    "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
                      Does not compute.

Backtracking and puzzles are considered gameplay. And if you don't think the focus of the previous games was gameplay, you obviously never played Resident Evil 3. In fact, RE3 was just as action-oriented as RE4 (I made a huge list comparing the two a long time ago, but I'm too lazy to find it or reproduce it here). The only reason it gets a pass from fans is because it was set in Raccoon City and Umbrella was involved.

Enemy AI in tradeshow demos is always significantly lowered. Every game developer does this, and it's a pretty well known fact. It makes it easier for players to finish the whole demo in the short amount of time they are usually alotted to play it.

While I'm not so sure the RE4 animations are simply placeholders anymore, I have no doubt that the AI will be significantly increased for the final retail version of the game. They'll pretty much have to do it anyway if they do give the game a Gears of War or Call of Duty 4-styled control scheme. Otherwise, the game would just be broken.
                      Thanks for clarifying the simplicity of the demo. I didn't know that. It makes perfect sense though.

And as for the RE gameplay experience - I agree that RE started to change in the later episodes...RE3 and RECV could have been similar to RE4 (in terms of action), but I think the developers were still trying to adhere to the mechanics of RE1, RE2. Regardless of how much RE vets want the old, familiar tank controls, zombies, etc...in order for the game to sell to the newer video game consumers, the control format needed to change and the pacing needed to change. I am sad when I reminisce on my earliest gameplay experience of RE1 / RE2, but now, I see why the formula needed changing.

I can still play REmake, because that is one of my favorite games ever, but the control scheme is lacking. I can still enjoy RE2, RE3, RECV, RE0...but I almost never play them anymore. The control scheme just doesn't make them appealing to play often. RE4 (though I hate the story and I hate Leon's characterization) is a damn fun game experience. Sure, it is almost a fully mindless shooter, but it is fun (to me).

I think the developers could incorporate this style of gameplay with zombie enemies, as long as they were fast like in the Dawn of the Dead remake. I miss zombies.

Also, the dark, creepy settings could return, and the RE4 gameplay can be hindered by tight corridors, darkness, more enemies, etc to make a truly frightening experience.

Let's just leave the matrix-esque scenes out. No more Claire outrunning a helo's chaingun, Leon flipping and doing piourettes in laser corridors, Ada jumping off platforms into helicopters, etc.

The old mysteries, lovable zombies, limited ammo...coupled with RE4 type control and gameplay...I think maybe that'd be something old and new RE players could find enjoyable.

But I could be wrong. Happens ALL the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
                        Thanks for clarifying the simplicity of the demo. I didn't know that. It makes perfect sense though.

And as for the RE gameplay experience - I agree that RE started to change in the later episodes...RE3 and RECV could have been similar to RE4 (in terms of action), but I think the developers were still trying to adhere to the mechanics of RE1, RE2. Regardless of how much RE vets want the old, familiar tank controls, zombies, etc...in order for the game to sell to the newer video game consumers, the control format needed to change and the pacing needed to change. I am sad when I reminisce on my earliest gameplay experience of RE1 / RE2, but now, I see why the formula needed changing.

I can still play REmake, because that is one of my favorite games ever, but the control scheme is lacking. I can still enjoy RE2, RE3, RECV, RE0...but I almost never play them anymore. The control scheme just doesn't make them appealing to play often. RE4 (though I hate the story and I hate Leon's characterization) is a damn fun game experience. Sure, it is almost a fully mindless shooter, but it is fun (to me).

I think the developers could incorporate this style of gameplay with zombie enemies, as long as they were fast like in the Dawn of the Dead remake. I miss zombies.

Also, the dark, creepy settings could return, and the RE4 gameplay can be hindered by tight corridors, darkness, more enemies, etc to make a truly frightening experience.

Let's just leave the matrix-esque scenes out. No more Claire outrunning a helo's chaingun, Leon flipping and doing piourettes in laser corridors, Ada jumping off platforms into helicopters, etc.

The old mysteries, lovable zombies, limited ammo...coupled with RE4 type control and gameplay...I think maybe that'd be something old and new RE players could find enjoyable.

But I could be wrong. Happens ALL the time.
                        You deffinatly said it, Jill's Boob. [Jill's beautiful, beautiful boob].
                        Last edited by Twist; 07-17-2008, 01:12 PM.

Comment

@ Jill's Boob: Definetly one of the few posts that makes more sense to me. But for RE5, though the game look interesting, I'd prefer to play it first.

Comment

Well Jill's Boob, I don't know about old mysteries and zombies (anything is possible) but as it is seen from the demo the limited amount of ammo and inventory place, only 9 slots in your inventory, are back. So re5 is 1/3 as good as you hope
                            Last edited by Nomad9026; 07-17-2008, 01:39 PM.
                            "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Thanks for the support.

I never played other zombie games, like Dead Rising or RE: Outbreak. So I cannot say what elements of those games worked, and what elements did not.

RE5 looks promising (well, except for the laughable accent and phrasing of the "fireworks" guy), but I'm hoping RE5 receives a lot of tweaks before 3/13.

The one thing that the newer RE's have failed to do is create a sense of dread that you felt in RE1, 2, etc. In RE4, you never had to just run away from an enemy. There's always enough ammo to lay waste to everyone. Granted, the first time I encountered one of those evil dogs, I ran like crazy back to the boat and stayed there while I threw harpoons at the mutt on the pier. I also often ran from the chainsaw ganados. But you could always get more ammo (or upgrade your gun) and go back to administer the kill.

In RE2, I remember running past zombies, or around them, to collect items. Then I would high-tail it out of the room. Not just to preserve health, but also precious ammo, because you knew there'd be faster, tougher enemies farther along in the game.

Was Outbreak like that? Wasn't there an endless supply of enemies to contend with?

I'm not saying RE5 or any future game needs to have limitless enemies, but I think it should balance gunplay and the need to sometimes just RUN.
                              Last edited by Jill's Boob; 07-17-2008, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Outbreak had an endless sypply of enemies, real time inventory (imagine re2 with real time inventory) and a virus timer that kills you if playing to long. Preaty hardcore game and it was fun to play it, but to hard, I've never beated it.

Comment

Working...
                                X