Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GameTrailer's Interview with Takeuchi plus E3 demo footage

#30 Birkin Type 2

Icon1

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    There is another video with Chris Kramer playing the game on the IGN live wire archives but I can figure how to save it.
    where con i see it?

THIA Staff

My first guess would be http://livewire.ign.com on the video playlist with the RE5 icon...

Quote Originally Posted by Project Omega View Post
    My first guess would be http://livewire.ign.com on the video playlist with the RE5 icon...
    thatīs right. Live Wire Show Archive, tuesday.

An Old-Fashioned Cowboy Archelon's Avatar

Gametrailers has the third alternate version of the trailer posted (the one with the lady in the white dress and the cloaked figure):

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36581.html?type=

They also have a two-part developer walkthrough of the E3 demo:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36509.html

Chris can curb stomp! Okay, so it's not exactly a curb stomp, but it is a stomp. Yeah. >.>

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36508.html

Sadistic Medicine

Quote Originally Posted by Archelon View Post

Chris can curb stomp! Okay, so it's not exactly a curb stomp, but it is a stomp. Yeah. >.>

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36508.html
    "What would a Resident Evil game be without a chainsaw wielding masked maniac?"

Uh...the answer to that would actually be: a good Resident Evil game. Perhaps the person doing the interview failed to play the previous games. Zombies don't wield chainsaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
    "What would a Resident Evil game be without a chainsaw wielding masked maniac?"

Uh...the answer to that would actually be: a good Resident Evil game. Perhaps the person doing the interview failed to play the previous games. Zombies don't wield chainsaws.
    Yea I was pissed when I heard this too. They're acting like the other games before RE 4 don't exist. I guess now it should be "what would a Resident Evil game be without rehashing old ideas and being a mindless shooter."

Sadistic Medicine

Also in another one of the videos it talks about Sheva's amazingly smart AI...and yet she shoots Chris right as the guy says it. I lol'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars1356 View Post
    Yea I was pissed when I heard this too. They're acting like the other games before RE 4 don't exist. I guess now it should be "what would a Resident Evil game be without rehashing old ideas and being a mindless shooter."
    Except every single Resident Evil before Resident Evil 4 already did this. This is nothing new for the series.

#04 Bee

Quote Originally Posted by Stars1356 View Post
    RE 1, 2, and 3 were pretty much rehash of each other too. just cause it's getting a little too actiony for you doesn't mean you have to become a hater

#13 Brain Sucker

Quote Originally Posted by itchytasty View Post
    RE 1, 2, and 3 were pretty much rehash of each other too. just cause it's getting a little too actiony for you doesn't mean you have to become a hater
    But there is a great difference. The focus of RE1-2-3 wasn't the gameplay, but the plot, puzzles and backtracking.

The focus of RE4-5 is the action and the gameplay.

Another live demo with Chris Kramer.

Didn´t watch it but is very long, maybe there is some unseen stuff.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/929198...tage-show-demo

Sadistic Medicine

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Another live demo with Chris Kramer.

Didn´t watch it but is very long, maybe there is some unseen stuff.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/929198...tage-show-demo
    Probably one of the better demos...visually yes the game looks amazing. And I'll admit...I can't wait to play it since it does look fun. I just wish they would improve the enemies. The ax man magically glitched himself across the room at one point (around 7:22is) so obviously there is still a lot of work needed.

edit- the guy in the helicopter looks like Hunk. (11:02)
    Last edited by Bertha; 07-17-2008 at 04:19 AM.

I agree, best gameplay video so far, and hey Mr.Kramer, the chainsaw is not representative of the Resident Evil franschise, is only representative of Resident Evil 4.

Sadistic Medicine

"Even though Chris has a mighty boot he can not open that door"

I laughed....since in one of the other trailers Sheva kicks open the lock rather than shooting it.

"Even though Chris has a mighty boot he can not open that door"

I laughed....since in one of the other trailers Sheva kicks open the lock rather than shooting it.
    I wonder if you can trick the game throwing a grenade to open the lock.

I don´t think is Hunk, is a regular joe with a mask.
    Last edited by Zombie; 07-17-2008 at 04:33 AM.

Sadistic Medicine

I know its not Hunk. I said he looked like him. I think they said his name was Kirk.

#47 Chainsaw Majini Jill's Boob's Avatar

Probably one of the better demos...visually yes the game looks amazing. And I'll admit...I can't wait to play it since it does look fun. I just wish they would improve the enemies. The ax man magically glitched himself across the room at one point (around 7:22is) so obviously there is still a lot of work needed.

edit- the guy in the helicopter looks like Hunk. (11:02)
    Yeah, the gameplay right now is almost a carbon copy of RE4. Granted, these are demos, but hopefully further tweaks are made. Not that RE4 had bad gameplay (just a below average plot)...

The enemy AI seems as bumbling and pathetic as the RE4 enemies. They are not a threat as long as you can keep running across the screen to relocate and unleash the copious amounts of ammo found... Hopefully the developers work on that, too - making them a bit faster and a bit more "intelligent." Because, as I said, the regular villagers seem EXACTLY like the RE4 ones, only they pose a slightly higher threat since there are more of them this time around.

And please, please - no flaming crossbows. I thought that was a stupid weapon in RE4. A crossbow is random enough, but...a FLAMING crossbow? C'mon... And for that matter, if a plagued villager can operate that, why not an AK-47 or an Uzi? Africa is a war-torn nation full of guns...

Quote Originally Posted by Petronio View Post
    But there is a great difference. The focus of RE1-2-3 wasn't the gameplay, but the plot, puzzles and backtracking.

The focus of RE4-5 is the action and the gameplay.
    Does not compute.

Backtracking and puzzles are considered gameplay. And if you don't think the focus of the previous games was gameplay, you obviously never played Resident Evil 3. In fact, RE3 was just as action-oriented as RE4 (I made a huge list comparing the two a long time ago, but I'm too lazy to find it or reproduce it here). The only reason it gets a pass from fans is because it was set in Raccoon City and Umbrella was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill's Boob View Post
    The enemy AI seems as bumbling and pathetic as the RE4 enemies. They are not a threat as long as you can keep running across the screen to relocate and unleash the copious amounts of ammo found... Hopefully the developers work on that, too - making them a bit faster and a bit more "intelligent." Because, as I said, the regular villagers seem EXACTLY like the RE4 ones, only they pose a slightly higher threat since there are more of them this time around.
    Enemy AI in tradeshow demos is always significantly lowered. Every game developer does this, and it's a pretty well known fact. It makes it easier for players to finish the whole demo in the short amount of time they are usually alotted to play it.

While I'm not so sure the RE4 animations are simply placeholders anymore, I have no doubt that the AI will be significantly increased for the final retail version of the game. They'll pretty much have to do it anyway if they do give the game a Gears of War or Call of Duty 4-styled control scheme. Otherwise, the game would just be broken.

I can't but say that I agree with every word you just posted here archelon. I'am thinking the same.
    "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

#47 Chainsaw Majini Jill's Boob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Archelon View Post
    Does not compute.

Backtracking and puzzles are considered gameplay. And if you don't think the focus of the previous games was gameplay, you obviously never played Resident Evil 3. In fact, RE3 was just as action-oriented as RE4 (I made a huge list comparing the two a long time ago, but I'm too lazy to find it or reproduce it here). The only reason it gets a pass from fans is because it was set in Raccoon City and Umbrella was involved.

Enemy AI in tradeshow demos is always significantly lowered. Every game developer does this, and it's a pretty well known fact. It makes it easier for players to finish the whole demo in the short amount of time they are usually alotted to play it.

While I'm not so sure the RE4 animations are simply placeholders anymore, I have no doubt that the AI will be significantly increased for the final retail version of the game. They'll pretty much have to do it anyway if they do give the game a Gears of War or Call of Duty 4-styled control scheme. Otherwise, the game would just be broken.
    Thanks for clarifying the simplicity of the demo. I didn't know that. It makes perfect sense though.

And as for the RE gameplay experience - I agree that RE started to change in the later episodes...RE3 and RECV could have been similar to RE4 (in terms of action), but I think the developers were still trying to adhere to the mechanics of RE1, RE2. Regardless of how much RE vets want the old, familiar tank controls, zombies, etc...in order for the game to sell to the newer video game consumers, the control format needed to change and the pacing needed to change. I am sad when I reminisce on my earliest gameplay experience of RE1 / RE2, but now, I see why the formula needed changing.

I can still play REmake, because that is one of my favorite games ever, but the control scheme is lacking. I can still enjoy RE2, RE3, RECV, RE0...but I almost never play them anymore. The control scheme just doesn't make them appealing to play often. RE4 (though I hate the story and I hate Leon's characterization) is a damn fun game experience. Sure, it is almost a fully mindless shooter, but it is fun (to me).

I think the developers could incorporate this style of gameplay with zombie enemies, as long as they were fast like in the Dawn of the Dead remake. I miss zombies.

Also, the dark, creepy settings could return, and the RE4 gameplay can be hindered by tight corridors, darkness, more enemies, etc to make a truly frightening experience.

Let's just leave the matrix-esque scenes out. No more Claire outrunning a helo's chaingun, Leon flipping and doing piourettes in laser corridors, Ada jumping off platforms into helicopters, etc.

The old mysteries, lovable zombies, limited ammo...coupled with RE4 type control and gameplay...I think maybe that'd be something old and new RE players could find enjoyable.

But I could be wrong. Happens ALL the time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information