No announcement yet.

RPD Dispatch 1 - Playing RE3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for the biohazard 3 and 2 with those improved FMV but u just mentioned them, the ones from source next which are only in japanese language.

Comment

• Why is DreamCast version so washed out it looks like someone ran it through a bleacher it's like the PSX version but in reverse. The GameCube and source next PC-DVD seem to be the only versions that had the contrast levels correct even the normal pc version is too dark, does this translate to in-game texture quality throughout the platforms also?
      If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jill Lover View Post
        for the biohazard 3 and 2 with those improved FMV but u just mentioned them, the ones from source next which are only in japanese language.
        So you are saying you'll send them ISO's of the game? No, don't do that at all. You'll be banned.

Comment

• XD Thank god you just warned me, well... i always ask before posting anything that may be illegal or something forbidden to the site itself ^^.

Too bad that PC-DVD version has the improved FMV

Comment

• I did a little investigation for you guys. Heres my findings on the FMV's for RE3:

Some notes:
            • The Gamecube version is the only one I couldn't get a disc-based rip of, since its codec is currently unable to be decoded on PC's.
            • The SourceNext PC version uses a Sony codec, which is huge. I'd guess that these were the original production files, untouched from their "raw" codec storage format.
            • The SourceNext PC version scenes are anamorphic (720x480) though they appear to be upscaled (pixel resize). Because of this, its easy to resize them by half, and you have a perfect quality scene.
            • SourceNext PC is full frame, showing more of the scenes.
            • Gamecube suffers from horrendous compression artifacts
            • PSX has color loss/hue change
            • Dreamcast is way overblown

Ranking:
            1. Source Next PC
            2. PC
            3. PSX
            4. Dreamcast
            5. Gamecube

Combine this with the facts revealed in the previous comparison, and the SourceNext is the clear winner for all situations.
            Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-18-2008, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• The GC version looks out of focus and has a softer image because of it at least on the BG's you posted it looks kinda snowy.

sigpic

Comment

• But wait a second, GC version just sucks with the FMV right? Or the whole game is a waste of money? Even knowing that is one of the best in the series... that's for sure.

Comment

• Ignoring the FMV's, the Gamecube is the third best. Heres a preliminary list of known things:

Playstation:
                  -Mercs and Costumes require a beaten game save
                  -320x240 rendered
                  -Poor color/hue on FMV
                  -15 FPS FMV

Dreamcast:
                  +640x480 rendered
                  +Costumes and Mercs unlocked by default
                  -Poor quality backgrounds (640x480)
                  -Overexposed FMV
                  -15 FPS FMV

PC:
                  +640x480 (or higher) rendered
                  +640x480 backgrounds
                  -15 FPS FMV

PC (Source Next):
                  +640x480 (or higher) rendered
                  +640x480 backgrounds
                  +30 FPS FMV

Gamecube:
                  +640x480 rendered
                  +640x480 backgrounds
                  +Can be forced to 480p with no side effects
                  +30 FPS FMV
                  -Awful quality FMV

The Gamecube version is a port of the Playstation 1 version, which requires you to beat the game to unlock the merc mode. Also, you must attain all costumes depending on your rank.

The PC/DC/SourceNext versions have all costumes (plus 2? extra) and mercs unlocked by default. I also believe that the Source Next version has both American mode (arrange) and the Japanese mode, both of which have Heavy/Light modes (or Hard / Easy in the case of the US). And no, Heavy/Light and Hard/Easy are not the same difficulties.

Overall, I'd say:
                  1. Source Next PC
                  2. PC
                  3. Gamecube
                  4. PSX
                  5. Dreamcast

But thats entirely up to you to decide. It depends if you want the 2 extra costumes and modes. I don't mind the fact that you need a save to unlock all the costumes (minus the new two) and beat the game to acquire Mercs on the PSX/Cube versions.
                  Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-18-2008, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• Thanks indeed 4 the info, one last question, GC version has those dreamcast extra outfits?
                    I'm quite dissapointed about the awful quality FMV you just mentioned...

Comment

• No, Like I said above, the Cube and PSX are missing 2 costumes that are found in the PC, Source Next, and DC versions.

Comment

• But oh noes, the Dreamcast has the VMU!!! ZOmg the best! lol. As if you need it, seeing as though Jill has no problems slouching off as her health goes down. I tell you what, Id be trying a bit harder if I was the one that got hurt.

Comment

• Yay, done with Mercs ;) If you get the case, it does indeed automatically activate for all weapons.

Comment

• Can you take a hi-res pic of Paula in DC2 and Jill's alternative biker costume in RE3 SourceNext version, please.

sigpic

Comment

• The gamecude version of RE 3 is pretty deceit. I got that and Re 2 for gamecube because I have the other games for the cude and wanted to play them again. I don't really like playing games on the PC so playing it on gamecube is the best bet for me especially with the wireless controller.

Comment

• I like RE3 for PC the best because of a few things:

- Costumes and Mercenaries unlocked at the start.
                                - Nice pre-rendered backgrounds.
                                - No mouse needed! (so you can play on a laptop with no problems)
                                - The ability to skip the door-opening sequences.

Comment

Working...
                                X