RE5 Interview, Mikami Creating a New Horror Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE5 Interview, Mikami Creating a New Horror Game

Gamasutra has an interview up with Resident Evil 5's producer, Jun Takeuchi. Also joining them is Yasuhiro Anpo, the director on the game. The main points from the interview are:
    • Coop was decided on at the start of development
    • The game is currently at 70% completion
    • Almost 100 people working on the game at this stage
    • The MT Framework is constantly getting updated by a team that is dedicated to the engine

Head on over to Gamasutra to read more.

Finally, It seems Shinji Mikami is stepping back into the Survival Horror genre. A new game was announced in partnership with Killer7 creator Suda51 and EA.

Ever? wondered what Mikami has been doing after leaving Capcom? Him and Suda 51 (Killer 7, No more heroes) have partnered with EA games to work on a whole new horror title, coming on all next-gen formats.

Electronic Arts just announced at their media briefing today in Redwood City that they are partnering with Suda 51 (No More Heroes) and Shinji Mikami ( Resident Evil) to create a brand new game in patnership with Grasshopper. It'll be produced by Mikami, directed by Suda. Suda describes it as a mysterious, unique horror action game for PS3, 360, Wii, and PC. No more details past that. 'We are very honored and think this is a great opportunity for us,' said Suda. 'This game is dark, scary, and exciting. Stay tuned,' Mikami said. I'll be interviewing Suda and Mikami later today.
    You can read more at Gamasutra. Thanks to ElusionM for letting us know!

New horror game from Mikami and Suda 51, well thats sounds interesting. I wonder what will they finally make. And it's good to hear that RE5 is already 70% complete.
    "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

It's a shame Mikami is only a 'producer' on this title. But I imagine he's probally strained for time as he is directing an unannounced project under 'Platinum Games'...lets hope it's also a horror title.

Comment

Sounds like a swing to me, back in 1999 mikami said that he wanted to go back to the disney games.

Also with that 100 are working on Biohazard 5, 50 worked on Biohazard 3 Last Escape and 70 on Biohazard Code: Veronica.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't producers given a lot more responsibilities in Japan than the West?

Comment

Originally posted by marcusray View Post
            It's a shame Mikami is only a 'producer' on this title. But I imagine he's probally strained for time as he is directing an unannounced project under 'Platinum Games'...lets hope it's also a horror title.
            I agree with you, Marcusray. Speaking of which, Marcusray, you should go check out the PlatinumGames Facebook account. I left a thread on their discussion board which is awaiting an official responce from PlatinumGames to find out if the game Mikami is creating for them is a horror title. PlatinumGames official Facebook account

Look under the 'Discussion Board' category on their page for my thread. You can read it there.

As for Resident Evil 5, I will not be purchasing or supporting this game. So it could be 20% complete for all I care.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't producers given a lot more responsibilities in Japan than the West?
              Here is some information from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_producer Unless it comes from the producers mouth personally it's probally impossible to tell how much creative input they put into any given game. I would imagine it varies drastically depending on the developer....

Concerning Jun & RE5 from all the talking he's been doing he seems to have more input than the average producer.

Originally posted by Biocore View Post
              As for Resident Evil 5, I will not be purchasing or supporting this game. So it could be 20% complete for all I care.
              Why not? There is some excellent early RE talent onboard RE5 it will be fantastic.

Comment

Thanks for the post, Marcusray. You've taught me a lot about the role of a producer in the development of a project. This is stuff I did not previously know. I'll keep you posted on the PlatinumGames situation. I'm not sure if you would know or not, but someone who has the role of 'director', that's the role with the most creative input and creative control, right? Or would that role be 'designer'? or what?
                Last edited by Biocore; 08-18-2008, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biocore View Post
                  Thanks for the post, Marcusray. You've taught me a lot about the role of a producer in the development of a project. This is stuff I did not previously know. I'll keep you posted on the PlatinumGames situation. I'm not sure if you would know or not, but someone who has the role of 'director', that's the role with the most creative input and creative control, right? Or would that role be 'designer'? or what?
                  Yes it's usually acknowledged that director/lead designer are used in the industry interchangeably and they are the head of the project. You might want to look at this thread regarding the people who are working on RE5...

Comment

After reading this, it gave me an interesting theory.

What if Shinji Mikami left because of RE4?

What if he saw how much it changed, and RE is just not RE anymore, and left Capcom? He left before RE5, and the team already knew RE5 would be like RE4 because it was a sucess for the 'casual' gamers.

:/ any comments?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobelvago View Post
                      What if Shinji Mikami left because of RE4?
                      If RE4 was the reason why Mikami left Capcom, it would be rather because of that "cutting his head off" promise (that RE4 won't be released on PS2), not because of RE4 being nothing like any RE game before. Mikami was responsible for the game and he knew what he was doing; before the final version, there were three other versions of RE4 (not including the one that eventually became DMC), and one of those featured zombies.

Comment

RE 3.5 FTW! Haha, idk but if those guys are working on it, we shouldn't be disappointed.

Comment

Fatal Frame 4 creator? Resident Evil creator?
                          This should be promising. I await for what he brings us.

Comment

Working...
                          X