What age did you start gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What age did you start gaming?

I think I was around 3 and a half or 4 on an Amstrad. That thing used cassettes yikes.. I remember having to fast-forward to play games on the second part of the tape.

Anyway the reason I ask is my 2 year old daughter (2 years last month) has started playing on my Nintendo DS. She's been playing Nintendogs and she really can play it well, she knows which toy does what, she can wash the dogs (which she finds incredibly funny) and how to access things in the menus (such as the voice recording part where it plays back your voice)... It's all down to the touch screen obviously - it's a good learning aid. She's also started to experiment with the keys next to the touch screen so maybe soon she can move onto my PS3 heheh.

How about you?

Tell your daughter that GTAIV will teach her about drugs, violence, swearing, and maybe even a bit of sex ed Lol, actually, don't.

My first memories of gaming were on my dad's very old computer, with Wolfenstein 3D and a golf game. I was terrified of Wolfenstein when I played it, but I was fascinated by my sister's gaming on it. Love Wolf3D now though, especially on GBA

I would have been about 4, I think, when we had that computer. Next came my good, ol' faithful mod-chipped PS1, which my aunty and uncle bought along with Crash Bandicoot. I think I was about 5 or 6. Loved Crashy, and still play that game even now. So you see, I'm 14 now, and the PS1 is practically mine (no one else has touched it for the past 3 years). It now gets a daily Tomb Raiding workout Never underestimate the power of retro gaming.

Comment

I remember fond memories of owning an Amiga 1200, or a Commodore. Something like that. That system was ahead of its time, had so many classics on it too. Beneath A Steel Sky, The Secret of Monkey Island, Fire & Ice, Zool, Crazy Cars, etc. Wonderful machine. I can still recall the day when they stopped making Amiga Power magazine, and Amiga Format. Such a great loss to us all. Then Generation-Xtreme moved in and took over. Game over, man. Game over.
      Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 08-26-2008, 07:22 AM.
      See you in hell.

Comment

Yes the Amiga.. after my Amstrad and NES the next thing I got was the Amiga 500+. My favourite games were Syndicate, Sensible World of Soccer and Cannon Fodder. Also a lot of other good ones too like Theme Park, Simon the Sorcerer, Monkey Island, Speedball 2, Heimdall etc. Even Workbench was fun. I got a ton of those Amiga magazines in my attic rotting away, it was fun raiding the demo disks.

I got a mod-chipped PSX in '98 with Xenogears and Metal Gear Solid (both official US imports) that was a great Christmas.

Comment

I knew I'd answered this one before. I wouldn't have been 2, but certainly not much older.
          We had the 2600, and the Colleco-vision. As well as another one that had a HUGE 1-9 numberpad, with overlays. I still remember playing Big Birds egg hunt on it. It was really fun. I also remember another sesame street game, with the overlays.
          It might have been for the collecovision. We still have the old systems. About 3 or 4 years ago I fired up big bird . As I said in the other thread, they were to help my brothers hand-eye coordination. His problem righted within months of buying the atari like the doctors advised my parents. And who said that games are bad

Every year or so my brother and I boot up Outlaw (I think it's called) on hte 2600, and swear and laugh and punch each other for hours.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scream View Post
            Yes the Amiga.. after my Amstrad and NES the next thing I got was the Amiga 500+. My favourite games were Syndicate, Sensible World of Soccer and Cannon Fodder. Also a lot of other good ones too like Theme Park, Simon the Sorcerer, Monkey Island, Speedball 2, Heimdall etc. Even Workbench was fun. I got a ton of those Amiga magazines in my attic rotting away, it was fun raiding the demo disks.

I got a mod-chipped PSX in '98 with Xenogears and Metal Gear Solid (both official US imports) that was a great Christmas.
            Man, Sensible Soccer was quite possibly the only football/soccer game that I ever enjoyed. I loved the Amiga, and it's a shame that I can't find it now. I think it somehow ended up in the hands of my next-door neighbours for some reason. Foolishness on my part.
            See you in hell.

Comment

My answers in that linked topic above.

Comment

1986. My first console was the Oddessy 2. Then a few years later when the price of the NES came down, my parents bought me that. I remember using the Zapper as a regular toy gun since I didn't have any toy guns as a kid. Probably inspired by Captain N if anything...

Comment

A lot has happened since SS and SWOS Maybe you should try FIFA 09 when it's released. Yes it's EA but FIFA 08 was pretty damn good. Konami, unfortunately, are going downhill with the ISS/Pro Evo/Winning Eleven series.

Comment

I think I was three or four. My parents bought a nintendo when I had chicken pox and it was the only way I would stop scratching myself. My dad had a Commodore 64 but I didn't start playing that till I was a little bit older.

Comment

i start playing games in my friend's snes in 1998,later on my dad gave me a psone.

Comment

I've been playing games since Christmas 1991, my parents bought me a Megadrive/Genesis and i was hooked on the first Sonic game for months... When you are that young (I was 6) it's very rare you get new games so i made Sonic last a damn long time.

Comment

We had a borrowed a genesis from a family friend or something back when I was like 2 and Sonic 2 is pretty much one of my earliest memories.

Besides that, the first game console I actually owned (besides handhelds like the original Game Boy and a Game Gear) was a Sega Saturn.

Edit: Well after checking some dates, the second half of my post (which I've since deleted) was kinda wrong / conflicting. Oh well. That's why I put 'IIRC' xD
                          Last edited by JcFFx; 08-26-2008, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I've pretty much been gaming forever. We had a Commodore 64 when i was little, and a friend of the family had an Amiga. Then moved onto a Mega Drive (or Genesis, whatever you wanna call it). My brother also had a Game Gear. Another friend of the family had a SNES. The MD was traded in for a PS1 years later. A friend had a N64, and we'd trade consoles sometimes. We got a PC shortly after the PS1 and i'd play stuff on that. Then the PS2, Gamecube, then went backwards a bit to my own N64, then Dreamcast and a Saturn, then forwards to a 360 and here i am today.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X