Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kawata Answers Fan Questions, MTV Interviews Takeuchi (old)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawata Answers Fan Questions, MTV Interviews Takeuchi (old)

Capcom Europe has posted three questions which were selected from the community to be answered by Resident Evil 5's producer, Masachika Kawata. Since they are relatively short, I'll post them here in full:

Skeksis: What new challenges have you and the development team faced this time around?
    Kawata-san: Absolutely loads. When making a game using the next-gen consoles it takes so much more time in comparison to make anything because of its high quality as well as the sheer amount of extra information that can or needs to be put in. This time around, on top of all that, is Resident Evil 5. Yes, that means even more work associated because everything will just be so perfect. Under such circumstance we need many people working in R&D full time, more than 100 to tell the truth, and to keep everyone’s morale high and getting them motivated is a full time job itself!

Dante2014: Did you get any inspiration from what couldn’t be done in previous Resident Evil titles? (With the limitations of technology at the time of the releases)
    Kawata-san: RE4 actually had deviated a little from the traditional RE style to realise the ideals Shinji Mikami (Producer of RE4) had about the game. In RE5 we intend to concentrate more to the scenario of the story and to return to the mainstream RE. Technology wise, we have attempted to implement what we always wanted to do but couldn’t due to the hardware limitations, to stage ‘fear’ through light effects. Sound Effects have also seen absolutely no compromise whatsoever that can only be realised on the next-gen consoles so if you could manage to get yourself a good sound system you will enjoy it thoroughly.

TheBigG753: For fans who preferred the classic RE games to RE4, what should we be looking forward to in Resident Evil 5?
    Kawata-san: It is true that we have seen an increase on the action element since RE4. In RE5 however our main emphasis is about the story and the degree of ‘believability’ within and the sense of fear that will naturally follow as a result of high degree of empathy. RE5 also concludes many of the storylines that have been continued throughout the RE legacy so I do believe that any RE fan would love it. After all, I am a big fan of the series and I would only allow what I, as an individual fan, would look forward to see.
    You can check out some of the reactions at the Capcom Europe boards.

I'm not sure how we missed this interview, but back in July, Jun Takeuchi was interviewed by the MTV Multiplayer blog. Heres a summary of the points from the interview:
    • He views the fear that is created by players who panic as enemies close in on you to be on the same level as the fear from the original games
    • Chris' knife, while larger and more menacing than Leon's, will still be somewhat useless against enemies and will act as a last resort weapon
    • The team wanted Chris to be the main character from the very start
    • 5 is the end of one story in the Resident Evil franchise (moving away from Umbrella completely?)

Read more at the MTV Multiplayer Blog.

While it may just be nothing, on the latest Bionic Commando podcast, Gearoid Reidy seems to hint that the standard stop and shoot mechanic remains unchanged in Resident Evil 5. This comes despite earlier rumors that it may have been changed to more Gears of War like system.

Thanks to aris13 for the heads up on these two interviews!
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-28-2008, 12:26 PM.

Chris' knife, while larger and more menacing than Leon's, will still be somewhat useless against enemies and will act as a last resort weapon
    What? In RE4 knife was a rather powerful weapon that was nowhere near "useless against enemies" and "last resort weapon". You even had to (or rather, it was easier to beat him with knife than even with a rocket launcher) kill one of the bosses (Krauser of course) with it.

the fear that is created by players who panic as enemies close in on you to be on the same level as the fear from the original games
    If the main characters is armed to teeth, as he was in RE4, then no, it isn't.
    Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 08-28-2008, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Well if the RE purists can't appreciate the change in gameplay then hopefully they will at least be able to enjoy the story, since RE5's story arc seems to be really broad and cover a lot of continuing elements of the series. If RE4 had a more related storyline and didn't abandon the whole Umbrella/T-Virus plotline, would it still be as frequently hated on by the die hards? I don't think so...

Comment

Seems like the same things they have been saying for months. It all sounds good but I won't beileve it till I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Zombie View Post
          What? In RE4 knife was a rather powerful weapon that was nowhere near "useless against enemies" and "last resort weapon". You even had to (or rather, it was easier to beat him with knife than even with a rocket launcher) kill one of the bosses (Krauser of course) with it.
          That is his point?

Comment

If it moves away from Umbrella, I give up on the RE series.

Believability? LOLWUT.
            sigpic

Comment

I still wanna see this lighting fear effect, they keep mentioning it yet we have yet to seen anything of it other than a quick 2 second blur when chris walks into buildings, or did I miss a video or something?

Originally posted by Chris' Boob View Post
              If it moves away from Umbrella, I give up on the RE series.

Believability? LOLWUT.
              I agree. And LOL yeah ok, so having el gigante = believability? Sorry, but a giant ogre with giant pants isn't gonna do it for me. Especially if hes recycled from a game that didn't have to do much with the main RE storyline.
              Last edited by Spera01; 08-28-2008, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spera01 View Post
                I still wanna see this lighting fear effect, they keep mentioning it yet we have yet to seen anything of it other than a quick 2 second blur when chris walks into buildings, or did I miss a video or something?

I agree. And LOL yeah ok, so having el gigante = believability? Sorry, but a giant ogre with giant pants isn't gonna do it for me. Especially if hes recycled from a game that didn't have to do much with the main RE storyline.
                Agreed 100%.

Where the hell is he getting the idea that giant pants and monsters are believable?

Time to lay off the dope pipe, Kawata. PUT IT DOOOWN. Good boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                  [*]Chris' knife, while larger and more menacing than Leon's, will still be somewhat useless against enemies and will act as a last resort weapon
                  He doesn't need a knife, or any kind of melee weapon. His arms alone are capable of inflicting any mortal wound.
                  See you in hell.

Comment

I think the lighting fear effect has been scrapped. I remember hearing something about moving from bright places into dark places would make it hard for chris to see and was supossed to create fear. Anyway it is gone along with the playable flashbacks.
                    Last edited by Stars1356; 08-30-2008, 10:21 AM.

Comment

The only things that have been scrapped so far are the following two:

- Sixaxis aiming was considered for the PS3 version but was deemed to imprecise and was cut out.
                      - The "heat stroke" effect has been trimmed down to only effect aming and no longer cause hallucinations.

When Chris move from a bright area to dark places, his eyes will have to adjust. he will briefly lose visual of his surroudings. this has not been scrapped. as for the playable flashback:

New information regarding Capcom’s forthcoming Survival Horror sequel, Resident Evil 5, has surfaced in a recent preview of UK publication …

Comment

Originally posted by Made in Heaven
                        The "heat stroke" effect has been trimmed down to only effect aming and no longer cause hallucinations.
                        I can explain why Capcom cut this boys and girls:
                        The hallucination effect would be full of win, awesomeness and frights, but Capcom makes no sense so they can't have that!
                        Last edited by Gradon; 08-30-2008, 01:16 PM.

Comment

That and they may not have had time to fully implement the system. I can't imagine it would be the simplest of things. And, of course, they needed the time to program more guns in.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                            And, of course, they needed the time to program more guns in.
                            Somebody call the waaahhhmbulance.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped it because they feared it would needlessly complicate the co-op. It would certainly be a problem in the single player, because not only would you have to worry about Chris becoming dehydrated, you'd have to worry about Sheva too. Considering how poorly a similar mechanic (the stamina gauge) was implemented (and received, for that matter) in MGS3, I can't say I blame them for dropping it.

Also, I'm fairly certain Capcom never said the character would hallucinate as a result of becoming overheated. That was just an assumption made by a video game magazine that somehow magically became the "official" word. All Takeuchi ever said was that Chris would need to cool down and rehydrate and that it would affect his performance (i.e. his aim, running, etc.).

Comment

Ahhh, sweet, sweet sarcasm.

Personally I've been wanting to see something like the hallucinations since RE3.5, when Leon was infected and hallucinating, as it opens up interesting possiblities...enemies that aren't out to kill you, disturing effects like loved ones being dragged away, doors being missing until you're sorted out, etc. I think it could be very, very creepy.

And, of course, the moral issues. What happens if your friend or partner suddenly looks like a zombie? Or Random McVillager shows up to try and help and he takes a round to the head, and you realize this? Ohhhh, the moral dilema. Characters might grow and develope.

Sadly, I do realize that this is Capcom, and character growth may be a dirty word.

They need that time. For more shooting stuff.

Ahhhhhhhh, sweet, sweet sarcasm.

Comment

Working...
                              X