RE5's controls change, new scheme to be shown at TGS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE5's controls change, new scheme to be shown at TGS

At the end of the MS Japan event Capcom rep Takeuchi confirmed that resident evil 5 is getting a control change.

After the Microsoft Media Briefing, Takeuchi confirmed that RE5's new controls will be on the TGS showroom floor. While he didn't go into any great detail about the changes, he did refer to them as "Gears-like" controls.
    Source : Kotaku

I'll never understand why everyone wants to "be like Gears of War".
    See you in hell.

Comment

I think the change is for the better, but Gears of War? Oh god. I have the 360, and I am a "Microsoft Fanboy" if you will, but I think GoW is one of its worst titles. Nothing about that game impressed me whatsoever. Graphics did a little bit, but it has nothing else.

Anyway, regardless of any news I hear about RE5, it's going into my library March 13.

Comment

I hope there's not a lot of "cover based gameplay" you'll have to do in the game if this is gonna have gear-like controls. I don't want this to end up an RE game turning into a Gears ripoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
          I'll never understand why everyone wants to "be like Gears of War".
          Who is this "everyone" that says that then?

Comment

i played it, it was fun...but GOW just didnt have replay value and wasnt the best game out there...kinda boring after a while. The bosses were like "wtf" doesn't even make sense. Yea I hope it doesnt clone GOW on the control scheme...RE4's controls are good enough!

Comment

Originally posted by Stars_g36 View Post
              i played it, it was fun...but GOW just didnt have replay value and wasnt the best game out there...kinda boring after a while. The bosses were like "wtf" doesn't even make sense. Yea I hope it doesnt clone GOW on the control scheme...RE4's controls are good enough!
              I agree, I beat Gears once, then never touched it again.

If the controls aren't drastically changed, then I'm hoping for the option of being able to choose how the controls are. Like if you could choose for the controls to be RE4 style or Gears style.
              Last edited by Spera01; 09-02-2008, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Gears was massively replayable, it's just a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Stu View Post
                  Who is this "everyone" that says that then?
                  Dark Sector, Uncharted, Kane & Lynch, Army of Two, Unreal Tournament 3, etc. That last one is a bit of a stretch, but I'm sure there's more. I just can't be bothered to go and look for them right now. Gears just made it popular.
                  Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 09-02-2008, 04:57 AM.
                  See you in hell.

Comment

Erm...have you played Unreal Tournament 3?

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of game engine in that respect, rather than gameplay. Strike that one from the list then, but the other four still stand.
                      See you in hell.

Comment

If this means strafing, they just broke the gameplay if the Ganado's still exhibit the same behavior as has been shown in every video thus far. Man, I really hope this isn't the case. Casual RE fans will call it a triumph, but really, all this would be another horror element lost. The choice between turning and running or making a stand would be removed and you'd be left with dodging side to side, circle strafing enemies. It's just not something that needs to happen, unless Resident Evil wants to become Gears of War. What a sad day that will be.
                        Last edited by Dot50Cal; 09-02-2008, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                          If this means strafing, they just broke the gameplay if the Ganado's still exhibit the same behavior as has been shown in every video thus far. Man, I really hope this isn't the case.
                          One of two things, this could mean.

1.) The new controls will be implemented without updating the engine at all.
                          2.) The new controls will be implemented, however the RE4 style engine that we saw (animations etc.) will finally be completely revamped to accomodate the new gameplay system.

I'm not a fan of the Gears controls - I see it as a much greater step away from what made Resident Evil 4 so tense - the controls added so much tension to the gameplay.

I'm not usually one to cry over modern changes to the series, but I feel this one has gone too far.

EDIT: I see you quickly edited to include what I basically said, Dot =P
                          Last edited by James; 09-02-2008, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                            If this means strafing, they just broke the gameplay if the Ganado's still exhibit the same behavior as has been shown in every video thus far. Man, I really hope this isn't the case.
                            I just said something similar on Biohaze...

Bringing in a cover system also negates what Takeuchi said when he said they wouldn't use a run and gun system in RE5 because it wouldn't feel like a Resident Evil 5 experience...so what does turning into a cover-fired based shooter do for the game?

I'm still psyched for the game, just need to see this in action to be sure it works...i just don't think it's going to top Resident Evil 4 right now.

Comment

I trust that Capcom likes to make money, and that they like to do this by making good games.
                              I trust that they made this decision with the knowledge that this would make the game good, and in turn, make Capcom lots of money.
                              I trust that it makes the game more fun to play (but more fun to who? Action fans?), but I for one am VERY cautiously optimistic.
                              Last edited by TheSelfishGene; 09-02-2008, 05:22 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X