Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RE5's controls change, new scheme to be shown at TGS

Elite Virus Scrubber

Default RE5's controls change, new scheme to be shown at TGS

At the end of the MS Japan event Capcom rep Takeuchi confirmed that resident evil 5 is getting a control change.

After the Microsoft Media Briefing, Takeuchi confirmed that RE5's new controls will be on the TGS showroom floor. While he didn't go into any great detail about the changes, he did refer to them as "Gears-like" controls.
    Source : Kotaku

The Emissary

I'll never understand why everyone wants to "be like Gears of War".
    See you in hell.

I think the change is for the better, but Gears of War? Oh god. I have the 360, and I am a "Microsoft Fanboy" if you will, but I think GoW is one of its worst titles. Nothing about that game impressed me whatsoever. Graphics did a little bit, but it has nothing else.

Anyway, regardless of any news I hear about RE5, it's going into my library March 13.

I hope there's not a lot of "cover based gameplay" you'll have to do in the game if this is gonna have gear-like controls. I don't want this to end up an RE game turning into a Gears ripoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
    I'll never understand why everyone wants to "be like Gears of War".
    Who is this "everyone" that says that then?

i played it, it was fun...but GOW just didnt have replay value and wasnt the best game out there...kinda boring after a while. The bosses were like "wtf" doesn't even make sense. Yea I hope it doesnt clone GOW on the control scheme...RE4's controls are good enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Stars_g36 View Post
    i played it, it was fun...but GOW just didnt have replay value and wasnt the best game out there...kinda boring after a while. The bosses were like "wtf" doesn't even make sense. Yea I hope it doesnt clone GOW on the control scheme...RE4's controls are good enough!
    I agree, I beat Gears once, then never touched it again.

If the controls aren't drastically changed, then I'm hoping for the option of being able to choose how the controls are. Like if you could choose for the controls to be RE4 style or Gears style.
    Last edited by Spera01; 09-02-2008 at 04:22 AM.

Gears was massively replayable, it's just a great game.

The Emissary

Quote Originally Posted by Big Stu View Post
    Who is this "everyone" that says that then?
    Dark Sector, Uncharted, Kane & Lynch, Army of Two, Unreal Tournament 3, etc. That last one is a bit of a stretch, but I'm sure there's more. I just can't be bothered to go and look for them right now. Gears just made it popular.
    Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 09-02-2008 at 04:57 AM.
    See you in hell.

Erm...have you played Unreal Tournament 3?

The Emissary

I was thinking more along the lines of game engine in that respect, rather than gameplay. Strike that one from the list then, but the other four still stand.
    See you in hell.

War Horse Uranium

If this means strafing, they just broke the gameplay if the Ganado's still exhibit the same behavior as has been shown in every video thus far. Man, I really hope this isn't the case. Casual RE fans will call it a triumph, but really, all this would be another horror element lost. The choice between turning and running or making a stand would be removed and you'd be left with dodging side to side, circle strafing enemies. It's just not something that needs to happen, unless Resident Evil wants to become Gears of War. What a sad day that will be.
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 09-02-2008 at 05:08 AM.

THIA Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Dot50Cal View Post
    If this means strafing, they just broke the gameplay if the Ganado's still exhibit the same behavior as has been shown in every video thus far. Man, I really hope this isn't the case.
    One of two things, this could mean.

1.) The new controls will be implemented without updating the engine at all.
    2.) The new controls will be implemented, however the RE4 style engine that we saw (animations etc.) will finally be completely revamped to accomodate the new gameplay system.

I'm not a fan of the Gears controls - I see it as a much greater step away from what made Resident Evil 4 so tense - the controls added so much tension to the gameplay.

I'm not usually one to cry over modern changes to the series, but I feel this one has gone too far.

EDIT: I see you quickly edited to include what I basically said, Dot =P
    Last edited by James; 09-02-2008 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dot50Cal View Post
    If this means strafing, they just broke the gameplay if the Ganado's still exhibit the same behavior as has been shown in every video thus far. Man, I really hope this isn't the case.
    I just said something similar on Biohaze...

Bringing in a cover system also negates what Takeuchi said when he said they wouldn't use a run and gun system in RE5 because it wouldn't feel like a Resident Evil 5 experience...so what does turning into a cover-fired based shooter do for the game?

I'm still psyched for the game, just need to see this in action to be sure it works...i just don't think it's going to top Resident Evil 4 right now.

Mad Jackal

I trust that Capcom likes to make money, and that they like to do this by making good games.
    I trust that they made this decision with the knowledge that this would make the game good, and in turn, make Capcom lots of money.
    I trust that it makes the game more fun to play (but more fun to who? Action fans?), but I for one am VERY cautiously optimistic.
    Last edited by TheSelfishGene; 09-02-2008 at 05:22 AM.

For what it's worth, if you want to play a Resident Evil-turned-Gears Of War shooter today, there's a Dark Sector demo on the X-Box Live Marketplace, possibly on the PlayStation Network Store as well, not sure. It's one of the best games i've played all year, truly brilliant game, and an excellent blend of both games that just goes to show that a blend of both games can work...i just don't believe that Capcom are aiming for the marketing team to pass this off as a Dark Sector-clone!

Overly Old School

I'm hoping that the extent to these mighty changes is the ability to run and gun at the same time. Add dodge and strafing and, well, I think we can safely go play Left 4 Dead and see that way of doing horror games done right.

I don't get it, though. One minute they're talking about bringing in more horror elements, the next they're talking about making it more action based. At least Left 4 Dead was doing this right from the start, but Capcom seem to be adding any element from any game they think has sold well.

Barry's Super Awesome Army The Dude's Avatar

Strafing wouldn't break the game provided the AI is up to snuff to compensate for it yet still give you the feeling of being constantly threatened by mass hordes of enemies.

All the same, i'd be happy if they just pulled their finger out, and allowed the right analog stick as a free view mechanic like in games like gears *as apposed to RE4's clunky point and force the camera in that area mechanic* to help with exploration and better movement.

"Run and Gun" along with strafing would probably break the game, improving the fluidity of the control and camera system would go a long way toward improving it.

Default Ugh.

I wonder when Capcom decided "Lolol let's take Resident Evil... and make it NOT Resident Evil! Yeah! That'll be super."

Let me guess, are they gonna say that this too is gonna be 'revolutionary' for taking some other games style? I just read a gaming magazine... and it said RE4 was like #3 or something on a list of CLASSIC games. That made me wanna puke but that's besides the point... They said RE4 was 'revolutionary' as being the 'first game to use over the shoulder', or something along those lines. Anyone ever heard of say... Fallout? Or how about Cold Fear? But Oh well. I guess this is gonna be another super-duper 'revolutionary' game. The pretty graphix r enuff 4 me, lololol.

-________-'
    Last edited by ShadowLeggy; 09-02-2008 at 06:05 AM. Reason: colors!

Boulder Incident Witness

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLeggy View Post
    [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]They said RE4 was 'revolutionary' as being the 'first game to use over the shoulder', or something along those lines. Anyone ever heard of say... Fallout? Or how about Cold Fear?
    I haven't played Fallout (yes, shame on me >_>), so I don't know if there was such camera, but Cold Fear was published two months after RE4 (in march, while RE4 for NGC was published the same year in january in both America and Japan).

And I'm too a litlle bit concerned about that Gears-like controls. RE without its stop-and-shoot mechanics will just turn into another fast-paced shooter :/.
    Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 09-02-2008 at 06:31 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information