RE5's controls change, new scheme to be shown at TGS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunglasses View Post
    PS: Mr Zombie I'm not saying your comment is stupid and and boring, this is only an example for Stu
    No problem.

I know about Silent Hill, but the main difference is, SH is still a pure survivor-horror game (at least I hope SH:H don't change that), RE on the other hand changed into more action packed game. If the main character gain the ability to shoot while running, it might be too easy to defeat enemies without letting them nowhere near you.
    In SH at least characters can't run while shooting (only walk slowly), and their accuracy was lower (at least in SH1 was - Harry could even miss several times). Not to mention, when playing SH, gamers rather use close combat weapons instead of guns (at least I do).

I'm not complaining or telling that RE5 will fail, I just don't see this kind of controls fit into the RE4 gameplay mechanics. I hope Capcom know what they are doing.
    Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 09-02-2008, 08:46 AM.

Comment

@Mr Zombie
      yes, the point is that SH is still a pure survivor-horror while RE5 is a survival shooter.
      Personally I prefer a walk and shooting, maybe run is a bit excessive... but in my opinion RE5 needs to feature not much running while shooting, but "back off" (is that the right word?) and shoot, the only problem that have the gameplay in RE4.
      Last edited by Sunglasses; 09-02-2008, 08:58 AM.

Comment

but in my opinion RE5 needs to feature not much running while shooting, but "back off" (is that the right word?) and shoot, the only problem that have the gameplay in RE4.
        I'm sorry , I didn't understan, whats that?

Comment

The ability to walk backwards while shooting, backing away from the enemy.

Personally, think changing the thing to walk and shoot is...OK. Running, shooting, dodging and straffing? Eh. The game doesn't look like it was built with that in mind, and that this is a new addition.

Comment

As far as i'm concerend there isn't much to take cover against in Resident Evil 5... In Gears of War, the cover system worked beautifully because you were constantly being shot at, and the only way to survive was to dive into the nearest piece of cover before getting torn up. It worked great, but i can imagine that's not the case in Resident Evil 5. Your 'cover' seems to be the expansive environment, and the best tactic to stay alive (Based on what we've seen so far at least) seems to be "Keep moving"...

I wouldn't complain if they incorporated strafing or at least a dodge mechanic, but i'd be a bit dissapointed if they allowed you to run and shoot without aiming and roll around like a bloody COG or something! It's just not that kind of game. Takeuchi has already stated that a lot of terror stems from the decision making, that you need to stop to aim because running and shooting is horribly inaccurate (The guy is a guns expert so i think he knows best on this front, and probably dictated it stayed the same...)

Anyway, i'm welcoming of the idea - Just as long as it doesn't go too overboard with the Gears esque elements

Comment

Originally posted by himher_elle View Post
              I'm sorry , I didn't understan, whats that?
              Sorry, english isn't my language.
              I was talking about a gameplay option that allows the player to shoot the enemies while the characters goes backwards (like in tomb raider for example). One big problem in all the RE games is that when enemies are too closer you are forced to turn round and go away then stop again and shoot... that's is the only one problem of the gameplay in RE4

Comment

Meh, I dunno, we might just be overreacting. More "Gears-like" is a very ambiguous description to give, it could mean anything.

Remember that part in RE4 after you first meet the merchant, and Leon has just gone through that canyon? There's a part where the Ganados were chucking dynamite towards him, and you could crouch behind some containers if you stood in the right place and pressed A/X. For all we know, a "duck and cover" system for RE5 could just be this implemented on a wider scale. Fairly clunky, but a nice inclusion nonetheless.

As for for running and shooting, that one may be too much, as would strafing In my opinion. But walking and shooting would be welcome. Like Gene I enjoyed it in File #2, and it could work in RE5 whilst still allowing for tension whenever you had to shoot. The walking would still be slow enough to allow the enemies to still catch up on players, but at the same time allow for more cautious and apprehensive moments in the game.

Having said that, we might not be overreacting. Capcom can either fill in some minor gaps in the gameplay here with some more realistic and diverse gameplay mechanics, or deliver a monumental "fuck you" to a lot of us.

I might regret this later, but I'm going to go on record and support the former. Wait 'til TGS, then we'll know just how "Gears-like" Takeuchi is talking. It could just be some minor alterations.
                Last edited by El Bastardo; 09-02-2008, 01:05 PM. Reason: Does anyone actually read these?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Stu View Post
                  Any evidence of this, or is it just random bile spitting for the sake of it?
                  I might of over embellished a bit with the 'first time ever' thing, I sort of assumed that's what they meant when they said it, but I looked back and I might've been wrong. I think me and my boyfriend were just sick to our stomachs over the fact that most games on their 'Top 25 Classics' were mostly game series... but then randomly put in RE4. JUST RE4. And said the older ones were crap, more or less. But it's in the September 08' issue of GameInformer, page 112. Said that the over-the-shoulder was revolutionary. I puke at it.

Comment

I've never played "Gears of War" so I don't know what to think about this...

From reading the various posts in this thread, I am beginning to wonder just what will come from these "Gears-like controls."

I liked the idea that someone brought up of being able to walk backwards while shooting/aiming. That was one area of RE4 that was kind of nonsensical - that you always had to lower your gun, 180, and run 15 feet away to get some separation, before aiming at the mass of enemies again. If RE5 allows the player to backstep while firing off rounds, that'd be a good thing IMO.

As for strafing...meh. So far the environments don't look too accommodating for such action. And with the slow moving enemies, wouldn't a "strafe" feature allow you to just run circles around them?

The (supposed) "cover system" - this doesn't seem necessary at the moment...unless these infected advance beyond the flaming crossbow era of ranged weaponry.

The real issue with the game now and always (besides the continual disappearance of horror) is the enemy AI. A slow moving crowd, many of which are hunched over with a melee weapon held up in the air, is not threatening. They run at you until they are about 8 feet away, and then they slow down to a gait, walking directly at you (and your pointed weapon). In some of the RE5 snippets, there are an occasional few villagers that rush at Chris, either tackling his midsection, or missing due to a dodge maneuver.

Capcom needs to improve the enemy characteristics. Forget all this "Gears of War"-envy for action-packed controls, and instead make the enemies a real THREAT. RE4 failed in that category, minus a few baddies like the Regenerators or the Garradors. The basic villagers just "walked" at you, for the most part. Even after they closed in, you ran 10 feet away, and then took aim again. Instead of running after you, they just kept on a-walkin'!

I am still excited as hell for RE5, and will buy it day one. But more and more, I find myself wondering what happened to the game that was shown in the trailer back in 2005. You know, the one with a realistic looking Chris, enemies that ran after you (full speed), and a hint at the blinding effects of the sun...

Last edited by Jill's Boob; 09-02-2008, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
                      I liked the idea that someone brought up of being able to walk backwards while shooting/aiming. That was one area of RE4 that was kind of nonsensical - that you always had to lower your gun, 180, and run 15 feet away to get some separation, before aiming at the mass of enemies again. If RE5 allows the player to backstep while firing off rounds, that'd be a good thing IMO.
                      Exactly I totally agree

Comment

I've never played Gears of War, so I have no idea on what to expect.

Comment

Exactly I totally agree
                          Haha, I wonder why?

Comment

Gears is more orientated towards enemies with guns, which is where the cover based gameplay comes in where you must take cover from the incoming fire, unless the enemies in RE5 are gonna be using lots of guns, I don't see really any point to having this feature in.

I do like what you said about walking backwards while shooting though, Jill's Boob. That is one feature I wouldn't mind being implemented. Also I completely agree the A.I. needs to be improved, I want enemies that are actually gonna be scary to fight against, like for example villagers constantly charging up to Chris's face trying to rip his throat out. The only enemy in RE4 I felt almost scared to fight were the regenerators, but only for the first few times I encountered them.

As for the strafing and the taking cover mechanic, I really don't see these having much need and should just be left out.

Comment

Originally posted by Spera01 View Post
                              Gears is more orientated towards enemies with guns, which is where the cover based gameplay comes in where you must take cover from the incoming fire, unless the enemies in RE5 are gonna be using lots of guns, I don't see really any point to having this feature in.

I do like what you said about walking backwards while shooting though, Jill's Boob. That is one feature I wouldn't mind being implemented. Also I completely agree the A.I. needs to be improved, I want enemies that are actually gonna be scary to fight against, like for example villagers constantly charging up to Chris's face trying to rip his throat out. The only enemy in RE4 I felt almost scared to fight were the regenerators, but only for the first few times I encountered them.

As for the strafing and the taking cover mechanic, I really don't see these having much need and should just be left out.
                              The walking backward thing was originally the idea of "Sunglasses." But yes, the three of us feel that would be a great addition to the gameplay mechanic.

I just hope that Capcom is putting as much time into the story of RE5, that they are into the action-packed gameplay. I really, really want a fulfilling story that does indeed tie up all the loose ends (or at least some of them). RE4 failed in the storytelling section, Umbrella Chronicles didn't answer much...so I am praying to the video game Gods that RE5 is packaged with an amazing, in-depth story.

Honestly, that is the most important aspect of this game to me. I could care less about co-operative gameplay or heat-induced hallucinations. It's all about the narrative for me...

Comment

The walking backward thing was originally the idea of "Sunglasses." But yes, the three of us feel that would be a great addition to the gameplay mechanic.
                                Whoops, sorry Sunglasses, I must of missed your post. But yes, it should definitely be included if this is to have gear like controls.

I just hope that Capcom is putting as much time into the story of RE5, that they are into the action-packed gameplay. I really, really want a fulfilling story that does indeed tie up all the loose ends (or at least some of them). RE4 failed in the storytelling section, Umbrella Chronicles didn't answer much...so I am praying to the video game Gods that RE5 is packaged with an amazing, in-depth story.

Honestly, that is the most important aspect of this game to me. I could care less about co-operative gameplay or heat-induced hallucinations. It's all about the narrative for me...
                                I agree, to be honest, the thing I'm mostly looking forward too in RE5, is the reuniting of Wesker and Chris. I wanna see what Weskers been up too since Umbrellas End.
                                Last edited by Spera01; 09-02-2008, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X