Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavenly Sword

Anyone else here played it?

I know it's not the most popular game on the planet.

There is the obvious God of War comparisons, but has anyone else given the game a chance and liked it. I'm probably gonna sound biased, but yes I can see why God of War is so popular, but I feel this game gets an unfair rep with the comparisons.

I would give an in-depth analysis of the game here, but I don't know how popular/unpopular the game is here, but has anyone tried it and liked it, even though The King is totally evil, you can't help but be slightly amused at least.

If this is an old topic then Dot/John delete or whatever. I only remember your real name Dot, because I have a friend and several family members with the same name.

If anyone wants to talk about the game let me know, my favourite character is Kai, except Nariko, so unless anyone wants to know more/or talk, I'm gonna be quiet lol.

Finally playing 1.5. Woo-Hoo!!!

sigpic

I played it at Gamestop when they set up those little demo things. It was alright, I guess. It didn't really strike any profound desires within me to buy a PS3 and play it.

But yeah, it was a lot like God of War.

Comment

From what I saw on TV, it looked like the took God of War, and replaced the Kratos model with one of the prostitutes from the game I've never played it since I don't have a PS3, but if and when I get one, I'll definitely give it a go. I like games with female lead characters; there's something refreshing about it...

Comment

I had it, it's insulting to God Of War to say it's similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Stu View Post
          I had it, it's insulting to God Of War to say it's similar.
          How so?

sigpic

Comment

I LOVED it!!!
            It's not like it's perfect or anything and it's definitely not for everyone but I think it's a damn good game.
            I think it suffered a bit because it was one of the '1st BIG PS3 EXCLUSIVES'. It came with a lot of hype, so when it was released and didn't get perfect 10s from the reviewers, a lot of people considered it a failure (xbox fanboys were thrilled to scream "See! SEE!!! the ps3 is CRAP!!!").
            It is similar to God of War(s) in some ways but it's also very different. Unlike that Conan game which was a shameless rip-off. It's a sword and sorcery tale and it's not like GoW invented the genre.
            Kratos is an unstoppable killing machine but Nariko can get smacked around if you're not careful. Also, if you try playing it like GoW you will quickly get frustrated. The combat system takes some getting used to but it's not that hard and is rewarding when you master it.
            In some ways the game is brilliant! The cut scenes/cinematics are incredible and probably still the best going around. The characters eyes are so realistic it's scary. The in game graphics are awesome. Some of the moves you can pull off are cool fun. I thought the story was great and I loved the characters and world it's set in (stunning environments).
            Some of the boss fights were fun but others were a pain in the ass. Some I were glad to finish and never want to go back to. But the chapter select lets you replay the fun stuff.
            The levels in the final chapter where you're fighting an army are epic! And guiding an arrow with the controller over 300 meters, to nail an enemy in the face is FUN
            It's quite short and some complained it's more of an interactive movie. But whatever, I still enjoyed it.

Yep, Nariko and Kai were both really cool! What was going on between those two? I got the feeling they were more than just good friends...

I was excited to read they are making a sequel but then disappointed to read they will use a male lead character (like I need another meathead swinging a sword in my collection ) They thought the 1st game may have been more popular if they had a male lead but I can't imagine a more appealing character than Nariko. She's like, SOOOoooo HOT! They should at least bring back Kai or maybe have a resurrected Nariko ('Zombie Nariko'?). It may even be set thousands of years in the future, so who knows what connection there will be.

Sorry about the long post but I've never written about this game before...

Comment

A sequel? Cool.

Shame about the rumour of a male lead character, the lead character being female was what made me want to play it.

Maybe I'm being a little slow/thick but weren't Nariko and Kai sisters? Only they where really close.

I love the game too. Been recently replaying it after leaving it for a while.

I do agree that it's too short, but the storyline just pulled me in and couldn't put it down.

King Bohan, one minute has me thinking 'you evil b******', then the next minute has me rolling on the floor in fits of laughter, never really felt that way about a character in a game before. Weird.

Like the chapter select too, that way you can play your favourite parts, without playing through the whole game again.

sigpic

Comment

I don't 'think' they were sisters... Unless Kai was adopted.
                Nariko's father was the leader of their tribe and I think Kai was just Nariko's... er, 'special friend'.
                (someone to cuddle up with on those cold desert nights )

Comment

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
                  I don't 'think' they were sisters... Unless Kai was adopted.
                  Nariko's father was the leader of their tribe and I think Kai was just Nariko's... er, 'special friend'.
                  (someone to cuddle up with on those cold desert nights )
                  As I said, I'm a bit slow/thick when it comes to this sorta stuff.

sigpic

Comment

i was thinking of buying it but now i think i am going to get mgs 4 or uncharted or maybe wait for re 5.

Comment

I'm new to the "next gen" console era, as I just got a PS3 last week (in preparation for RE5, as I don't play a lot of video games anymore), and I downloaded the "Heavenly Sword" demo since I am a fan of Anna Torv's hotness. Anyway, I was really amazed by the demo of this game.

I found a copy of the game itself last night (for $25 to boot!) and played through 3 chapters so far. Pretty impressive game, but I'm not quite as exhilarated as I was upon playing the demo for the first time.

It is a beautifully crafted game though, and the story is pretty good. I look forward to finishing it up soon (as I see you all are saying it is short).

But I've got a question for you all - if anyone is even prone to check on this thread again - did you experience some framerate issues (on occasion) while playing this game? At least I think they're to be considered framerate issues, as I really don't even know what that term means - I just saw it in another thread. Anyway, when I am going through a level, sometimes the screen will have a hiccup of sorts, and the animation will not be fluid for a second or two. And this wasn't during any intense battle scenes, it was just various times when I was running through a level.

I just want to know if that has occurred to anyone else?

Comment

From memory the game does have some frame rate issues, when there is a whole lot of stuff going on at once. Nothing too annoying and not really surprising, considering how crazy the action gets at times.

I don't recall seeing the 'hiccups' you describe... Sounds strange.

Comment

Yeah, the framerate issues were only apparent in the beginning and then I saw one more in a cutscene before I battled the Raven King. The game was awful short, but it was a good story and beautifully rendered. Both Nariko and Kai were very cool characters.

I tell you - that last boss battle was a bitch. There were so many people on screen and they kept getting in my way when I was trying to correctly time my swings to return the volleys of energy sent my way.

But it was fun to waste hundreds of enemies at a time.

I'm glad to know others are fans of this game.

Comment

Working...
                          X