No announcement yet.

RPD Dispatch 3 - Playing RE1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone should rip the texture that has the message on the wall in trial version for the writeup.
    You should also mention the bit when your in the 1st floor save room with the item box and chemical where the zombie comes down the stairs.
    Last edited by kevstah2004; 09-26-2008, 04:04 PM.
    If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Lovin n listen to the latest RPD Dispatch.

I know its titled playing RE1, but would it be ok to play REmake, just for comparisons, would anyone be interested? If so let me know, if not let me know too anyway.

What about Barry in RE1 stopping at the clock, anyone else get this to happen?

It happened to me and I know Dot had this happen too.

Loved the toilet reference in the latest RPD Dispatch.

Sorry to repeat whats been said already, but those sound gaps are really annoying.

Liked the way you talked about Irons being a 'b*****d', sounds like me at COD4. "Everyone's gonna die."

One more thing, sorry to bring this up again, but does anyone know whats up with my GameCube save in scenario B,(Leon B) where the fire should be after the chopper crash.
      Finally playing 1.5. Woo-Hoo!!!

sigpic

Comment

Sorry if this is included in original RE, but I just realised, if you kill the original plant. In the greenhouse.

The remaining plants, will fight. The remaining plants, will fight on, even though there is nothing to defend.

Sorry I can't describe this proper, surely, someone else can.

I will try and be more specific.
        Finally playing 1.5. Woo-Hoo!!!

sigpic

Comment

i don't think the plants were ever hive minded to begin with ..

Comment

Whispers similarities to Dino Crisis 2's pp-34 with Plant 42 & 43.
            Last edited by kevstah2004; 09-26-2008, 10:37 PM.
            If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Are you going to cover Director's Cut?
              I think you should, because it's basically the same game but with differences and improvements. I don't think it's different enough to warrant it's own podcast. Unlike REmake, which would definitely deserve its own podcast. You could mention all the changes like more zombies, new camera angles, different item placements and getting attacked by Zombie Kenneth etc. Playing it today I also noticed Rebecca was wearing red...
              Off course, there's also the uncensored FMVs in the Bio version.

I did some comparisons today of the Playstation versions of DC. You can use or ignore this info at your own discretion. The comparisons were made using the same widescreen HDTV.
              Bio DC ps1 (running on ps2) vs Bio DC ps3/psp download.
              *The screen size is different* The ps3 version nearly fills a widescreen tv but it's not stretched. I'm not sure how they did this. Using the tv's zoom function, on the ps1 version I wasn't able to get the same dimensions without chopping off the top of the game screen.
              *The ps3 version is faster* You can run faster on the ps3 version. It is visually noticeable and also you can hear that the steps are quicker together. Another example of this is in the left side of the 1F mansion, in the room with the clock. You can hear it ticking faster in the ps3 version. I'm guessing the whole game runs a bit faster. However the speed of the door opening animations and the in game dialogue appears the same.
              *Graphics* The ps3 version is a vast improvement. The ps1 is very blocky and pixelated, while the ps3 version is not only much smoother but there is more detail in both the character models and backgrounds.
              I'm not sure why there's such a difference because the ps3/psp download is supposedly just the exact same game as the ps1 version.

Could the difference in graphics quality just be a result of the ps3's smoothing technology (used for ps1/ps2 games)?
              I stuck the PAL ps1 version disk into the ps3 to find out...
              While the game is smoother and less pixelated than when running on the ps2, it's also kinda smudged and there's a loss of detail. It certainly dosn't look nearly as good as the ps3 downloaded version.

Conclusion: the ps3/psp download of Bio DC is far and away the best Playstation version of the original game available (you can get it from the Japan or HK PSN store... no, I don't work for Sony). You will really notice the difference, especially if you play your games on a large, widescreen HDTV.

Comment

Pity I should have to pay for something I already own five of, just in different formats.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
                  I did some comparisons today of the Playstation versions of DC. You can use or ignore this info at your own discretion. The comparisons were made using the same widescreen HDTV.
                  Bio DC ps1 (running on ps2) vs Bio DC ps3/psp download.
                  *The screen size is different* The ps3 version nearly fills a widescreen tv but it's not stretched. I'm not sure how they did this. Using the tv's zoom function, on the ps1 version I wasn't able to get the same dimensions without chopping off the top of the game screen.
                  *The ps3 version is faster* You can run faster on the ps3 version. It is visually noticeable and also you can hear that the steps are quicker together. Another example of this is in the left side of the 1F mansion, in the room with the clock. You can hear it ticking faster in the ps3 version. I'm guessing the whole game runs a bit faster. However the speed of the door opening animations and the in game dialogue appears the same.
                  *Graphics* The ps3 version is a vast improvement. The ps1 is very blocky and pixelated, while the ps3 version is not only much smoother but there is more detail in both the character models and backgrounds.
                  I'm not sure why there's such a difference because the ps3/psp download is supposedly just the exact same game as the ps1 version.
                  I wish I had a PS3 to test this out myself. Can you provide a screenshot or two of what it looks like on the PS3? I wonder if you can purchase this title on a US PS3 or off the PSN store to play in a US PSP.

Edit:

Do you get the same results if you play the DC version off the disc on a PS3?
                  Last edited by alf717; 09-27-2008, 08:56 PM.

Comment

I think I'm going to stop playing the DS version. For some reason, I get really dizzy after playing the DS for more than 10 minutes. I'll be switching to some other version. I can't take this anymore. Plus, my hands cramp up because the buttons are suited to child hands

Comment

I'm expecting to see some comments from members regarding how well this game has held up. Just went through a play through myself on the PSX (Dir Cut) and it has aged very well...Mikami's talent was evident early on. The atmosphere in the mansion kicks ass and the files are the best in the series. I can see why people cite this as their favorite it's not just nostalgia it genuinely does a lot of things better than the other games.
                      Last edited by marcusray; 09-28-2008, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Oh yeah, RE1 will always be a classic.

Comment

I wish I had a PS3 to test this out myself. Can you provide a screenshot or two of what it looks like on the PS3? I wonder if you can purchase this title on a US PS3 or off the PSN store to play in a US PSP.

Do you get the same results if you play the DC version off the disc on a PS3?
                          1) Sorry, I can't do screenshots (I'm sure that Dot could)
                          2) Yes, the downloads from the Japan store will work on any ps3 (I've got a PAL ps3).
                          3) To quote myself:
                          Could the difference in graphics quality just be a result of the ps3's smoothing technology (used for ps1/ps2 games)?
                          I stuck the PAL ps1 version disk into the ps3 to find out...
                          While the game is smoother and less pixelated than when running on the ps2, it's also kinda smudged and there's a loss of detail. It certainly dosn't look nearly as good as the ps3 downloaded version.
                          I'm not saying it looks like REmake but the difference is clear enough to notice.
                          Pity I should have to pay for something I already own five of, just in different formats.
                          True, but if you're keen enough to buy it 5 times already, you should be willing to pay 500yen ($5) to have it on your ps3 HDD. Especially with the slight improvements I've noted.

Comment

Is it downloadable directly from the PSN website -> PC -> PSP memory card?

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                              I think I'm going to stop playing the DS version. For some reason, I get really dizzy after playing the DS for more than 10 minutes. I'll be switching to some other version. I can't take this anymore. Plus, my hands cramp up because the buttons are suited to child hands
                              You might be focusing on the screen too much. When I play DS I always remove my glasses and lay back while I play. I tense up a lot as I play DS from time to time and just take a 10-15 minute break.

I have this issue while I play Half-Life 2 for a long period of time as well.
                              Last edited by alf717; 09-28-2008, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I have the same problem when I play the DS. Staring at the screen to long hurts my eyes and makes me sleepy.

Comment

Working...
                                X