Playstation Official Magazine - Australia, have Resident Evil 5 on their December 2008 cover today and with that a "world exclusive" look at the game itself. The 5 page article reveals some interesting details about the game, but there's not a whole lot of new information besides some reworded stuff from the GamesTM article. What is included though, is shown below: -
- Control system is alledgedly named "Gears", and is referred to as a "secondary" control system - take from that what you will.
- Deserted train yard area confirmed - sun is blocked "dynamically" by high carriages and cargo containers.
- The developers consider the game at it's core to be a "horror game, not a third person shooter".
- Tap L1 to aim, double tap L1 to reload, with evasion being mapped to X
- Jun Takeuchi explains the "Gears" control system - "The decision to introduce the new control scheme is something we took in fairly late into the development of Resident Evil 5. The main reason we decided to put it into the game was actually due to the Resident Evil movies - there are a lot of people out there now that know about the game and might want to play it, but may be put off by difficult control schemes."
- About Sheva's AI - "...and most importantly the AI keeps up with you along the way.
- Takeuchi want's to avoid "glorifying violence". In example, he mentions that although the executioner will decapitate someone in a certain cutscene, you won't see a bloody neck stump spraying blood anyway. Takeuchi remarks "It is not always about blood and gore. More goes into it than that and keeping a balance is important".
- The preview makes the game's co-op system sound quite challenging, remarking that if one player dies then the game will end. Takeuchi humourously adds "If both players are crap you will end up in a worse situation than Friday The 13th."
- It is mentioned that your gun CAN jam, though it is unclear if the article means generally throughout the game or just during the chase scene.
- Villagers who throw explosives at Chris' hummer during the chase scene will drastically move the vehicle of course, possibly ruining the player's aim.
- Resident Evil 5 will "draw together many of the mysteries and strange story paths featured in the previous entries into the series."
In addition, there is more information about Excella Gione and Sheva's "inspiration" too.
- Sheva's face was inspired by Australian model Michelle Van Der Water, but another model was used for her boice and capture.
- Excella Gionne is descended from the founders of Tricell.
- She has been able to work her way up the corporate ladder of Tricell because of weapons she made using "virus information" Wesker has passed on to her.
- She is using her position within Tricell to assist Wesker in his "plans".
And finally, Takeuchi and the development team tease us with this statement:
What we would like to say to fans of the series to brush up on past Resident Evil games and know everything that is going on with the story, even Code Veronica. We can't say exactly why, but that might be one thing that they'll want to do before the game comes out!