360 hard drive failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 360 hard drive failure?

does anyone know how long a 360 hard drive lasts?

My pro got a 360 a few years ago and recently it shitcanned, so im gonna surprise him in jan with a brand new one and im wondering if i should get him the arcade or the new pro. we don't really download unless its a patch or a demo so im not concerned about space.

my concern is the hard drive might not work with the newer systems.
    Last edited by riderkid; 10-13-2008, 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling error

Aside from hardware malfunctions where the heat generated by the hard drive causes the metal to expand to the point where friction becomes a problem, which generates even more heat, which causes even more expansion until you have a dead drive....

Hard Drive failures, are typically flukes unless you are running Windows ME and decide you want to DeFrag your PC. I've heard some horror stories regarding that (but I think they are just urban legends and general ME bashing). New hard drives are built to last, so having the HDD fail on you would be pretty rare...

I've had hard drives last me 20 years at the longest (the hard drive in my P70 still works fine aside from running Windows 3.1).

Comment

Originally posted by Project Omega View Post
      Aside from hardware malfunctions where the heat generated by the hard drive causes the metal to expand to the point where friction becomes a problem, which generates even more heat, which causes even more expansion until you have a dead drive....

Hard Drive failures, are typically flukes unless you are running Windows ME and decide you want to DeFrag your PC. I've heard some horror stories regarding that (but I think they are just urban legends and general ME bashing). New hard drives are built to last, so having the HDD fail on you would be pretty rare...

I've had hard drives last me 20 years at the longest (the hard drive in my P70 still works fine aside from running Windows 3.1).
      oh no i meant on the xbox 360

Comment

Haven't exactly heard any horror stories about the 360 HDDs.

They use standard laptop drives inside those shells. I've so far seen some Samsung and Fujitsu labeled drives hidden inside them.

So unless you toss that thing around and stuff, it should "normally" last you longer than you'll ever need it to. Unless you encounter some random issue, which in that case, should be covered by a standard manufacturer's warranty as it wasn't broken by accident.

Also, you might just want to look into getting that 360 repaired by MS instead of buying a new one. Seems like the tests they do are pretty nice before they send them back out again. They for some reason even changed the DVD ROM on my 360 (to one that is even more quiet than that of my brand spankin' new Elite model) when I sent it back on warranty 'cause of an RRoD issue. I never really had any issues with the DVD ROM (or well, some random DRE would pop up every once a "whatever", but that wasn't exactly a big deal.)

Also, swapping HDDs between consoles is no problem. Only thing is that if you have content bought on another console, that content can only be used if the gamertag that bought it is logged in and connected online. (Unless you use the DRM transfer procedure that you can find on Xbox.com, but then you'll still have to redownload the content to assign the new console ID info to said content.)

Comment

well when i asked about adding an HDMI slot to my bros 360 they stated they can't do that. plus his system is almost 2 years old and considering the damage done to the system and the upgrades in equipment in the 360 now i think replacing the console al;together seems like a better investment.

also we'll be using the same gamertag so DRM is no problem

is that ok
          Last edited by riderkid; 10-13-2008, 06:59 PM. Reason: i called it the 260

Comment

Originally posted by riderkid View Post
            considering the damage done to the system and the upgrades in equipment in the 360

"damage" and "upgrades"?

If your "damage" and "upgrades" doesn't somehow prevent the system from still being covered by the system warranty, I see no reason not to send the system in for repair on warranty. Especially since it's entirely free. If you're "lucky", you might even end up like quite a lot of others and get a new system in return instead of the old one.

Comment

there could be a lot of reasons why your hard drive isn't working where is your xbox 360 on and which way is on

Comment

well the bigger problem is not the hard drive. it still works no matter what system its in.

its the system, it freezes, it does not run demos, hell sometimes it just does not want to work. its out of warranty but they said unless it has the RROD its not free. its about 100 bucks and i figured i'd rather just buy the arcade with a HDMI port for when i get a splitter, its an extra 100 but at least i know the system gets a 1 year warranty, an HDMI port and an extra wireless controller.

Comment

Why not wrap it in towels and let it run until the heat causes it to RROD?

Comment

Originally posted by riderkid View Post
                    its the system, it freezes, it does not run demos, hell sometimes it just does not want to work. its out of warranty but they said unless it has the RROD its not free.
                    Sounds like a system that is about to wrap up and die.

Does it do the same while running games from discs?
                    Have you tried the HDD on another unit with the same results?

I'd try to clean the cache of the HDD, just to see if that'd help. Evt. also try to format it if you don't mind the trouble of re-downloading purchased items + using the account recovery feature (or just have a memory unit to temporary move the gamertags and other data before formating.)

And yeah, like hellrizer said, there could be a lot of reasons why you encounter this if it's a HDD.
                    You're not keeping your 360 right ontop of, or next to, some sort of equipment such as an audio receiver or a floor with heating cables, right?

Comment

ok i'll run through all the steps i have taken. i have tried the HDD on my frineds 360 which only won't run games half the time. im gonna copy my gamertag when i get the arcade if i get it so i can reformat the drive. and finally i just tried to redownload demos and it froze.

i think i will stick with buying an arcade

Comment

Working...
                      X