GameInformer on Resident Evil: Degeneration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GameInformer on Resident Evil: Degeneration

Game Informer have an article depicting their impression on Resident Evil: Degeneration, a brand new CG movie on the Resident Evil series. Apparently, they are more impressed with the movie compared to Wired's Chris Kohler, who reviewed the movie a while ago.

Through Game Informer, Makoto Kamiya, the director of the movie, explained that their decision to make it a CG animation movie is because it allows them to have more creative control over the movie content. Another reasons for that was due to the budget for making a movie in Japan.

Hiroyuki Kobayashi stated that the movie will take place between Resident Evil 4 and the upcoming Resident Evil 5 because he wants to continue to move the timeline forward.

The movie crew also explained their decision to make it a direct-to-dvd outside Japan in the article. While Game Informer didn't give a score to the movie, they are positive that the fans of the RE series, or rather, horror fans in general will "get a kick out of the feature film."

Head over to the link to find more screenshots and to learn more about the film. Thanks to Archelon for the news.
    Last edited by xfactor; 10-17-2008, 01:38 AM.

I think most reviews will be more positive than Kohler's review.
    ________
    extreme vaporizer review
    Last edited by Blacktail; 01-19-2011, 11:51 AM.

Comment

naah, just wait for the non-gaming media to rip it apart.

Comment

Im still not sure wat capcom are hoping for sales wise with this project.

going straight to dvd will mean that only a select few will actually buy it. Sure the resident evil fans will pick it up, and the occasional "games fan" but wud this be enough to legitimize the cost of making the film?

i can see the producers point of not releasing the film in cinemas worldwide, the cost wud rise also, but perhaps that wud have generated more income than a straight to dvd approach.

Comment

I think they have made the right choice. The costs of creating the cinematic prints plus the huge advertising campaign they would have to create would be very expensive. Not to mention this story is part of an established timeline that not many cinema goers would be immediatley familiar with. It would be like going to see Saw 5 for example if you haven't watched the previous 4. And if you add the damage Paul Write's Shit Anderson's films have done to the RE name, coupled with the fact that for some people, a cg film at the cinema is not everyone's cup of tea, it wouldn't add up to a big return.
          Even if it is a good film, it would bomb at the box office, yet with 30 million RE fans out there, this film will develop a very good cult following on DVD and easily make its money back.
          "I've got 100 cows."
          "Well I've got 104 friends."

Comment

Originally posted by TheBatMan View Post
            And if you add the damage Paul Write's Shit Anderson's films have done to the RE name, coupled with the fact that for some people, a cg film at the cinema is not everyone's cup of tea, it wouldn't add up to a big return.
            That's not right. I hated Anderson's adaptations too, but they were highly profitable.
            Last edited by doomed; 10-17-2008, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Highly profitable yes because they were called 'Resident Evil', dissappointing to us as fans because they had nothing to do with Resident Evil. But to the average horror/action {comedy!} cinema goer, they are gonna films they would watch and possibly enjoy because you didn't have to be familiar with the games.. Degeneration is different, because it is part of the canon game mythos.
              "I've got 100 cows."
              "Well I've got 104 friends."

Comment

Imagine the thousands and millions of kids being confident about thinking this way:

"It's a RE Movie, they MUST explain everything about the game"

Sad true is that RE Movies don't explain a single thing about the games.
                Even more, they left you with a taste of nothing good and you're indeed even more confused about the game than when you started to watch such a thing"

To conclude, from this point of view, RE Movies are nothing but a fraud.

So I believe that this time a CG RE Movie made by Capcom is far better than those awful films, they can't screw it that bad.
                Last edited by Handsome Rob; 10-17-2008, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Well, I always wanted a real Resident Evil movie, so it'll be nice to see one regardless of whether it's live-action or not, regardless of whether the dialogue is fittingly atrocious, regardless of who the characters are -- anything's better than Anderson's movies. Anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Neptune View Post

going straight to dvd will mean that only a select few will actually buy it. Sure the resident evil fans will pick it up, and the occasional "games fan" but wud this be enough to legitimize the cost of making the film?
                    Didn't FF:Advent Children have great success? And it was not a theatrical release. Capcom is simply copying that vid's success.

Comment

when is it out for purchase again!?!?!?!

Comment

December 30th, 2008. Its on the home page
                        Last edited by Dot50Cal; 10-17-2008, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Damn it, why does it come out 5 days after Christmas? Now I have to spend my own money on it.

Regardless, if it comes out on Blu-Ray(?!), it's probably a first week-ish buy for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Neptune View Post

i can see the producers point of not releasing the film in cinemas worldwide, the cost wud rise also, but perhaps that wud have generated more income than a straight to dvd approach.
                            first off.

game informer is a gamestop piece of crap.

second

you do not know the power of STD (not the bad one), if straight to dvd movies sucked then blockbuster and sci fi would be out of business. the only thing here is capcom actualy knows what there doin instead of some drugged up 22 year old film freshmen at sci fi

Comment

I think a direct to DVD is just fine. This will hold me other until 5 comes out.

Comment

Working...
                              X