No announcement yet.

RPD Dispatch 5 - Playing Dead Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got to Chapter 4 myself. Gonna hit the sack. I'm really surprised at how well they keep every environment unique and interesting. I went in expecting the same repetition that Doom 3 had, but its nothing like that at all. Lots of care went into the designs, and it certainly doesn't hurt that the game looks gorgeous. Mostly all high resolution textures, with some fantastic lighting, which seems to switch based on what kind of room you go in (airlock, etc). Really awesome so far!

One gripe I have is that you can't adjust the controller analog sensitivity. You can turn down the mouse speed, but theres NO option to change the controls on a controller. So I have been forced to get used to their fast sensitivity. For the first 50% of the nub's movement, it seems fine, but when you go to the outer edges, your camera just spins a whole hell of a lot and it makes things very disorienting.

Thankfully, sitting far back from the TV solved my eye strain issues and I am trudging through. The scares in the game are great too, because its never a cheap scare. Theres no monster closets or anything. The places that monsters pop out from are plausible. I will say, though, sometimes I hear the music kick up with its little tinge, but I don't see what I'm supposed to be looking at. Perhaps it would have been better if they took control of the camera during those sequences to show you what you should be looking at.

The map system could have used a bit of tweaking too. I notice they center on the models center position, and not your character. It makes navigating multiple levels pretty difficult.
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 10-26-2008, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Just completed it. The game was major ass. Very generic, boring and repetitive. It wasn't scary at all, and I felt it only pulled off the atmosphere in a few locations. The last chapter was pretty nice though, as was the ending.

Also, anyone saying that Resident Evil 5 needs to take tips from this is retarded. This really needed to take tips from Resident Evil 4/5. A lack of ammo does not make tension, it makes the game not fun.

Comment

You thought there was a lack of ammo? And you call ME retarded?

Comment

I was calling anyone who thinks that this could teach Resident Evil a few things retarded. If you think that, then yes, I'm calling you retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by randomwab View Post
            Also, anyone saying that Resident Evil 5 needs to take tips from this is retarded. This really needed to take tips from Resident Evil 4/5. A lack of ammo does not make tension, it makes the game not fun.
            Lack of Ammo?.... I'm playing through a second time on hard and I still have way too much ammo.
            Last edited by Spera01; 10-26-2008, 12:40 PM.

Comment

But like i said, you think there's a lack of ammo in Dead Space?

Pot. Kettle.

Comment

Yeah, I had a lack of ammo for the Plasma Cutter and the Line Gun a good few times through the game. I always had a lot of Pulse Rifle ammo, and a lot of ammo for whatever was in my forth slot. It was probably because I really only used the Plasma Cutter and Pulse Rifle though, seeing as they were the only half decent weapons really.

The ammo thing didn't really matter though, because the game throws a rediculous amount of cash at you. I had so much that health, ammo and suit upgrades never became a problem. I had about 100,000 still sitting at the end of the game.
                Last edited by randomwab; 10-26-2008, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Chapter 4, I think...

Spoiler:
                  Last edited by REmaster; 10-26-2008, 07:17 PM.
                  "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                  Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
                    Chapter 4, I think...

Spoiler:
                    Spoiler:

Comment

Well, I still haven't started back yet, but I haven't had any issues with running out of ammo. I only have three weapons at the moment. I don't really see a need to go for a fourth yet, since most of them are similarly priced and probably don't offer much in the way of an upgrade vs my current weapons.

Comment

I'm on chapter 3 of the PC version of the game.
                        I like it very much so far.. Great graphics & gameplay. The story is intriguing too.
                        The FOV was very weird at first but I got used to it.

Comment

I'm only up to chapter 3 so far.

But yeah, I haven't really had much of a problem in the ammo department.
                          Plus I rarely find myself using anything but the first gun you get (forgot the name at the moment).

I appreciate the number of scares they put in that try to make you jump. But it still hasn't scared me or made me jump. At the very least though, it kept me cautious enough to spend more time walking than running.

As a side note, my favourite moment of the game so far...

Spoiler:
                          Last edited by JcFFx; 10-26-2008, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Wow, the Hydroponics..awesome. I'll have a video up of that room soon. It looks so amazing on the PC I'm really glad I got it. While it shows signs of a console port, you really cant beat the game in 1920x1080 with everything on max at a buttery 60FPS.

Loading is instant when I go to the save/load screen. They did a really good job.
                            Last edited by Dot50Cal; 10-26-2008, 10:11 PM.

Comment

The game in general
                              "spoilers...maybe"

Spoiler:
                              "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                              Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
                                The game in general
                                "spoilers...maybe"
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X