Yahoo games discusses Resident Evil 5 and racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beasley23803 View Post
    You make not that he's a black who went to Stanford so he MUST have had scholarships to pay his way. And not just scholarships you mention Minority funded scholarships. As if he can't earn scolarships other than those targeted towards minorities.

All you had to say was that he's a guy who went to Stanford. You didn't have to include his Race, his "minority funded scholarships", or anything else that was irrelevant when concerning his education.
    But N'Gai Croal is a black man. I read about him to learn a little about who he is, to try to understand his vantage point.

Stanford is a top 5 American university. Most people that attend there probably have scholarship-aid. Being that he is a minority, he probably had minority-related assistance. Same as a woman would receive female-related assistance. Or an Islamic student would receive Muslim-related assistance. Race, sex, and religion are all listed on college applications, scholarship applications, etc. It's a shame that the world cannot just focus on people as one. We are all human beings, all have the same color blood. The only things that separates people are their thoughts and feelings.

I had to include his race, and his education. If you look in my original post, I was emphasizing how N'Gai Croal's life is so different from the lives of the Kijuju villagers (however fictional they are). The irony in the different lifestyle between the defender and the people he is trying to defend. And the "racism" imagery he purports.

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
    beasley's right Boob - You're reverse profiling him, basically stating he has no right to comment because his background isn't considered to be "atypical" of a normal race stereotype.
    Reverse profiling? By that, you mean I did some research into who he is as a person? The opposite of how he evaluated the RE franchise before labeling it as a purely racist game where a white man shoots black villagers?

I did some journalistic investigation into N'Gai Croal. I have no issues with his race. I am accepting of all people. I in fact only have a problem with his poor work...as a Stanford alum and professional writer for Newsweek, he should produce better journalism.
    Last edited by Jill's Boob; 11-09-2008, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I vote stuff like this never gets posted as news again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
        But N'Gai Croal is a black man. I read about him to learn a little about who he is, to try to understand his vantage point.

Stanford is a top 5 American university. Most people that attend there probably have scholarship-aid. Being that he is a minority, he probably had minority-related assistance. Same as a woman would receive female-related assistance. Or an Islamic student would receive Muslim-related assistance.

I had to include his race, and his education. If you look in my original post, I was emphasizing how N'Gai Croal's life is so different from the lives of the Kijuju villagers (however fictional they are). And the "racism" imagery he purports.
        You still don't get it. Croal knows this game is not racist. Like you said he just wants his 15 minutes of fame. Im saying that your comment was the typical way that many "racial stereotypers" think about minorities who climbed the "success ladder"; They all must have had some assistance because of who they are. Sure, there's is a chance he had scholarships but why do they have to be minority funded? We don't know, he could have came from a wealthy family. But wait he's black. See what I mean
        Originally posted by Rombie View Post
        beasley's right Boob - You're reverse profiling him, basically stating he has no right to comment because his background isn't considered to be "atypical" of a normal race stereotype. Good one.

My issue with it is he's been crowing on about this since the first trailer came out, and while he has some valid comment it's old news now and they're the same comments he's been making from the start. Capcom has responded already, clearly indicated it's not one race, and this won't change anything more - the game is coming.
        Exactly
        Last edited by beasley23803; 11-09-2008, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Ive talked to my black friends and they didnt view it as racist, in matter of fact, one of my friends wants to buy the game cause it looks sick! I don't see it as racist either.

Comment

You still don't get it. Croal knows this game is not racist. Like you said he just wants his 15 minutes of fame. Im saying that your comment was the typical way that many "racial stereotypers" think about minorities who climbed the "success ladder"; They all must have had some assistance because of who they are. Sure, there's is a chance he had scholarships but why do they have to be minority funded? We don't know, he could have came from a wealthy family. But wait he's black. See what I mean
            I really don't see what you mean. You are fleshing out your own beliefs here - that's what it looks like to me.

I never looked at his "success ladder," or whatever you are claiming. I am saying that Croal has a cushy job, after attending an elite university. He is a black man, great. But my issue is with his journalistic angle...since I studied journalism in college - I have primary issue with his work.

You are making a fuss over what I wrote - you assume that I am a white male. And you assume that I am prejudiced or possess some sort of racial bias. Aren't you racial stereotyping then?
            Last edited by Jill's Boob; 11-09-2008, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I really don't see what you mean. You are fleshing out your own beliefs here - that's what it looks like to me.

I never looked at his "success ladder," or whatever you are claiming. I am saying that Croal has a cushy job, after attending an elite university. He is a black man, great. But my issue is with his journalistic angle...since I studied journalism in college - I have primary issue with his work.

You are making a fuss over what I wrote - you assume that I am a white male. And you assume that I am prejudiced or possess some sort of racial bias. Aren't you racial stereotyping then?
              What? How?
              I never assumed that you were white...???
              Male? At first, I actually thought you were a female, until I thought about your user name.
              And I don't think, well I know you didn't mean any harm with your statement.
              Other wise I would have called you a white racist.

Another thing, I would be the last one to assume someone else's race. Since, everyone thinks I'm white and I'm not, well at least not entirely.
              And, don't try to turn this around on me.
              You are really stereotyping now, because you are assuming that I am assuming that you are a white person who has racially biased views.
              I was just letting you know that your comment was a typical stereotypical statement. And like I said I don't think you meant any harm. That's it.
              Last edited by beasley23803; 11-09-2008, 01:37 PM.

Comment

What? How?
                I never assumed that you were white...???
                Male? At first, I actually thought you were a female, until I thought about your user name.
                And I don't think, well I know you didn't mean any harm with your statement.
                Other wise I would have called you a white racist.

Another thing, I would be the last one to assume someone else's race. Since, everyone thinks I'm white and I'm not, well at least not entirely.
                And, don't try to turn this around on me.
                You are really stereotyping now, because you are assuming that I am assuming that you are a white person who has racially biased views.
                I was just letting you know that your comment was a typical stereotypical statement. That's it.
                Well, I don't want to argue about it. I know what my intent was, concerning Croal. I have issue with who he is as a writer/journalist.

As for you, beasley, I can see your vantage point if you interpreted my post that way. Merely I was just trying to point out the irony in Croal's cries of racism.

Either way, we've both made out points. Maybe we should let others discuss the topic at hand too.
                Last edited by Jill's Boob; 11-09-2008, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Well, I don't want to argue about it. I know what my intent was, concerning Croal. I have issue with who he is as a writer/journalist.

As for you, beasley, I can see your vantage point if you interpreted my post that way. Merely I was just trying to point out the irony in Croal's cries of racism.

Either way, we've both made out points. Maybe we should let others discuss the topic at hand too.
                  Sure, we don't need another beasley vs. Boob war again.
                  Last edited by beasley23803; 11-09-2008, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I think you guys are all missing that N'Gai Croal isn't looking for 15 minutes of fame, he's pretty much a well known journalist throughout the gaming industry already, too. =/

Comment

Well, N'Gai Croal may be an established gaming journalist, but he needs to use his credentials to make a valid argument. Saying RE5 is racist, just because of a white game hero shooting black villagers - in Africa of all places - truly screams of wanting attention. He didn't bother to delve into the RE backstory, or even contemplate the locale. He might as well scream racism over the film "Blackhawk Down."

Anyway, as I mentioned before...we'll continue to hear about "racism" angle periodically as we near the release of the game.

Comment

Even after the game is released and makes loads of money, there will still be cries of racism. It seems that most people realize that it is not and there are other important issues going on in the world.
                        Last edited by Stars1356; 11-10-2008, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X