Capcom's All-time Sales Data till Sep 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capcom's All-time Sales Data till Sep 2008

Capcom have recently released their updated sales data charts, most of the numbers are the same as before. Resident Evil 2 is still the highest selling game in the Resident Evil franchise and Capcom's 2nd highest selling game overall.

Here is a chart showing the LTD sales of the entire Resident Evil series courtsey of Chartget.com:

Capcom's Million Sellers
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 11-12-2008, 06:30 AM.

I find it amusing that the original releases of the first three games in the series, all sold wonderfully, and the series' sales have dwindled since. Sure, it's still selling relatively well, but not nearly as well as the originals did. Maybe Capcom should wake up and smell the roses?

(This is in no way meant to criticize Capcom, the later games of the series, or anything else in particular. Just an observation followed by one man's opinion.)

Comment

@lanaka
      Ony becouse Chartget.com are considering sales data for single platform.

Comment

the combined sales of Re4 across three platforms just barely surpasses RE2 alone.

Comment

i think its funnny they won't mention there other major franchise megaman as a comparison

Comment

Originally posted by riderkid View Post
            i think its funnny they won't mention there other major franchise megaman as a comparison
            Is that their first highest selling game overall? I know Mega Man came before Resident Evil, but I was just curious.
            My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
            ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

Originally posted by lanaka View Post
              I find it amusing that the original releases of the first three games in the series, all sold wonderfully, and the series' sales have dwindled since. Sure, it's still selling relatively well, but not nearly as well as the originals did. Maybe Capcom should wake up and smell the roses?
              Or maybe it's just that gamers' tastes have changed since the late 90s? RE0 used the same format as the early games and it didn't sell very well. Now I love the classic RE as much as anyone, but most gamers today want very kinetic, blast-everything-in-sight types of games.

Originally posted by Logical Operand View Post
              Is that their first highest selling game overall? I know Mega Man came before Resident Evil, but I was just curious.
              Nah, those are just the numbers for RE. Capcom's highest selling franchise would probably be Street Fighter or Mega-man. Shoot, Mega-man has had a TON of sequels. As for Capcom's #1 selling individual game...? SFII, maybe?

Comment

As for Capcom's #1 selling individual game...? SFII, maybe?
                yeah, its all in the link at the bottom of the news post.

Comment

I had a feeling that Re2 would be the top selling one then 4 and 3 and thoses 3 are the main one's I think are the beast.

Comment

Other interesting things to note -
                    - RE4 and CVX on the PS2 are the best selling versions, while being generally considered the worst editions - clearly showing the lead the console had in it's generation.
                    - RE Dual Shock outsold the standard DC edition, which is fairly surprising.
                    - Aside from the RE4 combined sales, it's fairly amazing the combined sales of the original RE on PlayStation in it's three editions have only just sold more than RE2 did on it's own single release.
                    - The PS releases make up more than half of all RE titles to have sold over 1 million (13.54 million). The remainder on that list is only 12.79 million.
                    - The series, even with the hype for RE5, will likely never return to the sales of RE2. Against Capcom's expected sales, I expect total sales of the game combined on 360 and PS3 will be around 4.2 million.
                    Last edited by Rombie; 11-12-2008, 04:03 PM.

Comment

RE2 was the pinnacle of the series in sales, due to the hype for the game. It had a serious media push, and word-of-mouth also propelled its sales.

Because RE1 was a success, that really helped to push RE2 off the shelves.

I only knew of RE1 because of an article I saw in EGM all those years ago, whereas RE2 propaganda was everywhere.

As for sales rivaling RE2...yeah, we'll never see that again. RE2 - a terrific game in its own right - had a lot going for it during its time on sale:
                      - The survival horror genre was very limited, and RE was still very much "one of a kind"
                      - There were fewer quality games for sale (IMO) in those days of the PS1, N64, and Saturn

Comment

can someone confirm to me what the retail price of RE2 on the psone was at its launch ?

because im thinking since those days a game didn't require 20+ million dollars like most current block busters require, capcom probably ended up with HUGE profits from RE2 alone.

Comment

I'll have to look into that...yikes, what did games cost in 1998? $39.99, maybe? I remember getting it the evening of the day it came out. But what did I pay?

Comment

RE 2 cost $39.99 when it came out. The price for games has gone up 10 dollars with each generation of consoles. Anyway, I wonder how RE 5 will stack up after all is said and done.

Comment

I think it well sell very well, but I don't know if it will be close to RE2. Given the popularity of RE4, you'd think that that game would have toppled RE2. RE5 might be able to match RE4's sales, or at least be close to it. Then again, 1.5 million per system might be more realistic.
                              Last edited by Jill's Boob; 11-12-2008, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X