No announcement yet.

Capcom's All-time Sales Data till Sep 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find this all pretty interesting (I'm not sure why).

They also included the all time sales for Capcom franchises.

Series Unit Sales
    01. Resident Evil Series (50 titles, 34,500,000)
    02. Mega Man Series (120 titles, 28,000,000)
    03. Street Fighter Series (59 titles, 25,000,000)
    04. Disney Series (33 titles, 13,200,000)
    05. Devil May Cry Series (10 titles, 9,500,000)

The latest video game news, reviews and features from the team at Edge Magazine. Subscribe here today.

I did some adjustments to the RE sales. For instance I would include the original with Director's Cut and obviously the Dual Shock version. It would be cool if someone with better research skills than me could fill in all the ?. PC sales and other platforms etc. With the info I had available here's MY list.

1. Resident Evil ...5,250,000 + PC, Saturn, Nintendo DS, JP PSN, HK PSN? (currently 10th on the all time JP PSN downloads)
    2. Resident Evil 2 ...4,960,000 + PC, N64, Dreamcast, GC, JP PSN, HK PSN? (currently 4th in Japan, 7th in HK on all time PSN downloads)
    3. Resident Evil 4 ...4,850,000 + PC?
    4. Resident Evil 3 ...3,500,000 + PC, Dreamcast, GC?
    5. Resident Evil CV ...2,540,000 + GC?
    6. Resident Evil Outbreak ...1,450,000
    7. REmake ...1,350,000 + Wii?
    8. Resident Evil 0 ...1,250,000 + Wii?
    9. Resident Evil UC ...1,050,000
    10. Resident Evil Outbreak F2 ...600,000
    * Resident Evil Dead Aim ?
    * Resident Evil Survivor ?
    * Resident Evil Survivor 2 ?
    Last edited by Skunky; 11-12-2008, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Pretty solid investigation, my man.

On a side note...Mega-man, 120 titles? Wow.

Comment

Yeah, I can only assume they are including every minor difference, between the same games released in different regions.

Comment

To me Resident Evil 2 is the best in the series, but i have a natural fond for Resident Evil 1 as it was the first one i played (on Saturn) and i had 15 years old at the time so... it scared the shit out of me in a memorable and special way!
          Last edited by IGUANO; 11-13-2008, 01:01 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

"We want to be actors." That is hilarious.

Comment

Looking at the sales figures, I think it's safe to say that the series was in serious decline before RE4 came along. By 'decline' I'm referring only to sales figures, not game content. And Sales figures are what's important to Capcom.

Up to RE3 the series was huge. I loved Survivor but I'm sure it sold a LOT less than the earlier games. RE-CV had a lot of hype on Dreamcast and then for a while, it was the only RE on PS2 but it still didn't sell like the early games.
              REmake and Zero suffered from being exclusive to GC. The Cube was in last place, by a long, long way to the xbox last generation and the xbox was in 2nd place by a long, long way to the PS2.
              It was a VERY bad decision not to port REmake and Zero to the PS2. Sales of those games (which are great games) would probably have at least doubled. Perhaps because RE4 did so well on PS2, while Outbreak File 2 sold so poorly, influenced the decision not to port them. They may have decided that the 'old style' was no longer appealing to current day gamers.
              But to contradict myself, it is understandable that they have 're-released' them on the Wii. With the Wii selling so well, it's a chance for more people to 'discover' the 2 games (even though they could just buy the GC versions). However, while it's done okay, RE-UC has not sold in HUGE numbers. I bought a Wii just so I could play it but I'm sure not every RE fan would have done so. In fact, I would think most RE fans would have chosen either a PS3 or 360 for their next console. So, the audience for those 2 games might not grow much at all. The same could be said for putting Fatal Frame 4 on the Wii. Just because there are a lot of Wiis out there, dosn't mean the games will sell lots of units. Most fans of those games would now be on PS3 and 360.

For a game to sell LOTS, firstly it has to be a GOOD game and secondly it has to be on the right console(s).

Comment

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
                "We want to be actors." That is hilarious.
                As Jill (randomly) says in RE UC: "i thought so too". LOL the idea was taken from a fan video where Jill briefly appears screaming "Josephhh!!!" with "I want to be an actress!" written beside her. It was some time ago, and i couldn't find it online when i searched it for the credits, but (as you did now) i thought it was hilarious and never forgot it. By the way... nice boob you have there! LOL i really enjoyed that video but that's not the real boob is it?

On-topic:
                Originally posted by Skunky View Post
                (...) Series Unit Sales
                01. Resident Evil Series (50 titles, 34,500,000) (...)
                50 titles? That's crazy! Where? lol
                Last edited by IGUANO; 11-13-2008, 11:52 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

I feel ashamed for contributing to RE3 sales figures.
                  4.90 for RE1 not bad ;-) they missed out RE2: Dual Shock though along with the ports re2 and re3 for gc and dc, I guess deadly silence doesn't count either.
                  Last edited by kevstah2004; 11-13-2008, 11:26 AM.
                  If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IGUANO View Post

50 titles? That's crazy! Where? lol
                    When Capcom did it's yearly data back in 2002, the total number of titles was like 30-ish and we tried to list them all with no luck. All the main games counted, but we weren't sure if Capcom was including like Cell Phone download titles or anything else like that.

Comment

Re2 was the best out of all the series? Well the best at selling more units. That's bananas!

Comment

Not really. As Boob correctly pointed out, the hype for the series at that point was massive.

The original RE was a smash hit and won numerous People's Choice awards, the delay into early 1998 only continued to build hype for RE2, and Capcom managed a skilled marketing campaign in both the US and Japan, including the much hyped REDC release with the RE2 demo (which helped continue to sell the original game to the ever increasing install base of PS1 owners and hype them up for the sequel).

PS version's almost 5 million copies aside, RE2 (and RE3 as well when I think about it) has seen more format releases than any other title basically so overall it would maintain an exceptional high sales amount..

I just wish Capcom would eventually, one year, break down each series into the entire title base and give numbers of every version sold that makes up the overall title.

Comment

Of all the Capcom games that had sales/shipments in the last quarter, and were therefore updated to reflect this chart, RE4 Wii Edition had the largest gain relative to its previous userbase. Even Umbrella Chronicles had a smaller gain in the last quarter. By comparison, DMC4 sales didn't rise last quarter. US Wii sales in October were at about 800K, and if even 1% of those buyers bought a copy of RE4, then it's sales would rise about 8K. Pretty considerable. It's matched Dead Rising in sales, and looks to surpass Lost Planet after the holidays. I wouldn't be surprised to see it sell over 1 Million in the US.

RE4 PS2 also saw a rise after stagnating for about two years -- it's now ahead of Onimusha and behind DMC1, making it the second best selling PS2 game ever for Capcom. If RE5 jumpstarts RE4 PS2 sales (like MGS4 did to its predecessors) then I think there's a chance it can surpass DMC1.

Rombie, as far as Western sales are concerned, I think RE4 is actually way past RE2. (RE4 PS2 made it past 1 Million, the GC version made it to 830K and Wii Edition's got to be around 650K now). Yet worldwide, RE2's managed to stay on top for the last decade because its sales in Japan were so phenomenal, around 1 Million beyond either RE1 or RE3. Not sure the series is still as popular in the West as RE2 was, but I think RE4 gave the series a big boost in the West. We're now seeing Capcom's reaction with RE5's various changes.
                          Last edited by cvxfreak; 11-14-2008, 01:57 AM.

Comment

I thought about it, but I'm still not yet convinced of that fact which is why I made that comment about Capcom releasing a more specific breakdown.

We're looking at RE4 for GC, PS2, and Wii... against RE2 on PS1, PS1 Dual Shock re-release (in the US at least), N64, Dreamcast, and GameCube. With the lead off the PS1 sales I still expect a higher western sales total from the other 4 releases in total for RE2. Per game release the sales for RE4 are undoubtably higher, and I don't expect a huge gap, but I'm unconvinced that RE4 is in front and on the overall total at this time.

Comment

I went through and dug out some old data. Here is RE2's data as of a few years ago.

Dreamcast - 65K
                              PSone - 1.288M
                              N64 - 325K

There's no data on the Dual Shock release unfortunately. But even then, it's impossible for RE2 to be ahead at this point. RE1 was more popular than RE2 in the US, but isn't reflected due to the nature of the game's SKUs and Japan throwing things off in favor of Biohazard 2. As a single SKU, nothing beats Biohazard 2.
                              Last edited by cvxfreak; 11-14-2008, 05:12 AM.

Comment

By western, are you factoring in PAL regions? If not, then the issue is up in the air. Had RE2 been whored out as much RE4 in such a close period of time after the original SKU release, totals would've likely been in its favor even with NPD figures.

As with all sales data, I'd rather take a company's shipped number over NPD and others. Particularly that the NPD excludes the world's largest retailers that has sold quite a bit of game hardware and software since the early 90's.

Doesn't matter either way, since as you said, RE2 is still Capcom's most successful single release ever for the series, regionally or worldwide.
                                Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 11-14-2008, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X