Eurogamer's Hands-On on Resident Evil 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes! More characters are returning!
    I knew all that crap about no one else is returning was a big lie. How can this be the greatest Resident Evil ever if it only features Chris and Wesker?

Comment

Originally posted by Umon Daisuke View Post
      The REmake wasn't exactly the financial success Capcom wanted it to be, and frankly, the idea of remaking games is rather ridiculous.
      Actually, the REmake sold over 1.25 million copies, it did fairly well. And since RE2 is Capcom's 2nd best-selling game of all time, it only makes sense to do so.

Comment

Obviously REmake suffered from being a kiddy-friendly gamecube exclusive. If it had been multi-platform it would be interesting to see how many extra units it would have sold.
        "I've got 100 cows."
        "Well I've got 104 friends."

Comment

REmake would have sold a LOT more had it been on PS2, I think. The Gamecube was the lowest selling console out of the PS2, NGC, and XBOX.

But still selling 1.25 million copies is pretty amazing, considering.

If they made a RE2make for Wii, it'd sell like hotcakes.

Comment

Well, on the RE2 REmake, I think the wii RE1 port is going to help them decide on if they are going to make the RE2 REmake. They get good sales, it might push them over the edge. But im not getting the wii port, cuz I have a perfectly fine GC version for 30 bucks cheaper.

Comment

I'm gonna go ahead and say it makes sense that eventually they'd do a RE2 remake, it was too popular for them not to.

I would personally like to play it. I know we all want more new things from Capcom, but I like the idea of them revisting their classics because in turn, that might make them realise what was so charming about them in the first place and we can avoid more games like Resident Evil 4, which I know a lot of us feel just wasn't that Resident Evil-like.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
                REmake would have sold a LOT more had it been on PS2, I think. The Gamecube was the lowest selling console out of the PS2, NGC, and XBOX.
                Not necessarily. Being on a "small" platform might've actually helped boost the sales.

There are many "big names" on the PS2 that didn't even reach the million mark.

Originally posted by Umon Daisuke
                Not quite Carn. What you listed is technically correct, but it's 12X for a single layer disc which is effectively cut down to half with DVD-9's. Transfer rates peak IIRC at the centre of the disc too.

The main difference is that BD is a CLV type drive, while DVD is CAV.
                Since I'm lazy and all that, here's a nice pair of charts:

For those wondering:
                CLV - Constant Linear Velocity
                CAV - Constant Angular Velocity

In simple words (if I've got this right. I'm no tech-wizard.):
                CLV = Old thingy from the CD days. Changes the speed the disc spins at to make sure it always reads at the same speed. Basically used to prevent your music CDs from playing at the wrong speed and stuff.

CAV = Came riding in with high speed optical disc formats, HDDs and such. Data is usually read at about half the speed at the inner circles of the disc and full speed at the outer circle. (wiki article sucks, by the way.)

Comment

A RE2 remake with PS3 graphics would be sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Comment

Re 2 Remake would be great but I don't really think it will happen.

Comment

Call me crazy, but I'd love to see a HD "remix" of either Zero or REmake. Even a brand new game with pre-rendered backgrounds would be great; system resources are freed up so 1920x1080 at 2-4X MSAA would be feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by Umon Daisuke View Post
                        Call me crazy, but I'd love to see a HD "remix" of either Zero or REmake. Even a brand new game with pre-rendered backgrounds would be great; system resources are freed up so 1920x1080 at 2-4X MSAA would be feasible.
                        Ditto.

It still puzzles me why there isn't more use of yesterday's hardware mastery on next gen hardware. (It's as if during every new console cycle, all the "tricks" are tossed out the window and everyone's back to the basics. Of course, there's new hardware to adapt to, but that doesn't mean you can't abuse the same modeling and texturing tricks again.)

Not only do some last gen games look pretty darned impressive when running on more powerful hardware with some simple smoothing and AA tossed in, but you also have the additional resources to get rid of any technical issues from then + pump up the action even more without it really being much of a problem.
                        (Which reminds me; someone hit Sony, hard, and tell them to get ICO and SotC up and running on the PS3 as PSN titles or something. And Capcom should do some Episodic DLC version of Outbreak... Like... Now.)

Comment

They are dreaded when they are mandatory on your gaming console.
                          Having to spend 15~20 minutes installing Devil May Cry 4 before you can even play it is a big NO. Even worse if you've got... say, a 20gb or 40gb, or whatever, HDD and like 10 games with a mandatory install, so you can't fit all your install files on the drive at the same time. Then pulling out DMC4 for some quick comboing before you catch the bus is out of the question, 'cause the game wont even be done installing before you're already half-way to the moon on that on bus.
                          The time it takes to install is a complaint I really don't understand. It makes me feel like I must be from another planet (maybe I am?). You do it once for 10 minutes and the game runs better for the hours and hours you'll spend playing it. A lot of us have waited 2 or 3 years for RE5. So now we're all gonna be seriously pissed off because we have to wait another 10 minutes? Why would you want to play a brand new game you've just got for 10 minutes before catching a bus? Maybe I should write a book entitled 101 things to do while waiting for your PS3 game to install? I had no idea people were in such need of ideas...
                          It's not a necessity of all PS3 games anyway. Uncharted (among others) showed a game can run great straight of the blue-ray. But my point is, if they need to have an install, to have the game run better, then please do it!
                          The space on your HDD is more of an issue. My 60gig filled up damn fast with demos and trailers. But Sony lets you stick any bigger HDD in it (that fits) or you can just hook up an external one with a USB.
                          I agree Mr.Crazy!
                          I mean REmake looks awesome as is but I can imagine something similar in widescreen 1080p. That would be super-real, insane!!!

Comment

REmake2 would easily be one of the better games of all time.

Comment

I've always been under impression that disc's read like this as you can see when the disc reaches the outside the transfer speed goes up as it's reading a larger space "the coloured circles", 12X would represent the maximum read speed of your laser.
                              No drive reads at it's maximum rate anyway it's more like half to 3 quarters so the drive doesn't produce read errors. Also DVD9 should have double the transfer rate of a DVD5 as it's pushing more data through the laser with same surface area reading both layers at same time with files split across both layers.
                              Last edited by kevstah2004; 11-15-2008, 09:29 PM.
                              If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X