No announcement yet.

RPD Dispatch 6 - Resident Evil (Movie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPD Dispatch 6 - Resident Evil (Movie)

So, I forgot to make this topic

Will anyone be joining us in our movie watching? Gene suggested that I check out Romero's original script, and after discussing things with Rombie a bit, I found that the script is infact real So I'll try and give it a read through before the podcast so we can discuss it as well a bit. I'm hoping he can call in and expand upon that a bit. I think its some interesting stuff.

Another interesting thing he provided was an early script by Anderson. I'll attempt to give that a read through as well. I got my copies all printed out and ready to go
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 11-13-2008, 03:17 PM.

The early Anderson script is even worse if i remember correctly. I think the roles of JD and Rain were swapped round and in the end the survivors pile into an armoured car and rumble on into Raccoon City.

The Romero script would make a great discussion i think.
    "I've got 100 cows."
    "Well I've got 104 friends."

Comment

Yea I actually read through the romero script a few weeks ago,let's just say it has it's moments of both bad and good. It would have been intersting to see the s.t.a.r.s. team in the movie but I don't know if romero's portrayal would've been well recieved.Then again, i guess anything would have been better than no s.t.a.r.s. team at all. I second that TheBatMan.
      Last edited by REmaster; 11-13-2008, 04:33 PM.
      "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
      Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

I didn't know about an early Anderson script... is there any place where is available for download or is it a collector's item?

Comment

I think it I read it on www.residentevilfan.com
          "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
          Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

can i join in DOT, im trying to make a commentary track to be played during the movie rifftrax style.

Comment

We got a full cast already Heres both scripts if anyones interested, courtesy of Rombie.

Comment

ok, but if your goin to do apocolypse next please look me up

Comment

I really don't like Romero's script.... we would have the same bullshit about it not being true to the series, even with the mansion and everything...

I like the first movie.... It's not my favorite, not even close to it, but I like how it doesn't touch the series in a way.... it's set on unexplored territory, it doesn't mess up (ok, only a little bit) with the story and the characters....
                  Last edited by -Evil Shady-; 11-13-2008, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for bringing back that amazing feeling of complete and utter disappointment that I got when I first saw this movie on DVD.

Comment

Honestly, I think Romero's Resident Evil would have been worse than Anderson's in the same sense that I consider Silent Hill a worse video game movie than, say, Super Mario Bros. or Street Fighter. No, really.

Perhaps I should explain. Or at least try to explain. For me, Romero's Resident Evil was close enough to the game that all of the changes bothered me that much more. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Anderson's films were so far removed from the source material that the blatant changes didn't really bother me, because I didn't expect anything else.

In the case of Romero, you have someone who seems to have really understood the source material, which is why it was all the more disappointing to see him so liberally screw with the established lore. It's like with Silent Hill. The art direction and visuals of the movie were spot on. Probably the most faithful any video game movie has been to its inspiration. But it's that very fact that made the rest of it (the story, the script, the acting, etc.) so utterly disappointing, and frankly, downright embarassing.

You clearly had someone who, if nothing else, understood the visual aspect of Silent Hill. It's almost like leading you into a false sense of security. It draws you in initially, but then when you get to the actual substance (or lack thereof) of the film, you are left sorely wanting.

On the other hand, when the filmmakers mess up everything so spectacularly like in the aforementioned Super Mario Bros. or Street Fighter, I find it much easier to watch those movies, because there are no redeeming qualities (at least not in the same sense as Silent Hill's visuals). I know what I'm getting into with them. It's not a bait and switch. I'm not saying that's what the Silent Hill filmmakers intended, mind you. It's just the best way I can describe it.

As I said, I'm not sure any of that makes sense, but I hope it does.

Comment

i actually have an resident evil movie story.

my dad took a day off to see the movie and i was really psyched...then after seeing it i wanted to kill him ymself and the theatre staff.

my friend took me dragging to apocalypse and after wards i told him all it was missing was a musical number and i could have mistaken it for freakin beauty and the beast...with guns.

also i told him if he took me to see extinction i would kill him with a copy of tokobots. then he tried to make me watch it on DVD...i never took the amtrak until that day!

so in all i will rent degeneration before i buy because if it does indeed rule i will take a knife and fork and eat my leg

Comment

How I managed to get through the film, I'll never know.
                          See you in hell.

Comment

You guys are way too harsh on it. I sort of agree with Archelons point, that the changes didn't bother me so much, because it was so far removed from the main plot of the games.

Honestly, I don't think its bad film. The only thing I really took issue with is Michelle Rodriguez. Shes way too type-cast. I'm not sure if thats her fault or the people who get her on projects.

Comment

ok so the first one wasn't bad, but it felt like chinese water torture, or a bad scifi movie.
                              Last edited by riderkid; 11-13-2008, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X