No announcement yet.

RPD Dispatch 6 - Resident Evil (Movie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I read of Romero's script, he did know what he was dealing with a bit better than Anderson (as Archelon stated). However from what I remember (and its been a long time since I've skimmed it), his characterizations were a bit off. Ada was a researcher and Spencer's lover (I think), and Wesker seemed to be a bit more on the "Oh hi guys...I'm gonna go crazy now!" side. The STARS members...actually seemed rather flat to me.

This is only my opinion...and like I said its been a looong time since I read the script. I think I read it before RE4 went to the PS2 actually...so yeah...its been a while.

I do think one of the reasons why people would have rather had the Romero version is because of his movie history...and because his movie actually included more of what the games were made of. However, I think his movies stood the chance of being greater disappointments (if that's possible) to fans.

We'll really never know since a movie is really based on both the script, and the actors that make it come to life. A shitty script can be forgiven if an actor is good enough, but a good actor can be ruined by a shitty script (again...goes both ways).

There's my thoughts guys...I hope its not too long winded.
    sigpic
    Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

I'm intending to make an MP3 at least because, although I'm not a fan of the movies at all, I have some weird twisted interest in their devleopment. I think thats really just due to my interest and background in Film and Television.

I really should have tried to organize to use Skype with you guys, but I'm worried the line distance between here and the US would cause problems akin to Mr. Spencer just across the Atlantic.

I'll try and record something before Sunday. I've got a cold right now so it will be interesting to say the least.

Comment

I hear ya rombie. I had a cold when I finished my recording a few days ago, but I have a geeky kinda voice anyways

Damn I forgot to mention that in my recording Dot but I totally agree with you about Michelle Rodriguez, I thought almost every line she said was cheesy because she was a generic "tough" character.
        Last edited by Dot50Cal; 11-14-2008, 01:05 AM.
        "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
        Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

I just got finished reading Anderson's early script. Theres a few changes and I marked them down as I went so I can lay them out during the podcast. I'll get to Romero's tomorrow.

John and I also finished the movie, so thats all thats left ;)

Rob, if you want to give Skype a shot it might work, but with a guy in Japan, Britain, and the States, it'll be tough coordinating time, haha. We're set to record at 9PM EST (East coast). For perspective on that (if you have your time set right on the boards) its 2:07AM right now.

Add me on skype "bifftannentruewinner" and we can discuss it a bit

Comment

9PM EST Saturday = 3PM Sunday locally. I should be around for that. I'll give the line a test when I get home from work tonight.

Comment

Originaly I wanted to say something about Romeros script in my message, so I dowloaded it, stared to read it and... stopped right after the "Chris sleping with Jill" part. I belive it was the 2nd page. But I would still love to hear what you guys will say about it. And will you mention the movie alternative ending (that sucked)?
              "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Chris banged Jill? Maybe I should read this script.

Comment

No actual "bang" part, it is revealed in the very beginning that they are lovers, cause she wakes up in his bad, and all that stuff that usually goes after it. And sure read the script,I just had no guts to finish it
                  "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Banging > implied banging.

Nevermind what I said about reading the script.

Comment

Yea I really had to struggle to get through that part, as well as the rest of the script. It seemed to me like the whole script was taking abunch of characters/scenes from the game and then altering them to the point where they pretty much had nothing to do with it. Sometimes I just don't understand why it's so hard for people to make a script based of a best-selling game when they pretty much have their work cut out for themselves. Obviously, you shouldn't make durastic changes to the plot/characters if that's what drew in all the fans. I hated to see Romero's script scrapped since he was one the game's influences, but it just had too many problems.
                      Last edited by REmaster; 11-14-2008, 01:35 PM.
                      "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                      Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

The one thing I just hate about Romero's script is that he turned Chris from a marksman from a special force into a native American that contemplate nature... I really don't understand why he did that.
                        Apart from that, the script is ok. It isn't 100% true to the game, but at least it tries to tell the game's story one way or another instead of creating super Alice and evil AI :/.

Comment

I enjoyed whaching Anderson's film I gess it's because there ist any other live action resident evil films out there at the moment and I gess that's why I enjoy whaching them the only problem with Anderson is in one of his interviews he said he's always been resident evil fan and he always wanted to make live ation films and make them the way he see fits not the fans way but his way and that why most fans think his films are shit. But I think the 1st one was the best out of the other too the second film it the poorist one out of all of them I think we will get other people out there who might do there own verison of resident evil I re read though Romero's original script that that has some intresting part in there like.

Comment

The phone line on skype is open now. So if anyone wants to call in, you can do so now.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
                              Chris banged Jill? Maybe I should read this script.
                              Taken from the script itself

INT JILL'S APARTMENT DAWN

CHRIS walks into a characterless apartment. He quietly
                              sheds his clothes. Even in silhouette, we can see that his
                              body is in perfect shape, not pumped, but lean and tight.
                              Moving lithely, with the natural gr-ace of a cat, he eases
                              himself into a bed where...

...a beautiful young girl, JILL VALENTINE, seems to be fast
                              asleep. As Chris nestles in beside her, we see that her
                              eyes, facing away, are open. Chris gently drapes an arm
                              around her and lets his body relax.

CHRIS
                              (A whisper) Glad you're still
                              here, lady

JILL
                              It's my apartment.
                              For some reason when I pasted and posted it, the word ***** was **** out but oh well...there you go. Like I said...re-reading the script...the characters are bleh. Ada is Marcus's lover I think...not Spencer's like I thought at first. Again...been a while...and I dont plan on reading it again.

edit again- Um....why is the word gr-ace edited out?

Anyway...Marcus Confirmed as Ada's lover.

ADA
                              The man I loved, John Marcus...
                              developed the organism that caused
                              all this. He... he did it for
                              humanitarian purposes. It was
                              taken away from him...for in-human
                              purposes...by men like you!

WESKER
                              No, ma'am. Men like me... are just
                              errand boys. Sent in to do the
                              wet-work. All of the glory. None
                              of the benefits.
                              If anyone wants to read the script...just google it.
                              Last edited by Bertha; 11-15-2008, 12:56 AM.
                              sigpic
                              Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

***** is a dirty word... don't ever mention it

Comment

Working...
                                X